Warning! That 458 sound! | FerrariChat

Warning! That 458 sound!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by kandi, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    jem890, Chizz, Caeruleus11 and 6 others like this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    And there are those who say sound is of little relevance... :p

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    :) :) :) :) yeah, sound doesn't matter. HAHAHA!!!!!!!

anishka, xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    sick. novitec?

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Sounds like maybe decatted straight pipe

6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    U think? Pretty high pitched for a 458. Reminds me of my FF novitec. Either way sounds amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Nothing will ever come
    Close to
    That though;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Says S-Line w straight pipes on owner's IG. @brentruiz_

Caeruleus11, ttforcefed and tekaefixe like this.
  9. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Thanks. His neighbours must love him for that sound :D

tekaefixe likes this.
  10. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Prefer the 458, too raspy for me, prefer high pitch.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Except this is a real F1 derived engine;)

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have some sound advice. Buy a 458.

Avia11, Wazmo, tekaefixe and 3 others like this.
  13. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    From the F8 Tributo thread

I had the lucky encounter of following a pista into the office this morning. Definitely louder than a stock 488. However, when a 458 ripped by flat out in the opposite direction it was very clear that not only does that car sound better, but also is much, much louder than the Pista.

14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m one of those guys. Sound is part of the overall package. 458 sounds great but I’ll take a f8, 488, pista over one any day of the week and twice on Sunday’s.

Please carry on with your acoustical love fest.

15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #16 Shadowfax, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    I'm with you on this. Needless to add while 458 sounds good for what it is, sound-wise (to my ears) it isn't a patch on my .23rs with JCR bi pass - no contest. And then there is the rest of the performance package - which again is no contest/game over. Pista will be the same story there I imagine - no contest/game over. What a 458 owner doesn't know won't hurt them and that's a good thing depending upon individual situations. The worst possible thing to do can be accepting the keys to a Pista or .23rs to drive as that would be seriously painful for a quite while afterward. I would however agree the atmo sound is seductive in its own right vs the turbo but when put up against a superior overall package, which also sounds good turbo'd, sound on its own loses significance in the grand scheme of things. I find it's a bit like having to answer someone asking which is more enjoyable to drive out of the Pista, 2rs and 3rs. Answer is they are all utterly amazing. So many incredible cars to drive now for me it doesn't make sense to drive a car that in comparison is left wanting in the other areas these newer cars are delivering upon. But again what you don't know wont hurt you until such point you find out the reality of the situation. And then, reality bites.

Il Co-Pilota and SoCal to az like this.
  16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Now that is nice and natural engine sound.

Dosen't try to sound like it's revving three times the rpm it actually is. Nothing beats the sound of an engine that is alive and breathing.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #19 Shadowfax, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Pretty certain that if the Pista flew past in the opposite direction flat out it would sound like it's drowning out the 458 going flat out and you may not even hear 458 over it unless it had a pipe on it. I think you just need to put things into perspective when comparing one car that's going flat out at full revs vs the other which is not. I've never got the whole 458 fuss with the sound as to my ears whilst it sounds good its not that special in comparison to the other atmos of today that sound way better to most people (perf, 3rs .2 etc).

The other thing to consider whilst on this whole 458 sound fantasy trip is that if a Pista was going flat out against a 458 going flat out the Pista would smoke the 458 so badly it would probably suck the doors off it as it went past.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    ... double entendre certainly intended! :)

20. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    And although difficult for some to grasp, I have extreme respect for your view of the matter, which albeit different from mine, helps me get a clearer picture of the whole matter and helps get things into perspective, namely when you express it the way you always do; like a gentleman.

Have a great weekend.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

SoCal to az likes this.
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Rather have the better sound and looks over more hp that aren’t usable on the street

Avia11, kane00, Vegas CS and 6 others like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #23 Shadowfax, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Fair enough. I'd agree with you on the HP thing. The big horse power is nice and is definitely of an advantage on certain occasion - no question - but it's not essential if the less powered car drives on equal footing and you are on the go through tight corners. Things can even out under those circumstances. That said 458 is now some way back against the newer cars in the handling and suspension stakes so the sound which is a subjective element anyway is really the thin end of the branch for the model now. Even in its heyday I personally never understood all the fuss with its sound particularly in comparison to other atmo's (lambo Porsche etc) which to me sounded better. I think the 12 cyl Ferrari is in a different league altogether there but 458 has quite a tinny sound down low and sounds pretty weak unless its revving its tits off up high. This is where the 488 sounds better to my ears having the more meatier and purposeful note to it on idle and in the lower more usable rev ranges. Both are good but with F8 and Pista stealing the limelight there does seem to be a bit of insecurity going on. Frankly if there is any trade off in sound I doubt any 488 or Pista owner is going to be all that bothered about it even though I do get the whole atmo argument.

PS. Not sure if the claim of better looks is all that sustainable but to each their own on that one even though it is a nice thought for one to uphold.

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Different people like different music. Different people like different Fcar sounds. Best

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’m with Ttforcefed....sound is top on my list....maybe because I grew up playing the violin and my mother (my teacher) was always on me about perfect pitch.

To each his own.....

I find it humorous yet the discussion ad nauseum that a 458 video strikes up, yet again, the tireless debate between the 458 and 488.
    No one even asked about the 488 in this thread.

Great day to drive my Speciale today...hope 488 and Pista’s don’t stone me.

Sent from my 16M