Need Help Removing Rear Quarter Windows | FerrariChat

Need Help Removing Rear Quarter Windows

Discussion in '308/328' started by JimBow, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimBow

JimBow Rookie

Aug 15, 2006
    Maine
    I am a little new to posting on this site. I have been restoring a 1977 308 GTB. I love the car and FChat has been invaluable with information.

I am now stripping the body for paint. I would like to remove the rear quarter windows so I can paint in that area and replace the rubber. But I am having a problem figuring out how to remove the quarter windows. It is not obvious me. I don't want to pry to much without knowing how it actually goes together. I hope there would be a post on how to do this, but I could't find any.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You firmly push from inside out. There is nothing holding it in other than the rubber gasket around the glass.

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I used a rubber or nylon trim type pry bar to help get an edge started then like Mitchell says just gently push from the inside. They are pretty stout because they are such small windows.

4. JimBow

JimBow Rookie

Aug 15, 2006
    Maine
    Thanks so much! I will try that tonight.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Be sure you don't pop them out crashing down on concrete. ;)

6. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I heard using twine helps...perhaps for pulling or safety???

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  8. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Martin, nice hearing from you.
    If you press the window inside out, like recommended above, the glass comes out with the rubber. I would make sure before attempting this procedure that the rubber is soft and flexible, if not you may crack the glass(don't ask me how I know this :()
    If you are replacing the rubber seals with new ones, I would go ahead and cut the inside lip of the rubber seal with a cutter. This way you don't have to apply that much pressure on the glass.

Hope this helps.

John.

9. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Hi John,

With the surround I meant the window frame, which IMHO should be removed too for painting purposes.

Best
    Martin

10. JimBow

JimBow Rookie

Aug 15, 2006
    Maine
    I got the quarter windows out!

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original question. I wanted to remove the window and the sub-frame that it is in. I looked at it again and pull the interior trim piece and found the three rivets that hold the sub-frame in. Drilled them out the the window came out easily. One the diver's side there is additional rivet by the gas cap.

Thanks.
    Jim Image Unavailable, Please Login

eyeman1234 and miketuason like this.
  11. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

GTB's are very different from GTS.
    Luckily you found out in time that these don't simply push out.
    There are rivets and usually some kind of black rubbery "glue" that hold them in place.
    I used a suction cup to gently pull them out from the outside (after drilling out the rivets of course)

And here is also some info on these windows:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/rear-shelf-removal.233945/

12. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Yes, GTB is NOT like GTS. On the GTB the windows do not just pop out, those rivets have to be drilled out and then the window subframe comes out.

-F