Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Are we in for a long Ferrari F1 drought?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Hungary was just depressing, though not unexpected.
    Without rain there are probably two chances to end the drought this year. Monza and Spa.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Given that Kimi was the last F1 driver to clinch the title I would say the question is asked a bit too late. Let's see, what's 2007 + 21 years? Hey, only 9 more years to go...

Ferrari F1 WDCs are a bit like the Halley comet

DGPF likes this.
  3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The problem is with that is 1) Red Bull isn't going to pay Vettel the wage he wants 2) They can easily pay Newey more 3) Newey has declined enormous offers from Ferrari before. Newey knows how ****ed up the situation at Ferrari is so will steer well clear. Unless Ferrari puts in another Brawn led team, perhaps with Verstappen and Newey, I see the chance of Newey moving to Ferrari about 0% chance.

DGPF, OhioMark and william like this.
  4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Newey talks about his offers from Ferrari in his book. He got very close to signing. The main obstacle he mentions was the fact that he didn't want to disrupt his family's life by transplanting them from England to Italy.

No question that the F1 talent pool is located in England. Always a handicap for the outsiders (Ferrari, Sauber)

PS: Just realized that I don't know where Haas is from. Are they designing and building the cars in the US or in the UK?

Bas likes this.
  5. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    +1 on that. And I can see the Scuderia letting him retire, but not go to other team...

6. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    UK. Banbury...

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Red Bull makes Newey quite happy I imagine. Not a toxic work environment helps a lot.

Haas I think UK based.

DGPF, Jeronimo GTO and VPX like this.
  8. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Factory in Banbury, Oxfordshire.

Design operations in Maranello, Modena.
    Aerodynamics in Parma, Varano de Melegari.

375+ likes this.
  9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I thought so: Clearly a US based company. :p

10. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Gasly is not weak. Give him time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed all heartly!

Bas likes this.
  12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So you agree we need to give him time because he's weak.

william and OhioMark like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

I have not said that. We gave time to verstappen because he made countless mistakes. Giving time to someone is to improve an area not because he is weak. Not sure why u changed what I said.

14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Patience was given with Verstappen because he showed promise from the get-go. Gasly has not.

DGPF, william, VPX and 3 others like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agreed. Loads of pace all the time. Few mistakes here and there, but that pace never disappeared.

Maldonado was fast at times but also dead slow when things didn't go right. And boy did he crash a lot.

Gasly so far has quite simply not been anywhere near the pace he should be on.

william, VPX, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Oh did someone say Stroll LOL :)

stavura and VPX like this.
  17. AbarthDave1

AbarthDave1 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2015
    Marietta
    I was being facetious. If Ferrari stays with it's current management, it will not be up to snuff with Mercedes or Red Bull next year.
    IMHO

DGPF, william and Bas like this.
  18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Err? Hasn't it already been a long drought? I think we've already treaded into "this is the end of Ferrari in F1" territory...

DF1, Bas and daytona355 like this.
  19. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Wasn't Vettel supposed to be the key to ending the drought?

DGPF likes this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    IMO our issue is not with the drivers. Sometimes they have not helped themselves, but yesterday's pace (+pace overall) and the whiffs on strategy through the season so far is not on them... Actually given the circumstances I'm happy with Seb, he's trying his best and likely made some errors due to the pressure and inability to have the car right the way it should be

These incremental improvements, idk if that's the answer vs a more comprehensive overhaul and analysis. Even if it means we just devote more towards 2020

stavura, VPX, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  21. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    It's a combo of both no? A strategy biased towards maximizing points for the #1 driver regardless of how much slower he is than the #2 driver = lunacy.

william, DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Agreed, logically. I think though that Ferrari actually worry about upsetting Seb if they start giving preferential treatment to LeClerc, the supposed rookie to learn at his knee this year. Seb has been let down by ferrari for many years now, not just with the current car, I think management actually feel awkward not allowing him to get the go ahead of LeClerc since neither is going to win the championship, and who cares whether they are second, third, fourth, fifth or sixth, they won’t be number one, that was clear in Australia with the problems the car exhibited.

DGPF likes this.
  23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The current chassis / aero philosophy while having the best motor. Is difficult to understand how much time is avail to be gained in medium and slow corners, yet they throw that time away with this current car. How difficult to calculate the total time gained on all medium and slow corners available at all circuits with better performance. Mercedes did the math and generated a car to gather and make use of the time to yield wins I think.

william likes this.
  24. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    We’ve been in one for 11 years

25. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Don't worry once The Hammer had won his 7th WDC I think he'll be ready to bring the Scuderia back to prominence.