348 - Off the deep end. New (to me) 348 - Driving it 1,110 miles home | Page 2 | FerrariChat

348 Off the deep end. New (to me) 348 - Driving it 1,110 miles home

Discussion in '348/355' started by cardude442, Aug 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Seacoast area (near UNH). I was going to attend the Cars and Coffee at Fox Run Mall tomorrow. Good to hear about the Brookline show, but it will be a bit out of range for my day (other plans).
    Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

audi_328 likes this.
  2. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you! A long time coming. : )

ernie likes this.
  3. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Update: should’ve had them do a new clutch while the motor was out. The clutch is fine - the throw out bearing has developed a squeak after all those miles from a long slumber.

Trying to decide if I’m going to tackle it myself or send it to a local indy in New Hampshire when I get back from work travel.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ohh diy there are several threads and videos on you tube on it,. I tis actually one of the easier things and a real benefit of the trans-axle layout.

Tripple seals are done also, here is links to tripple seals, clutch and TOWb
    https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/ferrari/generations/348/diys/348-clutch-removal-by-ernie
    https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/ferrari/generations/348/diys/348-throwout-bearing-removal-by-ernie
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-clutch-release-bearing-stoogie-style.301895/

Vids also from Paul .

cardude442 likes this.
  5. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you!

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    if you still have the stock one in there, consider the hill upgrade!

sjd

cardude442 likes this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That major at an independent would likely have been 8-11k so not too expensive.
    Personally I’d rather buy a car like my testarossa from a dealer and with service already done or part of the price. Too much stress;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Drove my 355 Home this year when I bought it.
    Remarkably the Route was 355 Miles Door to Door (Added a few for Stops)
    Found it Reassuring, Driving it that far gives a sense of Confidence that the Car is good to go for Future Adventures.

cardude442 likes this.
  9. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The original quote from Ferrari of Atlanta was 'about $10k', with the adjustment for if the car needs anything else. It did and the surprise was the $2,000 price tag on the motor mounts. Ouch! At an indy, we may have had the option to try one of the retrofits for the 355 motor mounts (there are other threads here on that topic - they are much cheaper). I would use FofA again just for the peace of mind.

I had the confidence to drive it ~1,200 miles home after they finished it. Not sure I'd have that with an indy, although I am working to build a relationship with a local indy here in New Hampshire.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That is awesome! Great to hear that I'm not the only one. : )

These cars are meant to be driven.

11. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks @steved033 and @Ferrarium

I pumped up the clutch with the car off to see if I should attempt the drive to yesterday's show in Salem, NH. The clutch pedal was stiff at first and then quickly became pliable. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and noted it was just a smidge below center but was ready to go. (I worked at my dad's garage as a kid 'back in the day')

Fired up the 348 and it had a small noise that settled quickly and I didn't hear a peep from it on the 40 mile drive there. Repeated the process before I left the show (no stiff pedal) and made it 35 miles before it started to squeak on use of the clutch pedal. Became worse until I got it home. As I have a garage under (and my bed is above the 348) I let the cars cool down before bringing them in.

Firing it up cold in the yard, the smell of a 'tire that has been lit on fire' came from the clutch area and prompted me to find my exhaust fans to clear out the garage from fumes. I'm planning on popping the pumpkin off to evaluate what is happening in there this week. The clutch still 'works' (able to move the car, shift gears) but I think I had my last fun day until I get this settled.

I should have had FofA replace the unit - but it didn't give me any indications at the time and I was on expense patrol. I am glad that it happened here and not along the very long drive home.

Tonight I re-watch some of the videos and build a project sheet.

Hill upgrade is being considered. I'll post progress on a new thread.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Pull it and have a look, keep us posted. Most the the factory seals are available to rebuilt the OEM one too. Pretty straight forward, my WHOLE clutch/flywheel/seals/TOB assembly is on deck for this this winter service too. Proactive service though. When the clutch wears down it can causes the OEM TOB casting to crack apparently and dump fluid, there goes brakes and clutch. Doh!

Check my proactive replace parts thread just for reference. With the exception of the clutch and TOB most parts cross reference and you can fix/replace items ahead of failure pretty cheaply. For example I have read the heater water pump under the bonnet seize (its 25 years old after all sitting in water) then damage the HVAC unit. Car over heats due to sensor or fan failure etc most is simple buy annoying stuff, CEL's due to O2 sensors or thermocouples or FPR sticking causing 1212 CEL's etc.

Ohh if you do it you may want to seriously consider re-grease the flywheel and do triple seals while your in there, it almost certainly is due. Its in the links I posted. Here is the Voith system, re-grease flywheel ass its called. Also check the ring nut shows in Paul's videos I linked, really important.

cardude442 likes this.
  13. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Much appreciated!

14. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Can I ask who you're using? I had Bradan do my car's last service, and would for sure use them again for the quality of the work, but would be nice to know of someone more local as well.

cardude442 likes this.
  15. NMF1

NMF1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick Febonio
    Great to hear about more NH cars! I take my car out for a drive in the lakes region often!

Where is Bradans shop?

I'd been interested in hearing about any shops in NH or MA as well!

cardude442 likes this.
  16. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have reached out to Precision in Manchester. They service a friend of mine's 348 Speciale. I am also looking to get a competitive quote from Ferrari of New England.

Difference on Ferrari dealer vs Indy is that Ferrari will provide a 12 month warranty on parts that their dealer network installs. If the prices are close, then I'd prefer dealer vs indy.

I'm also looking at doing the work myself.

NMF1 likes this.
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    "Your Dealer may be different...". Consider that the dealers usually have a significant markup on parts prices. However, if an item fails and pulling the motor again is required for replacement then the 12 month warranty is worth considering. Also, ask if the warranty covers the labor for the second repair.

cardude442 likes this.
  18. NMF1

NMF1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick Febonio
    Finding a good Indy shop in New England that I trust could solve an internal battle for me about whether to pay Ferrari or turn wrenches myself.

I have 8000sqft of garage space with all the car lifts and tools I would need to do my own engine out. Which makes it hard for me to justify paying the dealership premium.

Deep down I know the one thing I don't have and can't buy more of is time. Just finishing up a mercruiser 502 rebuild where we had to hoist the engine out of the boat 12 ft in the air using an I-beam and a chainfall. That job reminded me that time is valuable

Even though I have the tools I'd like to think Id use a good Indy shop if I had one.

Fingers crossed that I remember my own wisdom and find an Indy shop when the time comes

cardude442 and steved033 like this.
  19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Bradan is a sponsor here, they're located outside NYC. Conveniently they offer pick-up/delivery to New England, I believe anywhere in NH is a flat $350 for the round-trip. They're very familiar with the 348/355; you'll see any number of Bradan service threads in this section.

Precision seems like a reputable place as well, the previous owner of my 86 911 used to have the car serviced there.

Time is indeed the limiting resource! I love to work on my own cars, and still do what I can, but time seems to be in shorter supply than ever...

cardude442 and NMF1 like this.
  20. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good to know!

I have a quote from them and spoke to Ferrari of New England today. The service advisor quoted me "eh, it's about $10,000 to $15,000.
    Double to triple the quote from Precision. My experience with FoNE has not been stellar to date (and I used to run a service department for a large dealer conglomerate in the 90's).

My quote is to cover:
    • Flange replacement
    • Thrust bearing replacement
    • Change the triple seals
    • Re-pack the flywheel grease
    • Worst case option to replace friction plate
    Precision seems to be able to get started quickly, I'm just verifying parts costs. They seem a little high and it's a conversation for Monday.

BTW: I grew up in the auto industry. I know that shops need a margin on parts. ; )

21. NMF1

NMF1 Rookie

Jun 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Nick Febonio
    This is all super helpful. I'll need someone to work on my 355 at some point so very interested in hearing more about Bradan and Precision!

Thanks for sharing!!

More 348/355 guys in NH than I would have thought. At some point a group drive or group shop day for small stuff could be interesting. I've got 5 lifts and lots of tools, sharing knowledge would be great.

audi_328 and cardude442 like this.
  22. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a friend in Dover, NH with a sweet 355 Spider, and a friend more towards Manchester with a 94 348 TS Speciale. Good idea!

audi_328 likes this.
  23. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    There are more of us around than I thought as well. Funny, growing up in rural NH and having been a Ferrari nut since the late 80s, you almost never saw a Ferrari on the road in NH back then, and believe me as a kid I was looking! A guy in Dover had a silver/red 308 GTS in the early 90s, I think he owned a gas station downtown, but that was it.

I'd be down for a get together at some point, that would be great :)

24. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Here's a photo of my spider with my buddies 348 TS Speciale and a few other Italian cars from last week's show at Tuscan Kitchen in Salem, NH.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. cardude442

cardude442 Karting

Jun 5, 2019
    New Hampshire, USA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Those are both '94 348s and our model numbers are a few apart. Mine is a later build number.

audi_328 likes this.