The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 14 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Like a lot of people, I want the Z51 for it's bigger brakes, exhaust / power, and cooling, but want a spoiler delete option. If Chevy ends up not having a plate to cover where it is bolted on, I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with it.

Does the 3LT just give you nicer leather ? What else ?

2. Benny Blanco

Benny Blanco Rookie

Feb 17, 2012
    Saw it in person and damn that car looks so nice inside and out. It has a world class interior. Ferraris and Lambos interiors don't come close. Materials/design everything looks perfect. My 488*s interior looks dated compared to that. I was really impressed. Also there are at least 2 versions on their way. Z06 with an active aero all around the car. And the zr1. I'm impressed.
    Also Corvette will become a sub-brand. Here is a Lil inside for u. 2 days ago they gave a green light for the Vette crossover. They also think about the lift back Ala panamera but it's not approved yet. Well done.

Golden Steed likes this.
  3. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed

My first thought on seeing pics of the interior were "are you sure this is production?"

It really does look like a concept car on the inside. Radical, high tech, bright and uses real leather and aluminum accents.

If you own anything older than a 488, this car is a real threat to your resale value.

Benny Blanco likes this.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I saw it and sat in it yesterday and came away even more sure that Chevy hit a home run as long as the cars don't develop problems. And unfortunately, the C7 did have quite a few between overheating with certain models and the new A8 gearbox.

But as a machine, it seems to be the most interesting American car made since the 80's. And that's a good thing. I'd take one of these over an NSX or Supra anyday.

5. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    What did we make in the 80's that was more interesting ?

peteficarra likes this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    One small thing that I liked. I'm a detail guy and Ferrari really does "details" well IMO.

The C8 has a plastic engine cover. No big deal -- I didn't expect it to be die cast metal. But the two "Corvette" logos on the cover are real metal, not painted plastic. Its details like that which will differentiate it from previous Chevy models. It also has two real CF functional engine braces which are really well done.

The interior is a bit of a mixed bag. IMO, it's too much of a fighter jet cartoon where Ferrari and Porsche appear more serious. But the quality did look good and the Ipad screen is more integrated than it looks. The row of buttons probably could have been eliminated entirely but they do make adjusting those things easier than going through endless computer screens. I think reaching over into the glove box is going to be next to impossible for most. And the passenger is going to have a hassle getting their drink in and out of the cupholder. Minor things but it does show designs do have compromises.

As you would expect from a GM car, the seats are really comfortable and it has plenty of headroom.

As I've said IMO this is not a real sports car. Maybe the C7 was more of one. This is really a sports GT and that's really what people want.

7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

I didn't say more interesting, I said "interesting". But the Buick Grand National GSX brought back the HP wars that were killed off. And it was the time of the Fiero, America's first mid engine mass produced car. It may have been a flop but it got a lot of attention and excitement. They actually sold a lot of them.

Since then its been

Yes, another Mustang
    Yes, another Mustang
    Yes another Corvette
    Yes, another Mustang
    Yes another Camaro
    Yes, another Corvette
    Yes, another Mustang

And now something really quite different.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The 84 Corvette..it at the time, used the most aluminum suspension components then any production car in the the world. Ferrari for example didn't start using aluminum suspension until the 360.

JCR, Dolcevita and G. Pepper like this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I watched the video..the interior is very driver focused, which is nice, however the passenger is left with nothing to see. The interior looks well put together,but I did notice misaligned stitching where the console meets the dash, quit obvious and would unfortunately drive me nuts.

But for 60k? Holy smokes, what at car!! Look out world, this thing is real and its awsome.

Golden Steed likes this.
  10. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Really looking forward to seeing the follow on models. Bigger brakes, less weight, and a fixed roof are at the top of my wish list.

Hoping they notice how much money Porsche has been printing for the last several years with the GT cars, and follow suit to some extent.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    IloveGT, Boomhauer, jm2 and 1 other person like this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Most cars and trucks its no charge. It's just built into the infotainment systems. My truck has both apple and android. Didn't pay a penny extra. Only thing I paid extra for was the upgrade sound system..glad I did. Ferrai will charge for every conceivable thing they can think of, regardless if it's a stock base model item on any other car. Remember the 5k cupholder?

LightGuy likes this.
  13. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    #338 SCEye, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Because they can.
    Ferrari charges what the market will bear.
    You do get the distinctive Ferrari logo on the radio and not some crappy Chevy logo.*
    Some s̶u̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s discriminating buyers will beg for the privilege to pay for the option. The buyers are happy. Ferrari is happy. Everybody wins.

* No guarantee (implied, given, or otherwise) the Ferrari sound system will sound any better than other systems. However, the Ferrari logo will be pleasing to the owner's eyes.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I find logos on car stereos annoying and if it was not such a pain I would program them to not show up at all. I think apple play is a waste and don't use it on any car that I have or had that has it. In my experiences with corvettes over the years sometimes the more powerful cars are not the best cars, very easy to overwhelm the chassis, the C6 and C7 Z06's prime example. That is why I am going with the base car and taking it apart, I will get more power and less weight, but my goal is control and driver feedback, which the C6 or C7 were terrible at. I don't know how much I will need to do or what new parts I will have to design, and until I am behind the wheel I am only guessing about what will need to be done.

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you are concerned about a car developing problems then you might want to consider your buying a Chevy over a Toyota and an Acura. Ballsy. :)

I'm 360 Canuck and BOKE like this.
  16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    It was a £500 option on my Mercedes IIRC. I got an OBD connector/chip off eBay for £60 (they are cheaper now) and did it myself.

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Wow..that's insane. Glad you found a work around.

Most options now are just a coding away from being fully functional. Options are mostly now just turned on and off by a scan tool. Some require additional components to operate, which the dealer network purposely inflates the cost to stupid levels.

G. Pepper, Dolcevita and MalcQV like this.
  18. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Wish i can use my ferrari as a daily driver like the c8.then why did i pay all this money if i cant drive the damm thing.

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I assume whatever Ferrari you own is worth similar to the C8? If so then it may well be a 360? There is no reason why you cannot use a 360 daily if you wish. I know from experience the more these cars are used the better they are, certainly to a point anyway.

davemqv likes this.
  20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow. Please tell me this is satire.

paulchua and kes7u like this.
  21. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know, right? I knew plenty of guys who thought and talked like this in high school and even into college, but I assumed they all grew out of it.

Kevin

paulchua likes this.
  22. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    The C8 is a good looking car and a lot of value for the money. The ZR1 at some point will be wicked. But it’s still just a Chevy and I would NEVER trade my 458 for one. I could see myself buying a ZR1 version to add to the mix. But it will never have the wow factor of a Ferrari.

I'm 360 Canuck and AD211 like this.
  23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I agree. In fact , didn't we see so many nissan GTR making stupid crashes when it first came out? almost stupid crash in youtube video have so many GTR in it.

davemqv likes this.
  24. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Uh huh. I thought so.

Stick to the kiddie pool, son. You ain't ready to swim in the deep end.

25. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Someone forgot to take his meds this morning......o_O

davemqv, paulchua, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.