Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

1. Because he is of mixed race

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Because he is Catholic

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Because of his lifestyle / ethics

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Because he lives in Monaco

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. None of the above

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    No assumption at all.... the very same user showed exactly these two pictures to "proof" that Lewis lifestyle is not "dull" or shallow....So obviously this user thinks that those two pictures show the lifestyle we are jealous about and that this is the lifestyle to have...
    Sorry, but I do not see anything in this pictures that "proofs" that it is not shallow, so the conclusion is that this user and I have a very different opinion about what shallow means. So I do not see the need to discuss this matter with this forum member as it will lead to nothing.
    That does not even include a judging, simply an observation that our opinions are not compatible...And that I will keep that in mind when I read further posts of him.
    No, I do not expect any of them doing so... they can do whatever they want but still I don´t see anything I am jealous of (as suggested by some)...

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Oh, I see...neither do I. Even if I have to admit that I could have been "somewhat jealous" if the boat has been "Zaca". As long as it is not, well, can't see any problem.

I don't pay much attention at what they do outside the track, as long as it is not outrageous; on track, I have to repeat myself: numbers and statistics certainly say he is a great driver, but there was not much to chose between him and Jenson in 2010, 2011 and 2012; and he has had superior machinery since 2014, making very difficult to assess him. He is still missing that bit of "extra" that Michael and Ayrton certainly had (not to say anything about someone like Fangio, or Moss, etc...)

And, as the question in this thread is "Why is Lewis not so liked by the British", well, not being british (nobody is perfect) I can't answer...

Rgds

P.Singhof likes this.
  3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    This is why I don't understand the criticism of Alonso. The Easter Bunny will never be World Champion of anything.

+1

Bas and Jakuzzi like this.
  4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    True, but I can't stop myself for admiring, on top of that, a touch of class and elegance, what makes the great sportsman - to my eye. Certainly, Mika Häkkinen had it [again: with the important provision: for what we saw of him...]
    As for Alonso, well, this would derail the thread...so let's sum it up by saying that he was also his own worst enemy, sometimes. Case closed for this thread.

Rgds

Bas, ATBNM3 and 375+ like this.
  5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I only dislike him because he is not driving a Ferrari. I have never been a driver fan, only ever a team, which has always been Ferrari. Fact: I only watch F1 because Ferrari are in it.

I actually think Lewis is loved by the majority of British F1 fans. Typically the British are British driver fans and not so much teams.
    That said my two favourite drivers (current and retired) are Kimi and Jenson. There's a Kimi promotion group on FB and some of the stuff they show is comical. Kimi is a serious driver in the car but outside of it he just enjoys life and does not take it too seriously.

Last of all if LH drives for Ferrari in the future he will be my best pal :D

Flavio_C and ATBNM3 like this.
  6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    If Lewis end up in the red car,he will most likely join a very small club of Brits who have won a WDC with SF ,Hawthorn in 58 and Surtees in 64 ,it's been awhile.

7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Personally, I can't see it.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  8. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I think it is quite possible, but couldn't care less either way.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  9. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can't see the attraction of moving , when you are Number One for the best team in the field.

kandi likes this.
  10. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Vettel did. The team with the most heritage in F1. I am not betting and besides Ferrari will come back again and Mercedes will fall.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Where did this come from?

Being British I support Hamilton as does most everybody else I know; except Sid.

It’s just you Ferrari supporting yanks that don’t like him! Where is the yank driver in F1?

12. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Agree entirely to a point nerofer, but the mark of a good car is that it can win on [almost] any track. To design a car with such limitations is pretty silly in my book. If Mercedes including Red Bull can do it using the same circuits year after year, then I don't see any reason why the SF design team doesn't (cannot) produce a car in the same mould. Previous dominant teams including SF have done it and its not as if the tracks of changed substantially over 15 years or so. So the track is not the problem, the drivers are not the problem, the team function reasonably well then it must be the car, which is down to the designer? For me they have concentrated on pure power to haul their butts out of a hole.
    Regards
    Tony

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The arse on the right is the last ;)

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I wasn't a Wise move.

15. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    As I have stated before, the day LH44 joins the Scuderia is the day I will root against the Scuderia.

I did it when Alonso joined and it worked :)

furoni likes this.
  16. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i think hamilton is one of the sports greatest talents that we have ever seen.
    i have great respect for him as a driver, and foremost as a racer.
    he has supreme ability and a wise head - most of the time.

but i have never liked him as a person. i dont even know him, nor will i likely ever get to know him, so my opinion is based on stupid stuff like how he answers questions in interviews, how he reacts to other drivers, what he says on the radio during the race etc.

i assign zero interest or thought to his race or his lifestyle - i could care less.
    i dont like the way he dresses, has his hair or beard, or his tattoos. but who cares what i care about? nobody.

and evidently it does not matter whether he is universally liked anyway since he is making a ton of money and lives a nice life.

Patrick Dixon, Flavio_C, ktu and 3 others like this.
  17. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #142 zygomatic, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    We adopted Kimi after Austin last year. Sure, we don’t really understand what he says and many of us believe he is from a fictional country, but we can absolutely get behind his off-track lifestyle (we too like to drink, drive fast, ride dirt bikes and generally have fun and enjoy life)

Bas and Nortonious like this.
  18. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Interesting point Tony, but entering into that discussion would really be derailing the thread, something I am guilty of too often...
    Rgds

TonyL likes this.
  19. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    me too, but its inevitable sometimes :)

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    You and me bro! :)
    Ps: gotta send Grosjean a christmas card...that move at spa was priceless! :)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  21. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    ..and me, I do not support him, he drives for the enemy. Mercedes, I would not be seen dead in one, which is good because I like living :D

o_O

Of course it was, what are you on? I assume you did not watch F1 in 2015, perhaps a bit late to the F1 party? He moved and Red Bull were relatively **** the following seasons, sat behind Mercedes. Ferrari and Williams in 2015 at the end of the season. That has only swapped about recently this season. It was a superb move by Vettel and only bettered if he had gone to Mercedes ;)

furoni, Smyrna355Spider and Bas like this.
  22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    A British not having a dull or shallow life:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ATBNM3, william and ktu like this.
  24. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Have to agree. Seb had the car for a WDC last year, but the team and his own driving prevented it from happening.

MalcQV, ATBNM3 and william like this.
  25. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    [QUOTE="MalcQV, post: 146752318, member: 13198
    Of course it was, what are you on? [/QUOTE]

Since he moved to Ferrari, Vettel has been 3rd, 4th, and twice 2nd in the WDC, never winning the title.
    This year, Vettel is at the moment in 4th position, and will almost certainly not win the title again.
    Ferrari is slowing becoming the 3rd team, falling gradually behind Red Bull (Vettel's former team) as Honda improves.
    Mercedes and Red Bull are the teams to be in to have a shot at the title: good cars and good organisation often backed by good pitwall decisions.
    Next year will probably be decided between Hamilton and Verstappen, the rising star.
    Vettel's move to Ferrari hasn't paid off.

LVP488 and ATBNM3 like this.