FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 12 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ROLEX MAGYAR NAGYDÍJ 2019: RACE ▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, Aug 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

From Mercedes -
    Why Mercedes took Hamilton strategy it ruled out before Hungarian GP - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145228/why-mercedes-put-hamilton-on-strategy-it-ruled-out

Toto Wolff says brake-management fears prompted Mercedes to take the "risk" of swapping Lewis Hamilton to the two-stop strategy that helped him win Formula 1's 2019 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Hamilton spent the majority of his first and second stints bottled up behind polesitter Max Verstappen, and midway through the 70-lap race - after two failed attempts to pass Verstappen - was asked to back off in order to stabilise his brake wear.

Mercedes brought Hamilton in for a second stop for medium tyres on lap 48 and, after a period where the gap remained stable, Hamilton began to reel the Red Bull driver in as Verstappen's tyres faded, passing for the lead with four laps remaining.

When asked by Autosport what made Mercedes think that call would work, Wolff said: "It was a brilliant execution by the strategy team.

"But then they reacted in the right way and all the learnings we took from Hockenheim with the radio discipline and the protocol that the strategists in the background would come up with options and then [Mercedes strategist] James Vowles would be evaluating them and then all of us giving our opinions.

"By this point Lewis was catching up to Max and it looked like he could overtake him on the hard tyre but we were too marginal on the brakes and we couldn't continue to follow him in that way.

"So they only option to avoid P2 was to take a risk in the hope that the medium tyre would create an offset. "At first it didn't seem very good but from then on the moment Lewis sniffed the opportunity there was no going back."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hamilton questioned the decision to pit for a second time on more than one occasion over the team radio during the race, and Wolff admitted such a strategy "seemed uncompetitive" when Mercedes had discussed its plan on Sunday morning - and Hamilton later added that the team had actually ruled it out ahead of the race.

Explaining how long the decision to switch to a two-stopper had taken, and whether that process had compromised the strategy of Valtteri Bottas - who finished eighth and also stopped twice after picking up damage on the opening lap - Wolff said "it was a debate over seven laps".

"We discussed it from lap 40 to lap 47, we discussed whether to pit and how to surprise Red Bull," he continued.

"And obviously, you are a bit biased - if you can win the race with one car, lots of brainwork goes into optimising that strategy.

"With Valtteri, I don't think it would have changed a lot. He was trapped in the gaggle of cars, he was struggling to overtake these guys.

william, bmwracer and DGS like this.
  2. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    and wouldn't be surprising if Ferrari, once it was clear they could not match pace, decided to save the PU's and just ensure they were better than the rest.

william, stavura, ypsilon and 4 others like this.
  3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    THIS season was already decided in 2014 by the regulations.

stavura, 375+, Jeronimo GTO and 2 others like this.
  4. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    #279 cairns, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Hamilton haters are going to need a lot preparation H tonight.......

Jakuzzi, Flavio_C and ATBNM3 like this.
  5. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Discuss the race, drivers or cars, not other users. 1 race ban.

Jakuzzi and daytona355 like this.
  6. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    You come to a Ferrari forum and expect the tifosi to have love for a driver from another team especially for a driver that does create polarising views.

Hamilton may have been the driver that won the race but the race win was delivered by Ferrari and the Merc strategists. Had Ferrari been where they should have of no more than 5 seconds behind the race leader, the Merc strategists would not have called him in he would have been left out and told to manage the situation and Max would have won. Merc had a full pit stop and then some up their sleeve for a pit stop just as RB did. RB's problem was if Hamilton got in front of Max through a pit stop Max would not have had the power to overtake the Merc. So lets give credit for the race win where it is due and that is to Ferrari for being so far behind it was emabarrassing. I said earlier on in the season that Honda would overtake us they may not have the power out of the engine to match Ferrari but the improved power coupled with the chassis and Max's talent they are now landing punches on Merc something which our beloved Ferrari is unable to do. I do hope we do not get our asses kicked in Monza like we did this race. Merc will certainly be out to do that as they will relish with Ferrari being knocked out at their home GP.

355Aussie and daytona355 like this.
  7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    ... Demonstrating the value of adapting strategy on the fly.

Ferrari, please take note.

william and daytona355 like this.
  8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Congratulations to Hamilton. Brilliant drive to track down Max. Mercedes rolled the dice pitting Lewis with not much to lose. Essentially a free pit stop. In retrospect, pitting Max would have given him a better chance of securing the win but hindsight is 20-20. Did Mercedes catch Red Bull napping? Tough to say.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Correct. not much RBR could've done in hindsight.

I'm not really upset about it. Annoyed that Hamilton won but Max's tyres where so ****ed it was like taking candy from a baby.

Jakuzzi, daytona355 and DGS like this.
  10. PerKr

PerKr Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2007
    Mariestad, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Per Kristoffersson
    Not a bad race judging by the highlights. But then the highlights video was one of the shortest yet...

No doubt, Hamilton is a great driver when everything works. So is Max. Really thought he'd take the win.

Ferrari... I thought this would be one of those tracks that would be better suited for them vs Mercedes. Maybe next season they will be able to put up a fight but it won't be due to driver or engineering staff changes. Management issues take time to repair.

william likes this.
  11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The RB looked slower than the Merc, but Max is making the difference.
    Good strategy from Mercedes, would've been more fun if Max and Hamilton had pitted together though !

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Agreed, but I guess Hamilton would still have won, perhaps by a small amount, but the race would have been exciting.

ATBNM3, william and Bas like this.
  13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'm very impressed with both of the young Brits and it was great to watch Russell wring the **** out of the Williams in qualifying.
    Like Charles, he has a very good attitude whilst out of the car and is always respectful so his struggling team (yes also like Charles).
    As a middle aged guy its sometimes easy to be cynical about millennials or iGen or what have you, but I like this bunch of a lot.
    Its far too early to tell how Georges career will pan out but I certainly wish him well.

ATBNM3, william, stavura and 5 others like this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I'm really liking Norris a lot. The kid is a complete breath of fresh air. Upbeat persona a bit like Ricciardo.

william, stavura, daytona355 and 5 others like this.
  15. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145238/ferrari-explains-why-it-uffered-in-hungary

Ferrari believes its weakness when Formula 1 teams are running maximum downforce is more exposed in qualifying, which is why it 'suffered' more in Sunday's Hungarian Grand Prix.

Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc finished third and fourth at the Hungaroring but both drivers were more than a minute behind race winner Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes and over 40 seconds behind Max Verstappen's Red Bull.

Ferrari's decision to prioritise aerodynamic efficiency with the concept of its 2019 car has left it vulnerable at circuits that require peak downforce levels.

Team principal Mattia Binotto suggested that the one-minute gap to Hamilton was not as significant as the massive shift in performance from last week's German Grand prix, where the Ferrari had been fastest.

"What we should try to explain is not the minute [Ferrari was behind] but maybe a week ago we got the fastest car and [in Hungary] we're somehow not the fastest," said Binotto.

"It's very track dependent. Our car is lacking maximum downforce and when you're at a circuit like Budapest where maximum downforce is required, then we are certainly suffering.

"And you're suffering more in the race than in the quali because in the single lap of the quali, eventually the grip of the tyres is coping with the lack of downforce you have.

"On a long distance you're sliding, overheating the tyres, and things are certainly more complicated."

The Ferraris faded from the lead battle early during the grand prix as Hamilton and Verstappen engaged in an exclusive, race-long duel for the victory.

16. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Agreed and Binotto will posture and pontificate and placate. Sorry for delay. I was banned without warning for a circumventing filter with a slang word. :| Wasn’t even a real swear word.

kandi, william and daytona355 like this.
  17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Realistically, Verstappen has a strong chance to overtake Bottas and finish second in the WDC this year.
    Bottas is only 8 points away, but Hamilton is 69 points ahead. That's a hell of a gap to close !

ATBNM3 likes this.
  18. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    There are two scenario's to consider:
    1- Verstappen had a 21 second lead when Hamilton pitted - had they brought Verstappen in when Hamilton pitted and put yellows on, he may have come out still leading or come out behind Hamilton and had a much better chance to fight for the win. Worst case he would have come in 2nd, i.e. nothing to lose!
    2- On lap 55 Verstappen had a 15 second lead - they could have pitted him and put on reds - he would have come out approximately 5 seconds behind Hamilton and had 15 laps to catch and pass Hamilton. Worst case he would have come in 2nd - again, nothing to lose.
    RB chose to do nothing as if they had no confidence in Verstappen's driving ability! Didn't make sense to me.

375+, Sig. Roma, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  19. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    As though they completely forgot about what occurred in Austria, when the roles were reversed.

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I am dreaming of a McLaren revival led by Seidel with Ricciardo and Norris as drivers ...

Sure I will Wake up soon ...

Bas likes this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Track position is king at Hungary. Red Bull HAD to take a gamble on thinking the tyres will survive.

22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I see it the other way round... if they pitted Max and he came out behind Lewis there would have been no way to get past Lewis... the Mercedes was the faster car as soon as in clean air, Max said so as well....
    By gambling and leave Max out and wait how much the tires go down they had at leat a small chance to win if they would have held together for a fw more laps.
    So pitting and you are second for sure, not pitting and you are second most likely, I do not see what they did wrong

23. DF1

Horner said they had no choice but to stay out due to 1 factor - Pace of Mercedes. They were simply faster. Position is everything at Budapest. Same in Monaco. They had the data and applied simple logic - Pace and position from what I hear and read. Too late for reconsiderations no matter now.

daytona355 likes this.
  24. johncasale

johncasale Karting

May 18, 2006
    Full Name:
    John
    I get what you're saying, however, I still say they had nothing to lose. Verstappen said his tires were gone and by doing nothing he was a sitting duck out there. Vettel obviously stopped for lunch somewhere - so why not roll the dice and at least give Verstappen a chance to win? It would have been fun to watch.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  25. jcurry

Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree with this. One problem RB had was the Merc (illegal) subterfuge with respect to faking when Lewis would actually come in. Pitting 1 lap later would have real interesting at Turn 1. Second problem was if they pitted Max first and then Ham might try and go the distance. In the end Merc forced the issue and won.

stavura, Bas and daytona355 like this.