360 brake upgrade | FerrariChat

360 brake upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bwtyler85, Apr 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    Looking into upgrading brakes on my 360 spider. Really want carbons. Just love the look of massive brakes filling the entire centre of the wheel.
    Now my question is does the 458 calipers have the same mounting dimensions as 360/430? And yes I know the disc hub is a different bolt pattern on the 458 to earlier. So was going to source 430 disc or 430 hub and 458 disc. 458 and 430 discs are the same size aren't they?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. mark.ruffley

mark.ruffley Rookie

Mar 13, 2017
    Honest opinion.. Had a 360 with standard brakes and currently have a F430 with Carbon brakes... 360 feels much better and unless you are on heavy use track days, stop just fine. The Carbons are very expensive and I'm not sure they are worth it... They do look epic but... My view, not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KC360 FL likes this.
  3. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Girodisc 2 piece rotors, ss lines, better pads and better fluid works wonders for a fraction of carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one4torque likes this.
  4. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    I do use my brake very hard on my local road up the hills. Not a question of stopping power really but is more the looks I'm after mainly. To me a ferrari should have massive brakes. Just to show even when stopped it is willing to go hard and fast. Which we all know they do.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  5. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    If you are really intent on switching to CCBs, I think it would be better to use Challenge Stradale CCB parts instead of 430 parts. You will need different wheels for clearance, and likely there are differences in the master cylinder and proportioning. Besides looks, the CCBs will produce less visible dust, but are susceptible to cracking and sensitive to wheel detailer sprays. Then there is the cost, which includes the possible diminution of value because modded cars usually bring less than original ones.

You sure you want to do this just for looks? As others noted, you don't really need more stopping power or fade resistance for even the most demanding public roads. Advanced track drivers could use a big brake conversion on this car, but it doesn't sound like that's your purpose.

[​IMG]

6. Bwtyler85

Bwtyler85 Karting

Oct 25, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Ben Tyler
    Value isn't an issue as can easily swap back to original and as far as I can tell later model brake parts are more readily available. Also I'll be getting scud wheels so clearance won't be an issue. Unless 458 brakes require bigger still. If so I'll stick with 430 brakes.

7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    You might try contacting RB Performance Brakes. They were on here with a username of racingbrake but I don't know if they still are.

racingbrake.com

They were working on replacement rotors that used Corvette CCM rotors (394mm vs. 396mm). Might give them a call and see if they have a complete retrofit available. Otherwise, check with some of the sponsors here that offer BBK kits. I know that Brembo has a CCM BBK but they are only 380mm!

Search this forum for "Carbon Ceramic Brakes for F430/F360"

8. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    If you really want to fill up the wheels, check with Brembo. They have a kit to replace for the Scud brakes that is 405mm vs. the OEM 396mm. They are also steel vs. carbon so you have some cost savings there.

However, when I inquired about this kit on a 360, lets just say their response was a not what I had expected.

one4torque likes this.
  9. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Plenty of BBK options out there.

Almost all of them will give you the desired look within the wheels.

I'd go that route before carbon. Less $, similar performance, very close visually.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The only advantages to CCM brakes on the street are zero brake dust and bragging rights at the pub. I have a CS and the brakes are great, but when I track the car, I end up using the brakes 'gingerly' because of the sheer replacement costs. There are several CCM replacements available as well as a disc refurbishing company that may be able to bring costs down.

I love the performance and look, but I doubt that I would switch to them by choice.

cavlino and f355spider like this.
  11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The costs are thankfully coming down by the month but they are still waay above steels.

I think the other advantage that few people discuss is the unsprung weight advantage vs most typical steel brake conversions. If you get ultra expensive steel racing brakes with all the lightweight center bells ofcourse this weight can be minimized but its still noticeable unsprung weight benefits to carbons and it makes for a car which accelerates, brakes and turns in quicker/sharper.

The best upgrade you can do if you track your car a lot is swap the pads, Pagid RS29's (yellow) are just awesome and the ccm's last longer with them vs factory compound (also made by Pagid).

By the way, its the total number of applications you make on CCM's, not how heavy you appy the brakes, at least that's the crude way they measure it in the dashboard ;(

RANDY6005 and one4torque like this.
  12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If those racing brakes fit under my stock wheels, I would probably purchase them. They look SICK!! :)

13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Any idea of how many $$$ you will need to change to f.i. CS brakes ? I wonder ... :)

14. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    smart man
    listen to him

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Or some Stoptech 380mm up front....reasonable cost and fills the wheel, steel though....

16. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    OP asked a question right? About 458 brakes fitting the 360 (hole pattern)?

Here’s what I know; 360 and 430 used the same std brakes (and hole pattern). CS brakes and 430 CCM are the same and will fit but you have to go 19” wheels - otherwise they will not fit. This is the easiest way to upgrade to beefier brakes (and yes - they look awsome!).

As for fitting 458 brakes (calipers or discs), to the 360... I don’t know if they will fit. I think the 458 uses a different hole pattern.

I have the CS CCM calipers (front only), combined with RB 2 piece Steel rotors. Considerably heavier than CCM discs... As 360trev states; an increase in unsprung weight will hit you if you track the car a lot - but will be cheaper...

17. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Can I pop in my two pennyworth please.
    I am currently planning to install 430 Challenge carbon ceramic on my 360 and have sourced all the parts necessary. It is quite exhausting!
    In the last few days I have been trying to mount my 4 bells onto the discs.
    The front, larger discs mounted fine except the bolts are a little short in my view.
    However I cannot mount the other 2 bells on the rear, smaller discs as the inner centre diameter is too large. If you check my pics attached you will see what I mean.
    Has anyone any idea what is wrong and what to do to rectify the problem.
    Thank you.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 3178860

18. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  19. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Did you upgrade the brake booster as well? The CCM kit I am putting together from a 430 Challenge requires an upgraded brake booster, ccm handbrakes and upgraded lines.
    id you need to

20. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    I think I have discovered the answer!
    The carbon discs I bought are 458 ones. Oddly the fronts fit the 430 Challenge bells I bought separately but the rears do not.
    The options are that I get custom made bells that will allow me to fit the 458 discs or I purchase 430 rear discs complete with bells.
    Any comments?

21. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    No it wasn’t necessary to upgrade the booster. I only did fronts so no impact on handbrake. OEM rears have been fine. Upgraded the lines and fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilotoCS likes this.
  22. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    The ccm brake booster has pros and cons...

Pros...
    It saves some weight.
    Requires less pressure on pedal to stop the car.
    Easy to just get in and drive without much learning.

Cons...
    It has less pedal feel
    I actually prefered the less assistance you get from the stock booster vs ccm version which dare I say it is a bit over servo'd for my tastes.

So while you get used to the extra servo assistance I felt the modulation feels better on the stock servo over the ccm one. It's only the weight saving that sways the scales (excuse the pun) towards use of it. If I could get a less servo'd ccm version I would actually prefer it.

23. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Many guys who track their cars regularly, toss the carbon brakes and install the cast set up. Most prefer them, and obviously cost is a factor. 4k vs 40k..

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Started to change a bit now. You can get discs for 2k each these days from other cars and swap bells.. Still too expensive but dropping every month...