Oil Spill 77 308 #20817 | FerrariChat

Oil Spill 77 308 #20817

Discussion in '308/328' started by timr, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Well, thank god for the FChat community. I need some help with this mystery. 1977 308 GTB.

1. See attached photo of oil on garage floor. About half a quart in my estimation. Definitely more than just a weep or drip. I back the car into the garage so the oil came from the passenger side under the engine.

2. I had the oil changed and tranny oil changed on my last visit to my mechanic. Ferrari for life mechanic and has done the ground up rebuild on the engine from day one. Well known in my area of the US.

3. I had driven the car home from the tune up and have driven one other time with no indication of any oil problems. Noticed this after I pulled out on my last effort for a trip out. Car is driven lightly, no track etc...

4. Oil dipstick shows full oil. Both plugs underneath are in place with no seepage. Cannot find any oil leak on visual inspection or any trace of where it may have come from.

5. Car runs great, oil pressure is fine, or at least before I noticed the mishap. Car has been parked with a towel underneath and no oil showing on the towel since I spotted the problem. Car has been sitting now for 2 weeks with no sign of oil on the towel. Not even a drip.

Before I call in my mechanic I thought I could at least get my diagnosis down so I understand what happened. Is there such a thing as over filling oil and if so what happens? How come I can't find where it came out of? If it's transmission where would it come out of that I can't see?

Lots of questions, any thoughts or questions for me to help solve this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks FChat community, everyone is always great here. Lots of experience.

Thank you.

Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Too much oil can be bad, though I've not personally heard of 1 extra half qt in a 308 blowing the seals.

Other areas to check:

- Cam seals, valve covers
    - Dipstick tube (at the bottom where it enters the sump)
    - Basically, all areas on the belt-side of the block

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it’s coming from the passenger side, it can be one or few things,
    Cam seals
    Crank shaft main seal
    Cam drive gear/s
    Oil pan gasket
    Or from the rear right engine mount
    Shift shat seal, the oil can run from there to the passenger side
    Or Valve cover gasket and if it’s gear oil, it could coming from the speed sensor unit Which is on the passenger side.

4. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Looks like the Exxon Valdez was parked there.

5. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    @ferrariowner totally was going to write then decided to keep it to facts! Lol

Will start checking each one. If it’s the seals could they drop that much oil in one moment? That confuses me.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Timr,
    Sorry about the flip remark. Try to determine which side the leak is on. Could be an oil cooler or oil cooler lines as well.
    Good luck.

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Also check that it is engine oil, depending on where transmission breather is, if the transmission is over filled it often blows out when hot. I know in UK the little poppet cover was often replaced with a tube so any blow off had to travel up the tube first before being expelled, routings of the hose did vary depending on who did the conversion work.

8. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    @sp1der, thanks will ck that next! Do you know where that tube/poppet cover is?

@ferrariowner, no worries on the comment! All good humor. If one can’t laugh one cant live.

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Tim you know there are four of you 308 guys there in the Seattle area that I know, you guys should get together.

10. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    @miketuason funny, one of them used to live about 4 blocks from me, he still might for all I know. I haven’t talked to any of the F guys in awhile, work etc, etc, you know the story. If you have contact info I’d love to look them up, pm me. Thanks!

11. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    The little poppet cover is on the bell housing, inboard from the cascade gears - about level with the middle idler gear in the cascade housing

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Do you have a wife or significant other with a wicked sense of humor? They may not realize that a large oil leak will wend us into a frenzy. Just a thought.

13. timr

timr Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2006
    Seattle Washington
    Full Name:
    Tim
    @Saabguy oh yes, when the topic comes up she knows she won’t see me for awhile. Lol

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Could it be that's why she dumped a can of oil under the car?

:) :) :)