The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know | Page 16 | FerrariChat

The 15 New Models by 2022 - What We Know

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Forza Scuderia, Feb 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    the question is will they have the machinery and ability to do it at an affordable price...

just so everyone knows... the gen 2 battery pack on a Mclaren P1 is 180k just for the pack... runs about 230 installed with a major

DGPF likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    yup!

3. Vincent Lehmann

BANNED

Oct 4, 2018
    Paris
    Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone has already mentioned it, if so I apologize for asking the same question...

Does anyone have specifics on 812 GTO/TDF? How limited will it be? When will it be presented? What are the reqs. for an allocation?

Best regards from Switzerland

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I have not heard anything other then the convertible version of the 812 due to be announced next month.

5. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
    Ferr, I think your “6” mention above is the first info you have shared on 2020. Is there any additional info on 2020 you can share with us? Thank you!

6. Benji_ferrari

Benji_ferrari Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Bach
    Does it look better or worse than the current portofino, because I think the current one looks very good for a entry ferrari specially with the roof up

7. OmbryAmbry

OmbryAmbry Rookie

Nov 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    KG
    Is the Portofino coupe the newly rumored v6 or "Dino"?

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't believe so, I think Sep 812/F8 aperta, Nov portofino coupe (v8 turbo)

The next 458/488/F8 is a V6 turbo (perhaps hybrid) hence F8 tribute to last ICE only V8.

9. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    What market are they playing towards with a turbo v6? With the Ferrari crowd being into the Ferrari experience, I wonder if that will hurt Ferrari at all.

Ohanoune likes this.
  10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Car dealers right now have large inventories of 2019 models jamming their lots. People are losing their appetite for new cars.

Luxury car sales are off. Wonder if this will effect Fcar sales with all the new models hitting the market.

DGPF likes this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Dealers are not happy with a possible V6 future, puts them in direct competition with several other marks..

Ohanoune and G. Pepper like this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I assume the V6 turbo-hybrid will pack over 700hp, but just my guess.

Ohanoune likes this.
  13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    V6! V6! V6!

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Would be great if they stirred the pot

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    They already introduced a V8 to top their V12 flagship, so I'm sure they will dare replace the V8 by a V6.
    Porsche has introduced 4-cylinder cars a long time ago, and BMW have replaced their trademark inline 6 by 4-pot engines long ago...
    With direct injection and turbocharging, the benefits of smaller cylinders have been negated and what remains is only the added complexity and weight - that's a pity for the sound, but that's the result of technology developments.

16. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No, it is the result of new stupid Government rules and the idiot people who vote for such people.

Marcel Massini

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Ferrari had I4 race cars early on. Does, "The Admiral" ring a bell? I've heard recordings of his car. It is exactly a quarter of a Ferrari V12.

But time marches on. Just glad I lived when I did. Zero interest in all of the forthcoming electric wonders.

Cars are exactly like women: If they can't be made to scream, they are a waste of time. :)

DGPF likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd argue that's the case for hybrid and electric vehicles, but not for the number of cylinders.
    With carburettors the engine struggles to pump enough fuel mix, hence the need for smaller cylinders; but with direct injection (turbocharging being the last straw) there is no real need for smaller cylinders in terms of efficiency.
    The 125s had a 12-cylinder for 1500cc because it was the way to obtain high specific power at the time - but such engines have been discontinued decades ago.

19. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The reduction of the numbers of the cylinders is a direct result of new and stupid Government rules. Car manufacturers have no choices anymore, first reduce the number of cylinders, make engines smallers, bring in turbos and all the other nonsense. The end of a proper V12 is near. Do I want a V6 instead of a V8? A 4 instead of a 6 cyl engine? No. No matter how many turbos or hybrid and electrical stuff is in the car. I do not want such a thing.
    Just my 0.2 cents. To each his own, of course. It's (still) a free world, more or less.

Marcel Massini

Ohanoune, srslusso, day355 and 4 others like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Marcel, I agree with you. Much of the move is due to government regulations. Your point does bring up a interesting question though. Is there a 'sweet spot' for cylinders as it pertains to weight and power output (assuming using all available technology)

I know Mitsubishi cranked out 440 out of 4 cylinder, Porsche close to 700 with a 6 boxer engine. Both production cars. Is your disgust of smaller cylinders due to sound and turbo lag? Assuming both could be alleviated, would your opinion change?

Ohanoune likes this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I absolutely hate turbos. Any turbo has a lag, always, no matter what manufacturers and testers and media tell you. Have driven many.
    I do not like 4 and 6 cyl engines. Especially on a proper sports car. That has to have at least 8 if not 12 cyls.
    Generally, if you drive 8 and 12 cyls every day you do not want to go down. You wanna go up.
    No, my opinion is not going to change. I am very firm and old fashioned on this.
    And yes, sound is very important to me too. Artificial sound (coming from somewhere under the dashboard) is complete bs.
    Again, that's just me, of course.

Marcel Massini

22. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    That's why i like you Marcel. Hate the fake sound. Unfortunately, i dont think anything new will be to our taste...Turbos, 4 cyl, and Electric...Yuck.

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Fortunately Ferrari V12 engines aren't dead yet ..

red passion and LARRYH like this.
  24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    The funny thing is turbos are just a cheat to pass the tests. Power on demand and very efficient while cruising. But when they are driven hard it's the same as everything else and sometimes worse. That's just not where the testing guidelines are.

25. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Marcel. You and I are kindred spirits in regards to artificial sound and turbo lag. Both are anathema to me. I own both two Ferrari V8s and 1 V12. That said some turbo 4s and 6s are quite powerful and feel much bigger then they are; also, whatever sorcery used has eliminated the turbo lag on some of these engines. Sound-wise, that's another matter.