FCA membership for a non-Ferrari owner. | FerrariChat

FCA membership for a non-Ferrari owner.

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Stellalostinpdx, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stellalostinpdx

Aug 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike H.
    Greetings! First time poster, may or may not stay depending on how welcomed I'll be in the long run.

Straight to brass tacks I am not currently, nor will I be in the early foreseeable future, a Ferrari owner. My income deems me a mere mortal and my Italian fix is a Rosso 500 Turbo. However, I am particualy enamoured with Ferrari as a brand and have wanted to immerse myself as much as I can in the culture surrounding them.

Despite being told by a previous FCA member that I may not enjoy a membership I've decided to try it for myself anyway. My question is, as a member are there still events a non-ferrari owner can attend that won't step on anyone's toes (as it were.) I've emailed NWRFCA regarding my query and never got a response, the response I did get from FCA direct was rather placid and pointed me to reread the membership requirements.

To keep with the exclusivity of the brand and I do not intend on joining any ride and drives, but would still like to socialize and get an intimate view into Ferrari ownership. I am putting plans in place to purchase one eventually, so being proactive ensures a better ownership experience on my part when that day comes.

I'm aware of RTGT holding public social events such as the wine tasting at Oregon Wine Cellar last year, events like these I feel would be a happy medium for an up-and-comer without putting anyone else out. I noticed the concours this year was member-only which is one reason why I might be better served to try out a membership.

It is my intent to register at the end of October or so, this should ensure my membership will run well into the prime of the 2020 driving season and I'll determine then whether a 2nd year is worth my time.

Thanks in advance, hope you all have a wonderful evening.
    -Mike

2. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    #2 windsock, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    FCA club membership has no requirement to own a car and the NWFCA is an extremely welcoming group. Anyone that discouraged you from joining or did not think you would enjoy being a member is certainly a minority in the group. Join the group and enjoy Ferrari in any form you can. There is great friendships in the group and many of them started exactly where you are today and spent many years working to actually become an owner.
    One other note; parts of your thread come across as having a chip on your shoulder or certain you will be treated poorly. If you come in with the attitude that you will not be welcome or enjoy yourself I am sure you will find what you are looking for. If you arrive looking for new friends, a good time wanting to learn about Ferrari with people that share your passion at amazing events I can guarantee you will find that as well.

3. Fiorano 550

Fiorano 550 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    As stated above the FCA is open to non-Ferrari owners. 10% of the FCA membership is made up of folks who do not own a Ferrari at the present time. To join you can go to the FCA website or the Regional, NWRFCA.org website. Once you are a member, you are a full member and are therefore welcome at all Club events, and that includes whatever car you are now driving. I can’t remember a NWRFCA drive that consisted of only Ferraris. It is common to see Porsches, or a McClaren, Lamborghini or even a Corvette, or BMW in the drive group. We have members who do not own a Ferrari involved at all levels of the NWRFCA, including Board membership. So as they say, you get out of the membership what you put in it. This years’ NWRFCA Ferrari Concours was limited to NWRFCA members and their guests because of very limited parking. The past 5 years of the Concours we had acres of parking and almost 4,000 general public spectators. I waited about 30 years from the time I was ‘taken’ by a Ferrari and I was able to purchase one and that is a theme that is very common in the FCA. I’m now the Regional Director of the NWRFCA.

Stellalostinpdx likes this.
  4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is spot on. Join, and participate as much as you like; drives, social events, technical sessions, etc. There were many times where I was between owing a Ferrari, or my car was in for service, or simply scheduling an event around work, I showed up in my daily driver, no big deal (a rather old Honda Accord at one point, now its a rather old BMW sedan ;) ). It's more important you show and participate, than not show because of some concern of not having a Ferrari to arrive in. And absolutely don't be bashful, introduce yourself and have fun!

Stellalostinpdx likes this.
  5. Stellalostinpdx

Aug 2, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mike H.
    Deeply sorry for late response fellas, hit a deer a few days ago and I've been sorting out my car some. Has not been pleasant. :)

Thank you for the kind words Windsock! I promise no shoulder chips intended or desired. To that point every avenue in which I've inquired about being a member has been, until your post, underwhelming in response. So yes I did intend for a bit more pushback, but this is exactly what I was hoping to find. I do appreciate you being forthright about what to expect from other members.

Fiorano 550, as a representative of NWRFCA I personally want to thank you for addressing my question. You actually answered several more questions I didn't even consider to ask and I am elated to hear how open FCA will be to non-current Ferrari owners. I appreciate you reaching out. Hindsight being 20/20 it makes sense that not every individual in the NWRFCA would be a Ferrari owner, I just assumed everyone would be. That's good to know.

F355spider, thank you for your reply, that makes me feel so much better knowing that I'll be walking into that kind of community where the enthusiasts won't discriminate so harshly. I've given up on my own models local culture as it's directly the opposite. I will take your advice about participate greatly to heart.

Thank you all, can't wait to meet you all soon. :)

TAS37 likes this.