Carbon Fiber - Exterior of Interior | FerrariChat

Carbon Fiber - Exterior of Interior

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Coincid, Jul 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    For those who buy used Ferraris, if given a binary choice- either all carbon fibre inside or outside. Which would be the choice?

2. wojteki

wojteki Rookie

Feb 1, 2016
    Jackson, NJ USA
    Full Name:
    Wojtek I.
    Depends which car.. here would be my order of importance loosely,

- steering wheel
    - driver zone
    - (on 488) side air splitter
    - rear diffuser

- then all other tim options from there .... Arvin engine bay would be last on my list..

As for binary choice, inside vs outside, I’d have to say inside for me. You are sitting inside there staring at it driving after all :)

Voy

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I would buy the inside because I don’t drive on the outside. :)

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Inside.

That where you drive, feel, see and touch. On the outside, namely from a distance and/or for an untrained eye, you can’t always tell if a part is made of plastic or carbon fiber: you just spot a black bit (specially tricky to distinguish one from another in an all black car), front lip and rear diffuser in particular, just to name a couple.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Car in question is the F8 in Rosso Corsa. I spec'd all carbon interior. None outside.

6. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    When I did my very early 2010 458 Italia, I passed on the interior carbon on the dash for 2 reasons. First I knew I would be "flipping" it for a spider when it came out and would lose that money on trade in. Secondly, it was going to delay the car for several months. No brainer: just did the carbon wheel and paddles.
    Unfortunately, the 458 dash trim is not "metal" looking like my my prior 360/430 cars. The gray "stuff" - even if metal - did not look like something on a $250K + car. Interior carbon or even "alutex" would be my choice over standard interior based on my personal experience/tastes.
    I never considered carbon on outside of Italia.
    On my spider with race seats and full carbon dash I was ecstatic with its appearance. Plus, I did the front wings and B-pillar in carbon. As noted above difficult to really notice. But, once you do, it finishes off the car nicely.

To answer your question: interior likely more important as you really do "see it" more of the time.(As stated in above post.)
    Outside carbon much less important and should be limited to what can be seen if at all. Meaning rear diffuser on regular car is virtually invisible as opposed to a 360 CS or 430 Scud diffuser. Not to mention crazy cost when new.

Lastly, while not asked, you can add carbon trim from many quality after market companies for much less than factory cost! So I would never tell anyone to pass on a car without CF even if important as it can be added. Seats and body color are "fixed". Wheels (forged, diamond finished, etc.) and trim simple to change or add.

Best

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  7. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Not a big fan of carbon on outside unless low on car OR replacing a cheap black plastic piece.
    I find carbon instead of body colored horizontal slat of side vents of 488/F8 to break up the car's lines. On my spider the carbon B-pillar is obviously up "high". However it is replacing a piece of cheap black painted metal! So, I figured I was "improving" the trim choice, not adding CF/black at expense of body color.
    For example, I don't like CF mirrors unless on a black/dark gray car as I feel it takes away from the look of width a car that is symmetrically colored gives off.
    Best and enjoy the F8!

8. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I'm a sucker for carbon all over the place...but interior carbon while it looks good really serves no function...unless it's a carbon tub etc.

I'd buy what you like to see the most...if that's inside the car than interior...if it's more to show than exterior.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    exterior carbon depends on the color. Dark color like black, dark gray etc you dont need it as you dont see it. White car, Rosso car- carbon is nice to have as its nice contrast.

Having said that- I hate having to even think about carbon. its such a stupid thing that we are all sucked into- paying extra for something that should just be there on a 300k car.

I hope we get to a point some day where everyone just rejects carbon as an option and it becomes out of fashion. Its am marketing ploy and nothing more

PhilNotHill and ryalex like this.
  10. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    yes, Porsche does the same thing, for example you can pay a fortune for deviated stitching....

then you get into a standard production run of the mill car, and there is deviated stitching everywhere, lol

Graz and SoCal to az like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    If CF inside, it needs all of it, part from the door panels. Looks terrible if part of it is CF and part is alu, like in cars where the bridge and dash trim is alu, but then there's a CF steering wheel.

Outside depends on the car. Not a fan of the CF side vent splitter on the 488 and prefer the body colour side skirts on both 458 and 488.

Ash Patel likes this.
  12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Congratulations, great spec. You’ve got a winner.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Coincid likes this.
  13. WestCoasta

WestCoasta Karting
    BANNED

May 18, 2016
    california
    Is it possible to have too much carbon? Get as much as you can afford!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Not a money issue for me specing in or out or even both, But I hate the stuff. It certainly has no resale value added other than to be a priority to some folk buying second hand.

At the end of the day is carbon weave impregnated with epoxy. Maybe if its functional , weight , structural etc but really its only trim. Its synthetic not organic like leather

Give a flat plastic trim exterior any day. As far the inside ild rather consider the Ferrari to be an exotic sports car.

To me you cant beat the smell , look and finish of fine leather. The parts that carbon can replace the dash parts again nah for me.
    The standard silver parts look great.
    I still have LED's but all leather steering wheel. Feels great .
    For me its all about the leather and cover everything , roof , firewall and even behind the seats
    ( I have full electric ) though if I optioned the goldrake seats I would have them covered in leather also.

I see mainy cars have half / half in the interior and looks horrible , same as the outside.

Either go full exterior or interior BUT NEVER go half measures.

Lastly money better spent else where. A big factor apart from pleasing you , question will i really keep this car 5 , 10 years , forever ? Is it worth it or lets option the dearer paint say Rosso Corsa Metallizatto which shines full gloss at any angle when viewed

15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    #15 Coincid, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Carbon fibre is a massive generator of profit for Ferrari. The mark up is obscene. On the F8 , full CF inside and out costs as much as the new Corvette. And we get sucked in by the dealer who advise it is a prerequisite for resale. Furthermore, you must order it in its entirety not pick and choose. If specing CF for the exterior, the entire exterior must be CF. Likewise for the interior. Upon spotting a couple of trade in cars that were bereft of any CF, dealer remarked, “Good luck selling them.”

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Have 15 Italia with factory carbon interior & exterior & the race race seats. Never was a fan prior, but I am presently. Didn't pay a $ extra as bought it about 2 yrs ago with 3000 miles on it. It highlights the car well.

Anthony Capone likes this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    458 needs carbon inside.
    F12 and FF not so much.

Ash Patel and IloveGT like this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    For white 458 and 488s, namely with nero interior and wheels, a definite must have is the carbon fiber engine bay, imho. The perfect all black and white contrast.

Carbon fiber polarizes opinion for sure. In my personal case, although I’m sensible to arguments that say it’s nothing special, it doesn’t add resale value, etc, I think its visual effect and aggression justify selecting it. Not a very rational thing, but I like it quite a lot. In fact, next time my 458 goes to its yearly maintenance, I’m going to get a quote for the carbon fiber engine bay from my official Ferrari dealer.

And as for resale, I think carbon fiber does add value *if you like carbon*. It’s an optional piece of equipment. So is the lifter, backup camera, racing seats, etc. A highly optioned car will always generate more interest than a stripped car. I’ve never seen a full carbon Ferrari taking longer to resell than a basic car without any carbon goodies.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Full carbon -interior and exterior on the F8 is in the $60K range. On a trade in, what percentage will be recovered after 3 years. My experience with highly optioned cars is that compared to a low optioned one, the former will sell quicker if the price is only fractionally higher. In other words, 60K on a complete carbon fibre package, albeit more desirable, will return only a small percentage of the original cost. But I do really like it.

20. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    And there you have it.

Can you put a price on looking at your brand new Ferrari and forever thinking it’s not entirely to your liking, for as long as you own it? That’s the whole purpose of ordering a brand new car from the factory.

Even if it’s a purely cosmetical thing: sure, you’re bound to never regain the vast majority of money you spend on options, but doesn’t it look absolutely striking, second to none?

But that’s just me. I also like carbon, although I can’t make much of a rational case for it most of the time.

EDIT:

Regarding resale, I think it’s always a plus to have full interior carbon. It’s easier for someone to buy a preowned car and add carbon fiber bits on the outside, than buying a full carbon outside car and then having mechanics to disassemble the cockpit to change parts like central tunnel.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Shadowfax and Coincid like this.
  21. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Inside cf in my Audi S5 convertible was $250. Thousands on an Fcar. It was so cheap l had to get it.

It’s just nuts on an Fcar.

22. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’ll share some stats on resale- my car sold in a month- it was a 329k msrp 2016 488 with 5xxx miles. There were 6 other 488s at the dealer that were for sale. Mine was tastefully specced and had lots of carbon.

So it sold quickly but that doesn’t mean I got the money back from msrp- well not all of it anyways.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Well that I completely agree with. On a non exotic- for a grand or two you can have tons of carbon.

24. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    I think there are a couple of factors at play here
    1. Do you like carbon then spec as much as you want knowing you are not going to get your money back but that your car will most likely sell faster than same car without carbon
    2. If resale is very important to you then even if you don’t like carbon consider carbon fiber steering wheel with LED most prospective buyers would want to have them
    My take, get what you like and let the chips fall wherever

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    I think the inside needs to be maxed out in the carbon. This car really needs to feel the money on the inside which is where the CF comes into song. Outside it's meant to look the money anyway with the paint, wheel combo, and body design. Using CF on the outside also really depends on whereabouts. Using 488 as an example I found using a black nero gloss paint worked much better as a contrasting visual feature on sills and front splitter vs the CF which kinda got lost and didn't really contrast stark enough IMO and for the $ vs the resulting visual impact came off second best. In a way I still feel the gloss nero could be used with superior visual impact over the CF on the Pista on the outside. But hey whats done is done....the CF is still good even if not as stark as I feel it should be.

Used I would walk from a car w/o the CF in places like vents, tach and bridge. These placed are hard to retrofit with aftermarket cf.