F430 lost power on the highway | FerrariChat

F430 lost power on the highway

Discussion in '360/430' started by Joshkev, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Joshkev

Joshkev Rookie

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #1 Joshkev, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2019
    Hey guys. Was driving my F430 on the highway today at 80 miles/hr when the gauge started flickering and the car went from gear 5 to gear 1 by itself. I was not able to accelerate by much after the car gauge started flickering and was at a standstill in the middle of the highway. I was able to drive the car home but the closest Ferrari dealership is 70km away so checking my options at the moment.

Any thoughts about what the issue may be? Thanks!

Could the clutch be an issue?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Door or engine or boot lid telling car something is open- seat belt not on

3. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    #3 _JERRY_, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    You get the "Slow Down" warning indicator?

Sounds like the circuit board wire clusters. Did any addons outside the dealership lately that involved wiring?

4. Joshkev

Joshkev Rookie

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh
    I did not get a slow down message. I replaced the battery last month so could that be the cause?

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Since you recently installed a battery - is the battery fully charged?

It could be the alternator.

Or lose ground somewhere.

6. Joshkev

Joshkev Rookie

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Fully charged as in connected to a tender? No
    I had been driving the car for over an hr before the issue occurred. Maybe lose battery connection?

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    A battery tender only maintains a battery. You will need a battery charger that will fully charge a battery.

Yes its possible you have a loose connection so check the battery terminals for tight connection.

Another possibility is lose connection or corrosion on the battery master power switch terminals. This is a known issue.
    Kindly do a search and you will see posts on how to check the connection and how to tighten up connection on battery master power switch.

Hope that helps.

Dan

8. Joshkev

Joshkev Rookie

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh
    Thanks Dan! Will check out the posts you have mentioned

9. _JERRY_

_JERRY_ Karting

Feb 1, 2016
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jerry Ng
    The guy you got to change the battery might not know the circuitry for ferraris well; that and, if you used a different brand/model etc, he might have to mod the battery mount a lil for it to fit, not sure if you got someone inexperienced to do it heh, that could be it.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    How can it be battery related if the car was driven home , has the electrics failed completely, not that i can see and if it is drive able i dont see how it goes from 5th to 1st gear due to the battery

11. Joshkev

Joshkev Rookie

Aug 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Josh
    That's what has me confused Mike. The gauge was flickering so I assume it might be a battery problem but why it would change gears incorrectly is what puzzles me

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I think a trip to a ferrari garage is called for, you dont want to damage the gearbox as very costly.
    The car will not move out of 1st gear if the engine lid, drivers door and boot switches are not made, i think seat belt as well- if one of these is faulty it might have made the car drop into 1st. Try operating the switches and connect a multi meter to see if they open and close cleanly, ie the gauge not midway or flickering