Thoughts on this 550? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this 550?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by sgtpeper, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This may have gotten lost in my other thread - https://www.ebay.com/itm/123857384557

What do you all think of this one?

The pictures don't necessarily match up with the description - I think they may be older.

What do you all think?

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    The interior, as noted in the ad, has clearly been done... the Daytona seats are a close, but not original pattern. It looks like ALL of the leather is new (at least from what I can tell from the pics) - it would be interesting to learn why this happened. It’s interesting that they seem to have gone through all that work and not fix the bubbling climate control panel.

Otherwise looks like a nice car.

It is interesting that it is a German car that has a CA title... this means that they went through the trouble of getting it through the CA BAR hurdles, which is no small (or inexpensive) feat.

Good luck!

Ruben

3. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Seemed interesting to me too - they claim they fixed all the sticky items but that one picture is clearly pretty bad.

It's a shame the leather isn't a correct pattern match though...

4. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    They claim they did recover the seats correctly. Any photo showing the difference? I'm still too new to notice the difference.

They said they redid the seats because there was shrinkage. A previous owner had recovered the dash in Alcantara and the seller put it back to "stock"

5. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Sounds like a flood damaged car to me. Why else would the leather on the seats be shrinking. Better keep looking for other flood damage under the dash and balance of the car.

Chuck

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F456M likes this.
  7. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks guys. Looks like this one sold to someone else anyway. Seemed fishy for sure...

8. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The car may be available again. At 99k is it a decent deal?

It appears the leather patter is correct for a non-Daytona seat car - they just seem to have used the Daytona pattern for the seams? An old owner had replaced the dash leather with Alcantara and the seat bolster was warn so they replaced all the leather at one time.

Paint meter readings are from .2 to .6 with one being at 1.0

The recent PPI showed some oil leaks which were taken care of and the hydraulic lifters were replaced.

It's a Euro car with Tubi exhaust. It's being offered by Black Horse Ferrari in LA.

What looks like a sticky climate control area is a piece of clear plastic put over it from what he said.

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I don’t know about US prices but nowadays there should be enough no story cars around to not need to buy one with stories to tell.

10. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This one seemed pretty strong for 99k. Or have they really dipped so low?

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Somebody replaced 48 lifters?

12. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    It says the lifters on the left bank were replaced I guess?

I figured out this is the same car that also sold on BaT earlier this year for 110k and that sale didn't go through either.

13. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I would look for another car, a clearly good one. Or buy a really cheap project car and work on it. This appears to be neither..

stan996turbo likes this.
  14. sgtpeper

sgtpeper Formula Junior

May 4, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree. I've decided to pass on it. I saw the really clean on on Bring a Trailer just go for ~125 with only 13k miles and that seems like a better idea.

Search continues!