Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

1. Because he is of mixed race

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Because he is Catholic

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Because of his lifestyle / ethics

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Because he lives in Monaco

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. None of the above

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    You think Kimi, Seb and Ricci are not genuine?

2. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I have met Kimi, great guy and super party animal and a lot of fun , definitely genuine , his TV interviews suck but that is what makes him even more likable, he is nothing like his interviews . Seb is a good guy, very limited exposure to him from my end, i was never that privy to RB camp, seems super genuine . Ricci seems very genuine and nice, have never talked to him in person but i do like him . I would rate all 3 as way more genuine that Lewis

Bas, 375+, SimCity3 and 4 others like this.
  3. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Thank you for your answer. This is my impression of those three as well although I only took pictures of them but did not talk to them in person...
    I for my part prefer rooting for any of them rather than Lewis, even if they will never win a single race in their life... but I guess to each his own

stavura and Nortonious like this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Thanks for the insight, sounds like Lewis is not bad in person overall, although i still hear people say worse things about previous champions

william and ATBNM3 like this.
  5. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I personally am not a fan of Lewis outside of the car because I think he's trying too hard to keep up a certain "humble" image that even he doesn't seem to buy into. It would be stupid to dismiss him as one of the all time greats, he has certainly proven that, regardless of equipment.

The point I really wanted to make, though, is that if F1 was as scrutinised back in the old days as it is today - i.e if you had access to a hypothetical team-driver radio since the beginning of F1 - many beloved drivers would probably be less beloved. Athletes competing in the top of their sport are more often than not absolutely relentless to the point of cruelty.

william, ATBNM3 and ktu like this.
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    MalcQV, william, ktu and 1 other person like this.
  7. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Agree and certainly a valid question.

What we do know is that all nations need somebody at the pointy end to cheer for. It's simply being a Patriot.

If Russell or Norris were piloting the Mercedes it would be them doing the crowd surfing at Silverstone instead.

Tim Henman or Andy Murray. The British crowds didn't really mind who, they cheered for a countryman.

8. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Talking about the personalities of race car drivers is as silly as discussing the personalities of tennis players. The drivers sure don't care what any of us think about them. They only have one focus, to win and to do whatever it takes to make that a reality. Kissing up to sponsors, or the motor press or etc., this is about being the best and making as much money as you can at the same time. I could care less about Hamilton's hair or clothes or anything else in his life. I respect him for what he does when he gets in the car. And I respect Mercedes for putting the best car underneath him. As for Ferrari, they have no one to blame for where they are except themselves. They have two drivers more than capable of winning. But the car is crap.

9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Excellent post. Lewis creates a narrative over the radio to frame his story. He is going to Hollywood to become a producer--those sharks will gut him in a LA minute.

Bas and Jakuzzi like this.
  10. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    If you personally had a choice between being liked or disliked , you would choose being liked , wouldn’t you ? While I agree with you that winning races and making the most $$ is and should be their primary focus, they are human and all humans wants acceptance of some sort , irrelevant of the circumstances. It takes a special mindset to not care about anyone and everyone around you , some people can pull it off especially at at young age but as time goes by , most people mellow

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #111 Mark(study), Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    355TDI, william, ATBNM3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Lewis would be West Hollywood bound..........

13. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hey Lewis, people on Fchat are talking about you. LOL They think you are dull and a bore outside of the race car, bet that keeps you up at night?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

william, ATBNM3, Surfah and 5 others like this.
  14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ok ,cmon guys

what part of that pic did u look at first ?;)

ATBNM3, ktu and Mark(study) like this.
  15. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Yet more homophobic innuendo.

ATBNM3, Jakuzzi and fer312t like this.
  16. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #116 nerofer, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    I disagree on two points:
    1. The reason why the drivers in Formula One today are making huge amounts of money is because the companies employing them are ready to pay them as much, for their image and to be marketing tools for their brand, be it a car maker like Mercedes (even if the link is not always mathematical, remember the old saying "win on Sunday, sales on Monday"...) or a soft drink like Red Bull.
    So, their personality is at least very important to their employers, because these drivers are to be in adequation with the brand image and have to please the fans. Remember the discussions about Mercedes wishing to change their "sedate" image, and therefore contracting Hamilton? How can the drivers please the fans without at least in some way taking care of what the fans are thinking? So whether they like it or not, they have to care what the fans think about them, otherwise they wouldn't get a contract, or be paid as much. That's what Formula One has become today.
    We "enthusiasts" (well, in so far as I can still be considered as such...I certainly was before 2014, I am much less today) are only a small percentage in the global picture of Formula One, and certainly we are not crucial to the driver's earnings; but the fans are, and so the drivers have to please the fans (And they do indeed: look at how the Lewis fans are sensitive...). You can't bite the hand that is feeding you.
    There is only one driver pleasing the enthusiasts, the fans doing these things in his own way, naturaly and without any effort, and this is Kimi...genuine as gold.

2. Actually, I don't think the Ferrari car of this year is crap. I think that it is a good car, but with a very narrow window of performance, that, for one reason or another, the drivers are unable to reach most of the time. The engine is certainly good and equivalent to the Mercedes. I'm pretty certain that their organisation (or, rather, their disorganisation) is responsible for the lack of results, and once again, the worst enemy of Ferrari has again proved to be Ferrari.

Rgds

william likes this.
  17. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I don't recall anyone using the word hate, dislike would be a better word to use. As with all humans, first impression sticks and if I don't like somebody from the outset then I don't bother. What put me off LH was his stint on top gear, trying to look cool (whistling and singing) while on a hot lap, obvious to anyone he was determined to be the fastest but rather nonchanlant .......totally false.

#1 Sponsors are just as blind, they believe the BS, do they honestly think I will go and buy after shave just because johnny depp or any other star has his face plastered on the product..... Trust me, the drivers and teams don't give a rats butt about what the fans think unless millions unlike him on FB.

#2 That's a beautiful way of saying the car is crap most of the time :)

18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Remember it performed well during the winter testing (I know, I know: winter testing! but nevertheless...) then in Australia the team looked completly lost with it. Then in Bahrein the same car could easily have won, except for a trivial mechanical matter. In Canada it almost won again. So it seems that it is able, from time to time, to perform well, but it seems also that no-one knows exactly why, so it performs well "at random". Again, I know that the car has some undesirable characteristics (understeer, mainly; downforce; not in adequation with the tires) but from time to time the car shows that it is able to perform; some potential is here; but the team does not know how to harness it. To me, its more the team than the car.

Rgds

william likes this.
  19. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So to sum this up: a few chics/gold diggers on a boat and a LaFerrari are the goals of life and show the taste of a man....
    OK, at least we know who we are dealing with :rolleyes:

Bas, Jakuzzi, stavura and 1 other person like this.
  20. Smyrna355Spider

Smyrna355Spider F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2008
    In my Garage
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Is there an F1 driver in the pic???? :)

ATBNM3 likes this.
  21. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Peter, that's a "boatload" of assumption from you based on one or two photos.

Flavio_C, ATBNM3 and Jakuzzi like this.
  22. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    You wern't expecting him to sit in the national British Library reading Platon in original ancient greek, would you?:)

Rgds

Flavio_C, william, ATBNM3 and 2 others like this.
  23. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Highly likely. Some very sharp minds in that village.
    Driving around in circles is much safer

24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Platon ? Who's he ? :D

25. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Is that supposed to be leisure time ?

It's 2 weeks of work for us at the Film Festival