Would you consider this a 250 PF Speciale? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Would you consider this a 250 PF Speciale?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by djaffrey, Apr 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Very spooky to start reading this thread without realising how old it is and suddenly reading posts by Gerald...RIP to a pillar of Ferrari documentation who gave me one of my biggest career breaks twenty or so years ago...

Anyway could this be a Tom Meade job?

After my 1998 article on him subsequent to the five hour intvw I did of him in Santa Monica in May of 1996 I am about to write another major article about him so would love to know...

375+ likes this.
  2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I doubt that this car was built as shown. Tom M. and others tried to "modernize" quite a few cars, frequently after some damage Here's a pic of 0955GT, with what I believe are Maserati vents. I also had a 330GT with split bumper, which I am certain was added as a result of damage to the original. I don't think we should glorify the car in question by calling it a special. Just my 2c.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ likes this.
  3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Ed, fully agree with you, Speciale is not a warranted appellation for this car, be it modified by Tom or someone else and yes the one above certainly seems to have 3500GT vents.

4. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Ed, sorry but this are not vents coming from a Maserati.

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Re post #27:
    I would rather like to know what happened to 0955 GT.
    Gary Schonwald in NY had the original engine 0955 GT in the 1980's.
    Where is this car today? Has it really been parted out? I hope not.

Marcel Massini

7. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    The rear of the grill at the 3500GT is not vertical like with the Ferrari. Yes, could be possible that Meade "borrought" the grill and modified it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Curious, what will the subject of your article be this many years later? Please post a link here when finished. Thanks

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #34 Nembo1777, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Will do, I am aiming for a new approach to the topic plus I have an unpublished five hour interview with Tom from May 1996 in Santa Monica: 42 pages:)

It began with an earthquake scare for me though, having gone through two there already , San Francisco October 89 my first time ever on the Pacific Coast - wellllcome to California- and LA January 94 therefore logically enough I was a bit paranoid about the left coast so in the middle of the interview when some cement grit fell from the cafes roof above us I bolted instantly away from buildings to the middle of Santa Monica blvd, sunset blvd, causing several annoyed drivers to honk but Tom shouted it s just dirt kicked off by pigeons up there:D

Jack-the-lad, SCantera and BJK like this.
  10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I hope you'll have the proverbial grain of salt. Tom was not above a bit of self-aggrandizement (Did I spell that correctly?).

375+ likes this.
  11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    After seeing your post, I went back to the beginning of the thread, and seeing Gerald’s post made me smile. He and my father would talk from time to time. Such a wealth of knowledge and always open to sharing it.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Ed,
    Yes Tom definitely reminisced his Modena days with rose tinted glasses so no worries salt shaker is at hand:)
    The same applied to his projects, he had me ask around for a 333sp engine once.
    When we had dinner in April 2013 four months before he passed on I briefly met his caretaker and as she listened to him talk about his projects as he got into my rental car you could see she had been exposed to plenty of that and I saw fondness for him and the stories in her.

375+ likes this.
  13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Dick Merritt told me some very interesting tales re: Tom in Modena - the apartment, the VW and the German Shepherd . . .

Nembo1777 likes this.