Good Time here | FerrariChat

Good Time here

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Bob Parks, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Well, in the last few days we had a forced landing on a freeway that was reported that air got into the fuel lines and now we have a Sportsman amphibian on its back in the water with the landing gear DOWN. Must be something in the water. Don't know all the details but something don't look right.

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    This morning the local news had a complete video of the wheels down landing and the flipping result.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Those wheels really create a lot of drag when you stick them in the water at 70 knots or so.

5. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Sea anchors are what I believe they're called.

6. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Shortly after the war I saw a Republic Seabee land in the bay with the wheels down and didn't end up well for the pilot. The value of a pre landing check list is nil when it isn't used.

7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Especially when all you need to do is look out the d... window...

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Certain airplanes you can see one side, but never the other unless you have mirrors on the wing or rely on a passenger to provide confirmation of position. Floats definitely require mirrors.

In 2002 about two months after my partners and I sold our completely refurbished 206 amphib to an Alaskan operator one of their pilots landed wheels down in a river. We had mirrors on both wings. Total write-off, thankfully no major injuries.

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks, true.... on both those planes, can only see one side out the window..

10. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Before I went to work at the airport there was a story about a SeaBee pilot that landed wheels up on the runway. After his airplane was repaired he went through the drill and shot some landings at the airport and then out to Sarasota bay to shoot some water landings. He dutifully remembered to lower the landing gear on the first and only water landing.