458/488 Spider retractable hardtops, any problems? | FerrariChat

458/488 Spider retractable hardtops, any problems?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Viper830tt, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    Looking at a spider instead of a coupe for either model. Ive heard all about body rattling issues with the 458 spider but I think I'll be ok with this one. The real burning question I have is regarding the roof durability. Has anyone had any issues with the mechanism failing on them? If so how what kind of repair costs do you see? I live in the midwest/east where weather changes quickly so I foresee a lot of open-close-open cycles.

2. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    #2 Randyslovis, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    The short answer is no.
    I have a 2013 whose roof is lowered 99% of the time I drive it.
    My only recommendations would be: lubricate the rubber frequently with something like Griot's rubber and vinyl care. Non silicone based. The other is to lubricate the metal hinge points with a silicone/WD 40 spray (that has a focused attachment so it is not all over the place).
    These 2 simple steps have kept away ANY squeaks/rattles, etc.
    My dealer tech who has repaired innumerable 360/430/Cali roofs says it is designed really well. None of the fishing line/perishable parts they have. Pretty much all steel mechanism. Done by Webasto (as I was told) who do the German sedans.
    More importantly, with most things mechanical, frequent use seems to make them function better not worse. Last thing you want is a hinge locking up from disuse.
    Best

tsmithmdtx and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    No. 2012 458
    Spider. Nothing but annual maintenance by the dealer.

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    My 2014 Spider's folding roof mechanism went on the blink 18 months from new at about 4000 miles. Part was covered under warranty but had to be sourced from Italy so for 1 month I had to keep the top up while waiting. I put a piece of blue painter's tape over the roof switch as it was second nature to lower the top as soon as I started the engine.

My California's folding roof never failed after 2 years. It had it's usual squeaks/creaks. Didn't really bother me.

5. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Nothing, nada, niente, rien, nichts!
    It’s German (webasto) so it’s rock solid but use it! That’s the secret.
    Follow other tips already provided.

Cheers!

6. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I didn't know that it was sourced from a German firm. Seems like the trend lately though I think it's the best for firms like Ferrari, Lotus, and Aston Martin. Too bad the switches couldn't be the same (friend broke the one for his 458 coupe side mirrors recently). This was one of those things that worried me from the start, but it's good to know that it isn't really an issue. Knowing my luck, it would have failed with the roof open just as I was about to park in an open lot right before one of the flash rainstorms we get out here!

Thanks everyone! it's impressive to see how Ferrari has improved the durability of their cars over the years, although there is still room to grow.

7. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    No issues here...

Ray,

8. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Being in Michigan I open and close it all the time. 3 summers and no issues.

9. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    The two flaps are powered by cables. If the flaps go out of alignment when folding it can fail to fold in time, causing the cable to snap when the top folds into itself.
    It happened on my 2012 spider.
    Make sure the flaps are well aligned, the dealer can do this adjustment at service if you find the flaps not in tandem.

If the cable snaps, dealer doesn’t have a fix. They asked me to replace the whole top mechanism as there are no individual parts. Getting an independent to machine the part and reassemble the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I did have a cable snap on my 488 Spider. It sounded like a gunshot , scared the piss out of me. It was fixed by the F dealership a few days later. Best , Kirk.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Had a 458 Spider and a 488 Spider. Top up and down continuously.
    Never had any issues.

12. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    No issues with top at all. 98% top is down....

Ray,

13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I had problems with my Cali T top when it was only a month old. It was a bad sensor from the factory. The 488 Spider top has been flawless in the 15 months I have owned it.