Francis is leaving Algar | FerrariChat

Francis is leaving Algar

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Carnut, Aug 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have known Francis for all the years he has been at Algar, he is more like a friend to me than someone I have done business with. I was just invited to his farewell party, and I am going to stop by to say goodbye. I have worked with a lot of people in the car business over the years, and only a few I would call a friend, and even less I would trust as much as I trust Francis. I wish him (and his family) well (I know what is next for him) on what comes next, but I will miss him. Algar will never be the same for me.

Zinger and ZINGARA 250GTL like this.
  2. jjforsy

jjforsy Rookie

Feb 12, 2008
    Totally agree with above. Buying a car with him was like doing business with a friend. You had complete trust that you would be taken care of and everything would go smoothly. Have worked with him every since buying first Ferrari there in 2007 and subsequently 9 other Ferrari's and Maserati's since. He will be sadly missed. I also know that Tony Palmer has departed and he was a stand up guy as well. . With both of these outstanding individuals departing so abruptly make me wonder what is going on with upper management and leadership. As mentioned above, Algar will never be the same. I just don't understand why you would want to mess with such an outstanding winning formula and people that you trust, call friends and are proud to do business with. Stay tuned!

3. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    Totally agree with the comments above. I too consider Francis a good friend. Most honest and trust worthy person you will ever know. I remember Francis' first job was washing cars at Algar. Worked his way to the top and deserved it. Bought my first Ferrari from him. Algar was family to me when Bob still owned the store. I miss the days when I would go in just to look at the cars. Order lunch from the deli. Sit at the table and listen to stories from Bob, Frank, Rick, and Francis. I don't know what's going on with leadership at Algar but great people like Francis are hard to find and harder to replace. Francis, my wife and I wish you and your family the very best. #3

CCns23 likes this.
  4. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I was very sad to hear the news...I’ve known Francis and have been working with him for about 18 years now...without actually buying a car from him. I take comfort knowing that I will still have the opportunity to...as I understand, he’s going to land at Ferrari of Palm Beach in a similar role in a few weeks.

5. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Algar was a special place when Bob still owned it
    Customers and employees were like family
    I have a great Francis story I want to tell him on Thursday when I say my goodbyes

Zinger likes this.
  6. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    I purchased my first Ferrari from Francis, a 2008 F430 coupe years and years ago. It was a special experience and Francis made the purchase soo easy and enjoyable. Best of luck to Francis and his future ventures!

7. 330gt 2+2

330gt 2+2 Rookie

Mar 23, 2005
    Francis forgot more than most people know about Ferraris ,old and new. He has been a neighbor and friend for years. We have spent many days in the field chasing birds around with our dogs.
    He is an absolute gentleman and great friend.
    He will be a hard act to follow for Algar and will be missed.
    And Francis , learn how to tie a Bimini knot before you move to Florida !
    Your Friend ,
    Buddy Obara

8. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sooooo . . . he's moving down my way.

Algar will have a hard time finding anyone to fill his shoes. They have quality folks though, and I'm sure will figure it out.

Bought one car from Bob and one from Francis. Can tell you there was ZERO difference in the experience, and that's high praise for both guys.

Both always found the time to spend a couple minutes with a customer, a prospect, or just a kid walking through the door. Classy guys, class organization.

I may have to drop in on him once he's settled in FL.

Good luck in the new job Francis.

Dave M.

rampante550 likes this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    All this praise, Francis is going to get tears in his eyes. I cant argue that he knows Ferrari's but single malts, I had to give him a few lessons in those. I am going to try and stop by later today to say goodbye. Dave you should drop in on him and I did alter my hat, it is now complete with dancing bears. I get complements on it every time I wear it.

10. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I have been dealing with Francis since the late 90's and am concerned about what's going on at Algar. I have a deposit on an F8 and don't even know who my contact person is anymore, I hope my spot on future cars is safe. Hopefully someone from the dealership will reach out or I'll have to call Dave Dargenio, who is new and I don't know. Can't say I blame Francis for leaving though Palm Beach winters are pretty fantastic. Good Luck Francis.

11. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    I checked the staff directory on Ferrari of Palm Beach's website. Francis was not listed. Did he wind up somewhere else, or is the FoPB directory out of date?

12. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I noticed the same thing, a couple of us were speaking of this yesterday on our way to Amelia...hadn't been able to track him down just yet.

13. Alxlee

Alxlee F1 Rookie

Apr 8, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    Full Name:
    Alex Lee
    I was able to reach him today, he's not sure why the directory has not been updated yet, but he is aware. If you wish to reach him, his extension is 6774 and email is [email protected]. Also, his mobile number has not changed.

Al Casteen likes this.