SOLVING LOW IDLE | Page 3 | FerrariChat

SOLVING LOW IDLE

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    It was from where it was set originally . Not from 3 turns out. I was just playing around. Found it odd. I’m still learning the carbs.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So I’m thinking to check the type of mixture screws I have ,,,stepped / tapered. And maybe float height?
    Just throwing ideas out

3. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    With Webers if you change the mixture screw and the idle speed doesn't change (Up or down) you are likely running on the "run" circuit and not the "idle" circuit. That would also explain why you have so much air going in.

Have you started from scratch where you VERIFY with a flashlight that the butterflys are actually ALL the way closed?

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Looks like They are closed. So your saying it’s running on the mains?

5. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #55 Saabguy, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Yeah basically, that explains some of your symptoms. "Looks like" isn't the same as "are closed". The purist in me says that you need to take the carbs off, back off all the screw and shine a light from underneath to verify that the butterflies are closed, this may not be practical though.

Back off ALL of the idle speed screws so that they aren't touching, engine should NOT be able to idle at all, if it is idling then you likely have a linkage adjustment problem. Then start with the 2 or 3 turns just to get it to idle then go through the process of mixture adjustment. Granted my knowledge is Weber based NOT Ferrari Weber based, but I am certain that they still have Idle, run, and WOT circuits.

absostone likes this.
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #56 absostone, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    I’m gonna recheck in s little while. And yes I was gonna try turning them in to see if it choked it. I meant the mixture screws

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Maybe the butterflies are dragging on the bores

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    How would it idle without the stop screws?

9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    These carbs look like they are 20 yrs old rebuild. They have about 1k miles if that

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    From what I know the idle jets are in play till around 3k

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    It should ONLY idle that way IF there is tension in the linkages or the throttle cable. If it doesn't idle then you have eliminated one concern.

After you have confirmed that then you turn in the idle speed screws until it will idle then the mixture screws until it idles well, make sure that there is no connection of one carb to the next. Get the engine idling well and THEN connect all the carbs to each other

That said, I reread the entire thread and you started with ignition concerns, are those gone now?

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes it’s around 7-9 deg advance at 1k

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I set the idle the Birdman way. Brought it down to 1k from 1500. Then set the idle stops. I just turned out the screws. And it was nerve racking idling that low. Pretty sure both idle screws were as loose as good be. It still idled barely. Throttle cable still had plat btw

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    When individual mix screws are turned in all the way the idle does drop. Barely

16. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So is it really possible that every butterfly is slightly open and allowing it to suck air at idle? A pro shop built these. Unreal

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  18. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Yup, the idle circuit. Find the other diagram with the run or partial throttle circuit.

19. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    If ALL the idle screws are TURNED IN ALL THE WAY it should not idle at all. There would be no fuel going in to the engine unless you are idling on the run circuit or some other source of fuel.

20. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    It is more likely that the rebuilder put things back together incorrectly and that is keeping the throttle plates from closing OR there is a screw somewhere that is keeping them open by design that you are missing.

21. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yea but every carb? Bent shafts? I’ll try everything in.

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Man if these carbs gotta come off I’m gonna flip out something evil!!! This is bs

24. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    absostone likes this.
  25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I believe there are only to circuits. Low and high. Idle and main. Am gonna try that next. Thx