Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought? | FerrariChat

Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My guess is YES (unfortunately)

Not only has Mercedes dominated for years and years but it looks like RB has caught or even slightly passed Ferrari with the Honda engine.

They no longer are just fighting Mercedes anymore and I really don't see either of these companies slowing down. McLaren actually is doing pretty well with the Renault engine which we know is now where near Ferrari power.

Lucky for Ferrari Gasly is just a weak driver or it might look worse.

I don't see Ferrari becoming a mid pack team but their days of poles, straight out dominant wins, and championships are over for a long time. Maybe until the new engine specs.

This was supposed to be "their year" -- and it's gone backwards since preseason testing. Not a good sign.

DGPF, polishhammer83, Oengus and 8 others like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. Red bull have been able to somehow maximise their development every week, despite the testing ban. While we twist around like fish in a barrel, they come to the races prepared and improved

Oengus, Jakuzzi, bmwracer and 4 others like this.
  3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes - its been how many years now ????

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

12 years since Raikkonen's title, no ?

5. DF1

We need a rock concert to feed Ferrari lol.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I think so. They have a great engine now but the chassis and aero are subpar at best.

Sadly I don't think either chassis or aero department is up to scratch against red bull or Mercedes.

So whilst 2021 offers an opportunity, Ivd got my doubts they'll be there to take it

7. DF1

Until management is in place to optimize the technical efforts - we get substandard performance as a team.

stavura, jgonzalesm6, VPX and 2 others like this.
  8. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Not to mention Ferrari top management and team strategy.

9. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I ask myself if they even really care.

They make sh*tloads of money - more than ever before in the company's history. So why bother?

Oengus, stavura and william like this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Same here.
    As long as they stay among the leaders in F1, they are happy.
    Sporadic wins are enough for that, and the Scuderia is always in the news.
    It's probably the most famous about brand in motor racing, and any publicity is good publicity.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Max would deliver a gain with the Tier 2 car, but would still need some decent team management to win consistently.

Ferrari may be waiting until '21 given the dominance of Mercedes and the prowess of Verstappen.

Bas likes this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I wouldn’t bet against winning tomorrow. Cheer up! If it wasn’t for the tyres we would have had a good shot this year.

stavura, fil, 635CSI and 1 other person like this.
  13. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Ferrari has spent much of the last few seasons "going backwards".

Well, not so much going backwards as not keeping up as others progress.
    Ferrari is too much "fire and forget" -- they lack the ability to adapt.
    (IMO)

william likes this.
  14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ferrari should have won in Bahrain and Canada. Maybe Germany if leclerc didn’t beach it. Austria showed that Ferrari have problems with the Pirelli, especially the medium. MB has been tight with Pirelli and RB always had a great chassis which the low speeds at Hungary manifest. On the fastest sector in Hungary both Ferrari were smoking the competition; the choice to have less downforce in this year’s package was silly and is coming back to bite them. They need a top chassis man which they haven’t had since Rory Byrne. Allison sadly left as he couldn’t live in Italy after his wife tragically passed and I think he would have been great over time.

If Pirelli would provide a tire with a wide operating range and durability then all of the teams and fans would benefit.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  15. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I think there was hope of battling with Mercedes so long as the Ferrari engine continued to improve. But the engine performance gap to Merc has not closed much, if at all. And, now Honda seems to be drawing level with Ferrari. Add that to the superiority of the Red Bull chassis and it looks like it will become a two team race, at least until the rules change. Needless to say, Ferrari is not one of the two.

Nortonious likes this.
  16. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    Adrian Newey for Vettel. Otherwise,yes, enjoy the lower step of the podium for years.

DGPF likes this.
  17. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Nothing is going to change unless they rethink their approach to F1. They are unwilling to learn from their mistakes and fix them. How many years has the pitwall been a joke with no fixes even attempted? They've screwed over Leclerc in almost every single race, and they still favor Vettel. Top teams consistently make good decisions. Ferrari consistently make bad decisions.

18. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The strategy and management are the biggest weaknesses that do not seem to be getting fixed, Ferrari have it seems the best engine in F1 but is squandered with a poor chassis and bizarre aero concept, throw in inept pitwall decisions and the need to massage Vettel's ego and Voila - poor results. It is clear Chuck already has the measure of Vettel, the team should now be developing Chuck and finding him a new team mate.

19. DF1

Your asking them to consider a sensible performance based approach - similar to Mercedes. Clearly not something under consideration thus far. A nice summary you provide!

william likes this.
  20. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    The age of Honda dominance has arrived. I surmise the next 4 seasons will be Honda and Mercedes for the championship.

AND........ I KNOW I will get crucified for this one..... Vettel returns to Red Bull next season and could win the championship. :)

Go ahead, I can take criticism. ;)

DGPF and daytona355 like this.
  21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Don't be daft, Vettel is on his way out. Plus earns 30m plus. RB is all about driver development.

The F1 future is Leclerc and Verstappen.

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  22. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    The only Red Bull team Vettel can go to is Toro Rosso.

DGPF, william and Jakuzzi like this.
  23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Vettel gave Toro Rosso its first and only win, Monza 2008. Not a bad idea.... PLUS they have Honda engines; correct? :)

daytona355 likes this.
  24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Agreed about Honda perhaps, but not the Vettel bit; for me he is out of F1 soon.

DGPF and Jakuzzi like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

They are a 2nd or 3rd tier team.

Jakuzzi likes this.