Post mortem | FerrariChat

Post mortem

Discussion in '360/430' started by vvvmd, Aug 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    My 430 left me stranded last Friday night with a burning smell and smoke coming from the front of the engine. Finally got around to removing the acces cover and found that the airconditioner pulley is siezed and there is oil on the under tray. Would switch it ou myself but don't have the gear to evacuate and recharge the system. Sigh....

2. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not sure about the 430, but my 348 had the standard a/c attachment sizes. It did not take any "special equipment" to work on. So if you get the parts, you may be able to get a local auto shop to help you replace it. How many miles are on your 430?

3. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    14K. Have a local guy that can handle the replacement. Just need to track down a compressor

4. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    I have a compressor for sale from a 430. Pm me if interested.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Polar Bear does rebuilt compressors for a reasonable price.

6. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am curious, how is oil on the under tray related to the AC belt?

7. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Compressor died froze and oil blew out of compresor

8. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    You get what you pay for. Wouldn't trust Polar Bear with my compressor again. They don't stand behind their work to repair the damage caused by their shoddy work.

9. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    So you've searched out 5 old threads mentioning Polar Bear just to trash them. Why dont you explain the situation rather than randomly bitching?

kes7u likes this.
  10. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    It is not trashing to comment on a vendor based on actual experience, especially when it can help others in the future. My post was in direct response to another that simply stated they provide the service at "reasonable price". I posted more detail about their refusal to pay for the collateral damage caused by their shoddy work on another thread. If you wanted more details you could've either asked for it or searched for it. Either one would've been more useful than just attacking a post intended to alert others about how a particular vendor handles problems caused by their poor quality work.

SoftwareDrone likes this.
  11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the compressor has gone bang and blown the oil out, you might want to think about getting the condenser cleaned out, in case any swarf has got into it- drier will need changing as well

12. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    And yet you drudged through the search button bringing threads back from the dead to state "you get what you pay for" without any relevant details to substantiate your basis for their "shoddy work and damage". That significantly reduces your credibility and makes it appear as a smear campaign rather than objective guidance for future customers. Just food for thought, you may want to take a bite.

newwurldmn likes this.
  13. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    Yes, the drier will be replaced and the whole system will be chemically flushed. That is the cost that a reputable vendor would take responsibility for especially when they admit the damage was due to their negligent work.

@joe k, Is this relevant enough?
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/where-to-get-550-ac-compressor-rebuilt.445303/#post-146741685

Not really interested in smear campaigns against anyone. I asked for my compressor to be sent to them because of good reviews I read about them on this forum. Would you rather my recent experience with them be kept under wraps?

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Your post gave zero details of your claim. If you really wanted to "warn" people, rather than just venting, you would have started a thread detailing your experiences, not searched out long dead threads with keywords and posted vague accusations.

15. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    What details do you think my post should've included?

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I would start by hitting the “post new thread”, then coming up with a creative title such as, “My experience with Polar Bear rebuilding my compressor”, and then proceed to write a summary of what specifically happened that caused the dissatisfaction with the experience.

efg2014, JoeTSI and kes7u like this.
  17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #17 root, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    That is certainly one way to do it but not the only way. I'd leave it up to the moderators to decide what is acceptable and what is not. If you don't find my post to your liking, informative or appropriate then you can just ignore it or report it.

18. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Dude you just need to clean the sand out....

JoeTSI and kes7u like this.
  19. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thank you for posting this on this thread as it directly relates to the issue posted. I would not have known to go to another thread to read about this.

root likes this.
  20. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    You're welcome. Glad there are some who get that there is no reason to clutter the forum with additional threads dealing with related topics not withstanding the impertinent opinion of some dingdong.

21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    No, just go through and bring up several dead threads in multiple forums from years ago by posting vague bashes on a company. Because THAT's not cluttering at all.

I guess driving with no A/C eventually gets to ya..

Skidkid, kes7u and JoeTSI like this.
  22. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    As I told Riad in another thread, when his rebuilt compressor failed, Bear redid it at their cost, but would not cover the cost of labor to refit. Sounds perfectly fine to me and about as good as you could expect. Bear has a good reputation, and stands behind their work.

Riad- You need to stop your vendetta against Bear. It is not helpful to anyone, especially since you have not fully explained what happened in most of your complaints.

efg2014 and RedNeck like this.