Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 93 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I did a brief drive back to back drive of Pista and 488. 488 (with valves open) is far more bassy, almost boomy. The Pista has a higher pitch to it which is closer to a 458 in pitch although of course less of a scream. Turbo whoosh is extremely prominent, you can hear the click of the clutch plate as it engages (similar to 991.2 GT3), and there is significant tire roar due to lack of sound deadening. In sum, pretty damn raw and exciting.

of2worlds, Shadowfax and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ll be honest with you- I don’t give a crap about sound differences. All these cars sound great to me. The constant obsession over the 458 sound to me is tiresome.

JackCongo, stavura, jm2 and 5 others like this.
  3. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I agree I am not sure why everything has to be compared to 458. The 458 is NA. F8 and Pista are turbocharged the sounds can Never be the same. They all sound good in their own right and lest we forget there might be other attributes to a car other than the sound.

JackCongo, pcht5, F1 corsa and 4 others like this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Exactly! Nothing wrong with the sound of the Pista, 488, f8. This constant attention to the sound is getting so tiresome.

Caeruleus11, F1 corsa and MANDALAY like this.
  5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Interesting. Sound and Ferrari go together in my mind. Major reason for a V12 car. Soon they may be all electric and you'd be Jones'n for even a turbo woosh now and again. :)

LARRYH, xfrgtr, Ash Patel and 6 others like this.
  6. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So what you are sayin is that 488, f8, Pista have no sound?

Ofcourse Ferrari and sound go together and what I’m saying is that all the cars sound great. Never ever did I get in my 488 and think- hmmm, this sounds terrible. I’m gonna sell it and buy something else.

458 is a fine car but enough with how great it sounds. The rest of the package in the newer cars is far superior.

7. WM458

WM458 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2014
    Germany
    „Will loose half it’s value in a very short space“.
    Taken a reasonable 10% depreciation p.a. results in almost 7 years time until half the value is reached.
    Everyone’s viewpoint to decide this has to be considered a very short space.
    We’re not talking McL here.;)

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Exhaust note is a factor highly valued by many and not so much by others. If the sound of the 488 is desirable, then you are among the fortunate since that is easily replicated by Ferrari. For those who cherish the more sonorous, mellifluous symphonic presentation of a NA V8,10 or 12, then the new generation of super cars will surely disappoint.

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For me the real music is the V12, period. Worshipping a V8 for its noise, be it NA or whatever, is beyond my understanding.
    It's like praising the purity of an allegedly more hardcore model and accepting the degraded stiffness of a spider, another thing I cannot fathom.
    The good news is that I'm happy with my limited capabilities though ;)

10. ChrisDiRe

ChrisDiRe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris DiRe
    I went to the F8 party in NYC last month and the car is stunning. I do have a deposit down on the Spyder whenever it comes out. But with that said, I still miss the sound and pull to 9000rpms of my old 458. Don't get me wrong - I love my 488. It's insanely powerful and handles better than the 458. But if I had the chance to buy a brand new NA Ferrari, I'd jump at the chance. Which is why I'm now considering get a 812SF. God I need help. LOL.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    488 in Canada are holding up extremely well. Used are selling for very close to MSRP.

12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    They sound better in Canada.

;)

13. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    I hate that, too, but keep calm: consider that is a test car or a car being tested with possibly a variety of non-definitive settings. Some finished cars have been already seen and the ride height wasn't that high.

SoCal to az likes this.
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It’s possible but my 488 was the same. Rode high.

15. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    From time to time I have also seen some cars riding extra high. But fortunately it doesn't seem to be the norm.

16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Bad enough that I personally would not consider buying. Ferrari to me has a high revving naturally aspirated sound. The models you mention do not represent that at all. I am old school and enjoy the NA V12 sound. Maybe I'm spoiled but going rocket fast is great for the track if so inclined but on the public country back roads the screech and bang of a V12 is heaven. I'm sure owners of the other cars have no issue with them and enjoy them just as much for other reasons but the sound is not there by comparison.

BOKE and xfrgtr like this.
  17. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    The days of NA sound are over. Sorry.

Dicecal likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    V12 is in a different league - but once it's accepted to trade the V12 music for lightness and agility (with a V8), the noise it's not relevant anymore so that NA V8 or turbo V8 does not make much difference.
    To me the V8 sound is crap anyway; apart from the music the other advantage of the V12 is mid-range torque but that is addressed by the turbo V8.
    So the turbo V8 was what made me shift from the V12 to the V8.

19. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats an interesting point of view, and I think valid.

The NA days are not over - yet- but they are fast approaching some kind of end or at least modification. Change is the only constant my friends.

I wonder when they introduced the F40 if people complained about the sound vs the V12s? Different times, etc, I know, but I wonder how this was discussed in the past.

One of the problems we have today is simply that power is (relatively) cheap. Almost anyone can have it. Back then just having big engine power was extra special.

So I think sound will be something that is important because its a differentiator. But we can see, some of us have different tolerance for changes.

20. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Although I really love the 812, it was the V12 that sealed that deal. Just nothing else like it - sound, power delivery etc all wrapped in what I consider a beautiful package.

The V8’s have their own appeal and sound has not been a consideration for me with that respect. Instead, it has been the car itself. And they are special IMO on their own without the NA.

The F40 was controversial but I don’t remember my dad being concerned about sound at all.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11 and Ash Patel like this.
  21. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    While the sound ( loud) is more entertaining to the observers, it is the driving dynamics and feel of the car as a driver that is paramount in my view. For the driver ( me).the cabin noise( exhaust/ induction noise) takes a backseat after a few seconds and the real fun is how the car behaves. If one like the engine to sing.. play with the paddles.....as an observer, the V12 sounds is a shrilll, the NA V8 is a great symphony build up, the V8 turbo is a drone that varies more in intensity than frequency to me. silly to like a car because of the noise alone.

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I highly value the exhaust note hence why I love 488 and Pista along with the my atmo 3rs. Sound has also one of the key reasons which has kept me out of a mac (at this stage). And whilst I can say my 3rs holds favorite in the sound stakes the turbos also sound incredible in their own individual way and, in the overall balance as a performance package are on equal footing at the very least....and in certain ways better.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Not in my garage.

Or you can still get an Fcar V12. That 812 spider has my interest. But revs ONLY to 8,900 rpms. :)

xfrgtr and Caeruleus11 like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yeah sure, 812 spider v12 will be incredible but in the company of others 812 is not a car that's going to go through a mountain pass like a midmount. Best to have a mix imo. That way you get to enjoy both worlds of fun.

of2worlds and jumpinjohn like this.
  25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Three words. No garage space

For both.