How long is it ok to stay revved? | FerrariChat

How long is it ok to stay revved?

Discussion in '360/430' started by rquad, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    New 360 owner here. Most of my experience is with classic American cars. I was very surprised to see the 360 turns 3000 RPMs at 70 MPH. I drove about 250 miles home after buying the car, and I tried to keep it under 3000 RPMs because my mindset has always been not to run a car at high RPM for a long time. But, that keeps the speed down to 60 - 65, which is painfully slow in any car, but especially a Ferrari.

What's the story on 360's and RPMs? Is turning 3000 or more for an extended period of time bad for the car?

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    No point in buying one of these if you are scared of blowing the engine, they are designed to rev all day at a lot more than 3000.
    On a separate point an industrial diesel generator will run all day at 3600 rpm for 60 Hz supply-day in, day out. A ferrari engine is a lot higher spec so go and enjoy it.

3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    It's designed to be a high revving engine. It felt kind of weird at first coming from giant pushrod engines that pretty much idle on the highway.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's NOT an American V8. It's designed from the onset to be a higher revving engine.

whatheheck likes this.
  5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It's the way the engine was designed to run. At 3000 RPM you barely have it breathing heavy. I run mine at 4000 to 4500 and cruise all day long. IIRC, Enzo once said; At Ferrari we build engines and happen to include a body and car around it.

It's a different animal than my cars with American "tuned" V8's. With the valve exhaust of the Ferrari, most guys are not expecting it to be sounding so docile at idle-- expecting it to sound like a Corvette or Mustang V8 upon a slight throttle blip. But the Ferrari doesn't come alive until higher, much higher RPMS.

whatheheck likes this.
  6. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    Ha! You are exactly right about the idle sound - I was very surprised at how quiet it was (stock exhaust headers). Probably too many YouTube videos of hopped up cars with Tubi exhausts set my expectations wrong. But, that's fine. I have a Nova with an LS2 and 3" exhaust that makes plenty of sound down low. Two different beasts, like male and female - one isn't necessarily better than the other, just different.

...and thanks for all the replies about driving with higher RPMs. I'll just have to get used to it. It is very different from my prior experience.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    My main concern is that I have the engine up to operating temps before trouncing it. But once warmed up, that sound at 7500-8000 RPMs mimics a Formula One car! Intoxicating:D

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Exactly .. make sure oil temp is at 170 or above before pushing any engine

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

E60 M5 likes this.
  9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    If you aren't running the engine to 8,000 rpm regularly, you are truly missing out on the amazing experience of owning a Ferrari

10. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    I wasn't worried about running up the dial - I've done that (after proper warm-up). My main concern was keeping the RPMs high for an extended period of time - like an hour or two straight. From the input so far, it looks like that's not an issue.

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    It's not. I've done it. Took a road trip last month. And hour and a half of straight driving at 90MPH.
    Enjoy it bro. The engine is an amazing feat of engineering and incredibly reliable and stout when properly maintained.;)

12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I guess the big question is cruising at 3000-4000 rpm spins the engine 2x as much as 1500-2000 rpm engine. So logic says wear related to moving parts should be 2x more in a ferrari. Has ferrari figured out how to have less wear per rpm than other lower revving brands?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    It's balanced for high rpm operation... unlike the typical domestic small block v8. Enjoy

14. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    Sure, I get that balancing would reduce vibration and allow higher revs. But would balancing offset degradation due to friction?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    No worries. I've driven my 430 from Chicago to Naples twice, stopping only for gas and averaging around 80 mph

Sent from my Galaxy

16. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    A bigger worry should be lugging the engine at high throttle settings at low rpms.

Cruising in 6th, the cops will become a worry long before your rpms will.

KC360 FL likes this.
  17. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    car idles at ~1k rpm. redline at ~8.5k rpm. so you have a range of 7.5k rpm.
    at 3k rpm, you are using 2k of 7.5k range.... it is barely working....

KC360 FL likes this.
  18. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I remember on one driving event around 10 years ago in mainland China. There were 30-40 cars including some lp560, lp640, 430, GT3, GT4, GTR R34... and I had a E92M3. We had average speed of 240kph, occasionally peak at 300kph. The guy with the 360SC had to drive near the redline to keep up. We did that for 4-5 hours, only stop to refuel every 45 minutes. He was really worry about his engine but there were no problem at the end.

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    After you start it from cold do not rev the engine beyond 3K rpm until the oil temp gauge comes off the left peg. That has been a rule that I read here a long time ago.
    I live by it. After the oil starts heating up, then give it to her and enjoy the sound.

tomconte likes this.
  20. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    As long as you get it properly warmed up and change the oil frequently (~5k miles) there’s is nothing to worry about. I did an oil analysis on mine and there was no abnormal wear despite driving hard regularly.

21. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    A boat engine is designed to run at 80% of wide open throttle ALL DAY long.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    No worries at all just like everyone said. Just ensure the engine is fully warmed up before you push her hard.

I had a 360 spider now an F430 Spider. I shift at redline 90% of the time, I push the car hard all the time and I cruise at high RPM most of the time as this is where the engine loves to sing.

Let her proudly sing!

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Way2fast likes this.
  23. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just to add to my post above .. modulating rpm in long hauls is a little better than staying at one rpm in general

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  24. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The OP asks about running at 3000 rpm, which as we have pointed out is low for a Ferrari flat plane crank V8. But, my F512M owners manual has a specific warning about not running the engine above 5000 rpm for an extended period. This is the final version of the 180 degree/flat 12 Ferrari engine with lightweight components, and the fact that the manufacturer chose to post a warning says to me revving at a constant high (although much higher than 3000) rpm is not recommended. I had a high tech Euro sports car which I bought new that snapped a con rod after I spent a year pasting it down the autobahn at 4000 plus rpm daily. There’s a big difference between a couple of high speed runs and constant high revs over a year or two.

But 3000 rpm in any Ferrari, is barely getting going.

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Was that note just for break in period ?

bellwilliam likes this.