Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

1. Because he is of mixed race

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Because he is Catholic

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Because of his lifestyle / ethics

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Because he lives in Monaco

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. None of the above

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Comes from the old french "bougre"...(slightly out of topic, but...)
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bugger

Rgds

3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    It’s a hypothetical certain disaster that some of the delusional around here yearn for. It’s almost as ridiculous as wanting Alons-hole to return to the Scuderia. It makes about as much sense as longing for a terminal disease.

4. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I have met him quite a few times and quite like him , especially his driving skills . I have had long conversations with him , my gut tells me he is somewhat fake , too many things don’t jive and make sense , too long to explain but actions always speak louder than words , his words are very well rehearsed when he knows he is being listened, his words behind the scenes don’t match the persona he would like to portray . Having said that , I couldn’t care less about his personality, he is never going to be my best friend and compared to some of the jerks that I have met in F1, he is pretty tame considering he is on top of the world at the present . At least he tries to be humble at times , and that comes across as really fake . It is really hard to keep a composed head when everybody sucks up to you all the time and treats you like a god , he has done ok at times , just ok . He is a damm good driver mind you , one of the best

375+, ATBNM3, stavura and 2 others like this.
  5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    I have a new reason for not liking him. Negative people implying you are racist if you dislike him and him taking advantage of it as well

kes7u likes this.
  6. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

I agree.
    He is slick and rehearsed but often lacks congruency. Plenty of people are unable to see through it.

Bas likes this.
  7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Everyone became Senna's biggest fan the moment he died. When he was alive people where very much split on whether they liked him or not. I wasn't a fan if honest...driving talents aside.

But since he's not black there must've been a different reason.

The easiest thing by far to do is tar all hamilton ''haters'' with the same brush: Racists. A very dangerous thing to do.

Those accusing the ''haters'' of being racists better come up with some strong evidence. People here post with their real name.

stavura and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Well balanced post, thank you.

I lived in the UK at the time when he just came to F1. At first was excited to see him race but quickly became annoyed that everything became the LH show by the F1 commentators. Couldn't watch 2 seconds without him being mentioned and how great he is, his back story bla bla (really the only one that always kept a level head was Martin Brundle). At the time it was just a mild annoyance.

When he started to do bigger interviews I found it very easy to see through what he wanted his persona to be. And the constant contradictions that came with it...**** just didn't add up.

The radio messages...every race there's something. The tyres are unbalanced, the brakes have an issue, engine doesn't feel right, something in his eyes, sore throat, headache...you name it he'll have an excuse. He says it when he's leading and someone has done a few laps quicker than him, so he has an excuse ready when he gets overtaken. He says it when he's chasing so he's got an excuse why he couldn't overtake. And if he holds the position or makes an overtake? well won't he just look like a ''legend'' he so desperately wants to be. Because poor old lewis was battling all these issues and still held the position.

Look I buy that from time to time drivers have issues with their car or really are sick. But every race? Come on. I just don't buy it and it's come to the point that I flat out refuse to believe that he's got a car issue or an illness these days unless I see actual proof.

Whenever they started doing the post race interviews it became crystal clear to anyone IMO. Every damn race ''these are the best fans, this is my favourite track, I always love coming here'' bla bla bla... I find it quite funny how none of his fans don't see right through it...every 2 weeks he finds a new set of best fans, favourite track and how much he loves coming there.

I get that he wants to be liked and he wants to build a certain imagine of himself.

It's why I'm a fan of drivers such as Kimi, Ricciardo and Verstappen. Yes some can be regarded as an arrogant prick by some (Verstappen), but they're not lying about who they are. They're not trying to sell you a fake image of someone they are not.

Lewis would suit LA very well.

stavura, Picchu88, Igor Ound and 4 others like this.
  9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    As for myself, I find your words very true indeed. I was in awe of Senna's driving skills, but very split ("partaged" in French...) about the man and most of what was reported about his character (I never actually met him, so...what do I know?).
    Can't say I have ever considered Lewis to be on the same level than Senna as a driver; when Lewis was paired with Jenson, there wasn't very much to chose between them, and since 2014, he had a machinery that was/is so vastly superior to the opposition, that it's difficult to judge, as he did not have any opposition Worth the name (it is fair to say that if Lewis' engine had not exploded in Malaysia in 2016, Nico would not have been Champion). Lewis has talent indeed, and the numbers and record do speak indeed, but...something is still missing. As for the man, well; I don't have an opinion actually. I could not care less, even if from time to time I find some incidents and anecdotes "amusing", shall we say.
    But the thread is why Lewis is not so well liked by the british, and as I am not british, I leave the answer to the Brits. (Truth is that Prost was never very popular here in his days..."popular", yes, but not "very popular"; he won too many races, and too clinically)

Rgds

Bas and OhioMark like this.
  10. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And who exactly is jealous about him and and what posts exactly do you link to jealousy?
    As I said before: there is an unpleasant person on one side and the fault is completely pushed to the other side that is critic about it, like nothing negative said about Lewis can be ever true...It is naive to think that all these negative feelings are coming from nothing...

Bas likes this.
  11. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good post, genuine is the key word.
    Like all these guys they have PR people that advise them how to conduct themselves and build up the fan base, reputation etc etc the true reality is they are shallow individuals employed by "stars" to tell them what they want to hear. If they perhaps stop and just be themselves then there attitude and character may prevail, outside F1 we have "some" mega stars and are well liked for remaining with both feet on the ground.
    Best
    tony

Bas likes this.
  12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    The difference with Hamilton is he is a inspiration to many of his fans, a demographic of fans and young racers who never thought a F1 dream could exist. To most of these fans, its bigger than racing. That's why i feel he acknowledge his fans as he does. Many of the current crop of drivers don't acknowledge their fans when they podium, I've seen other drivers not say anything about the fans what so ever, as if they don't care if they spent there money and came out to see them. Hamilton does the opposite, and that resonates with his fans

Terra, ATBNM3 and showme1946 like this.
  13. showme1946

showme1946 Karting

Oct 9, 2011
    Columbia, Missouri
    Full Name:
    George Rickerson
    No idea if the premise of the original question is true or not. I know very little about LH's life outside of racing. I respect him because he is a great driver and wins races, and I like the way he takes responsibility when he makes a mistake. I find the hatred expressed towards him on this forum to be offensive and embarrassing. The spectacle of grown men, successful grown men, raining down abuse, and especially using homophobic epithets about an individual, just reminds me of how large a role unreasoning hate plays in today's world.The only reason I keep coming to the F1 forum is the hope that someone will write a post that contains a credible explanation for this phenomenon, something that makes sense to me. I'm still waiting.

Sport - organized competition, which includes racing - plays an important role in society, a positive role. It makes me happy to see a person overcome obstacles to become successful in sport, but I rarely think of these individuals in terms of whether I like them or not, because I usually do not know enough about them as a person to be able to make that determination. Such is the case with Lewis Hamilton. He's a very good driver who can be very exciting to watch, the race in Hungary being an excellent example.

fer312t, ATBNM3, Surfah and 1 other person like this.
  14. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Is that why he skipped the London promo event back then, because he resonates with his fans???
    If you really think that his shallow words mean he really cares about his fan more than others (maybe apart from Kimi :p) I can´t help you... then his fans are obviously very frugal, obviously a Michael Jackson "I love ya all" is enough then ;)

Bas likes this.
  15. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    Back in the day, i used to go to all the F1 races in Montreal and had dinner with Senna and few others on more than one occasion, i never got Senna the man . I was not a fan of the individual , i would say super conflicted , i am not sure he knew who he was at times , he had a god complex and yet at times showed unbelievable kindness and class . He was super talented to say the least but his actions were so contradictory one could not pin him down really, at least i couldn't . I believe he acted entitled a lot of the time but had a very good heart and did a lot for the sport and outside the sport . Like him or not, he is one of the legends of the sport and has been missed . RIP

Bas, showme1946, ATBNM3 and 3 others like this.
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Nit pick all you want, Ham is a inspiration to many, nothing i can do about it, nothing you can do about it.

showme1946 and ATBNM3 like this.
  17. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    He does acknowledge the fans , but to me , it doesn't sound sincere , it sounds like rehearsed script .

Bas, Boomhauer and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  18. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    He is inspiration because he is a winner , there is no arguing that fact . People either love or hate a winner, brings out both emotions and it is ok to jump on the bandwagon if you want to support a winner . The big question is , would those people have anything to do with him if he wasn't a winner and that is an entire other conversation .

ATBNM3 likes this.
  19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Well at least Mercedes Benz seem to be able to put up with Lewis,warts n all,if he really is such an unlikeable guy as some suggest they still have the option of putting whoever they want in their car.

Amazingly they keep him on year after year. Can't imagine why.:rolleyes:

showme1946, ATBNM3 and ktu like this.
  20. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Its a shame that all this obsession with Hamilton will do nothing to cure Ferrari's problems. But if dumping on Hamilton makes losing to him feel better, have at it.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    We don't know what's in his heart, but we know he goes a step further than other drivers, whether it's sincere or not

ATBNM3 likes this.
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Exactly... people jump on the bandwagon.... where have all his fanboys (so vocal since 2014) been in the years after his first WDC when he was not better than Button???
    Did they only find their love and inspiration since Lewis stats went up in the dominant Mercedes? I guess that is what most would call good weather fans....
    Whenever his fans are stating why they love him unlike the haters there is not much more coming than the stats and records...If this is all that counts in a personality I would call that very poor. But maybe in the times of social media, google and wikipedia this is about as deep as it gets :rolleyes:
    I really liked the image of Lewis in the LaFerrari as a proof that he has the taste and the lifestyle as if there are no shallow unpleasant people out there driving a LaFerrari o_O
    I know that Lewis and his fans do not care about me, it is you having the utopic illusion that he actually cares about you ;)

Bas and Boomhauer like this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Would people have anything to do with Max, Senna or Shumi if they were'nt winners?

24. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As long as he is winning there is no need to change, let´s see how long they keep him when the combo is not winning anymore...but I guess Lewis will leave then anyway just as he left McLaren.
    And now probably because Mercedes wants to attract shallow people and posers to freshen up their brand image, therefor he seems to be a good role model ;)

Bas likes this.
  25. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    They would not and they is why they are celebrities, just like in any other sport or anything that has to do with public exposure and image . It would be refreshing if the person you are following and/or supporting is genuine and that does not apply to Lewis only obviously. As said , this is a conversation that has nothing to do with driving skills and talent and best we leave it at that

ATBNM3 and ktu like this.