812 Tilted Diffuser? | FerrariChat

812 Tilted Diffuser?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by JasonN, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I just took delivery of a 2019 812 and the rear diffuser is tilted to the left by about 1/4”. I did a search and found a topic on this from 2017. Dealer said they all do this?? Seems like a load of bull to me. I’m not a happy camper and my OCD is not accepting this. It seems the diffuser itself is warped. Anyone else have this problem and if so how was it addressed by Ferrari? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Alexcle and tfazio like this.
  3. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Definitely not tilted on yours.

4. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    mine has no problem, it's pretty even

5. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Thank you. I’ll see what Ferrari has to say about it next week. I’m sure they know what the problem is and how to fix it. Dealer called me back and agreed that this is not correct.

6. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Doesn't look normal. I'll check my friends 812 tonight.

7. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ferrari has washers that they use to square it up. Ask your service manager about it. Ferrari is aware...

klinkman, 350MH83 and tfazio like this.
  8. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Tell them to fix it. End of discussion. Honestly my dealer is so responsive I don't get dealers that won't fix stuff like this.

9. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Very common on pictures posted here. So much so my eyes gravitate straight to the paddle to see if the lower left point is much lower than the upper right point. Should not have released the car until that was fixed before the first unit. Its always dipping down on the left side. Some have said it normal until you see one that doesn't do it.

10. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That’s terrible that they would let cars of this caliber leave the factory especially if it only took a few washers to correct. They take care to make sure all the panel gaps are nice and then slap on a crooked diffuser.

11. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    All fixed. I just installed a few shims to line it up. Still a shame it wasn’t addressed at the factory. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, R J, tickerhound and 3 others like this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Did you do it? If so

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    ....If so, how?
    Thx
    (Something screwy with my posting on iPhone)

14. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Jason how did you fix this? Thanks

15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Ferrari has washers or shims, as Jason has described, to fix this issue. Last year mine also came with a tilt to the left and was immediately fixed by my dealer 1 day after it was delivered to them (and my complaining). Ferrari is aware and have these "shims" on hand for their dealerships' service dept to rectify. It's perfectly straight and that's all I care about!!:)

marky1 likes this.
  16. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The rear diffuser is attached to the active aero panel that contains the flaps, actuators and motor. The panel has three bolts along each side and one in the middle at the rear. The panel gap was tight along the right side where it meets the exhaust bezel trim. On he left side there was a gap where it was not fitting tight. I could not raise the left side without trying to bend up the mounting brackets. The solution was to shim the right side to match the gap/space on the left and also a small shim in rear middle bolt. The result is a straight diffuser. I told my dealer to tell Ferrari about it and see if their fix is consistent with mine. We will see if they say anything but not holding my breath. You can use small body shims or washers.

marky1 likes this.
  17. R J

R J Formula Junior

May 17, 2017
    UK
    Saw so many photos of the launch cars, press cars and early cars in 2017 and 2018 with wonky painted or black diffusers, that I spec’d the carbon diffuser to increase the prospects of getting a straight one (which, luckily, I did). All if the carbon ones I have seen are straight. Tons of photos in the 812 pictures thread showing wonky diffusers - even the latest post of this evening shows a wonky diffuser on an 812 in california azzuro.

18. Redband1

Redband1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2017
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    phil patti
    Same problem for me, worse thing is because car has Ricambi Carbon exhaust covers dealer blamed it on those. Clearly a factory flaw.

19. Redband1

Redband1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2017
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    phil patti
    apatalk
    Same problem for me, worse thing is because car has Ricambi Carbon exhaust covers dealer blamed it on those. Clearly a factory flaw

20. Redband1

Redband1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2017
    las vegas
    Full Name:
    phil patti

UPDATE, specialty shop spent 1.5 hours getting it 85% straight with shims etc BUT you get some reveals off noticeable by the most anal of us. The dealer spent 6 hours prior with ZERO improvement. It was determined that it was warped but my LOCAL dealer wouldn't entertain fixing it correctly UNLESS I paid $2300 USD to have the Ricambi exhaust surrounds removed and stock parts put back on. ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Exhaust rounds have NOTHING to do with the diffuser.
    I...………..used a blow dryer and got it the last 15% to straight. This tells me that some are warped from the factory. NOW I know that I can use a Ricambi Carbon Diffuser and get a good result OR heat the stock one into place and have shims removed so reveals get back into sync. Hard to believe a dealer would treat the situation this way.