355 - Spider top hydraulic diagram?? | FerrariChat

355 Spider top hydraulic diagram??

Discussion in '348/355' started by krazykarguy, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I was hoping that someone out there had a better schematic (similar to Ian's colorized wiring diagrams) for the 355 Spider top hydraulics.

I have the exploded parts diagram, but it is not perfectly clear, to say the least, especially with the ports labeling for the distribution blocks.

My digital service manual is also missing all of the Spider-specific top information (i.e. the 'bleed sequence' from page H80). If anyone has this information, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Like all Spider owners, my top is being a PITA, and I am *this close* to biting the bullet and converting it to manual operation and ditching all of the hydraulics I can.

Regards-
    Matt

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Not really sure what you mean, Matt, but these are latest roof diagrams...

F355 Spider Roof Hydraulics

F355 Spider Roof Electrics

Not sure if the bleed procedure is included in this F355 roof video on YouTube (?)

3. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Hi Ian -

The hydraulic diagram I had not yet found, and I can't say that I'm surprised that you made one of these as well. Thanks for posting it.

I mostly needed a diagram to understand the functionality of the hydraulic circuits, and believe that my current issue is the solenoid valve as well as the necessity for a full system bleed.

Below is my attempt at the very same, using the exploded parts diagram...

Attached Files:

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Excellent.

The solenoid valve seems only to control the last stages of closing. When deactivated, it just allows you to pull back on the top half without resistance (when opening)

What are the symptoms?

5. krazykarguy

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I believe that the solenoid must be disconnected. The secondary rams are inop on my car, and the top refuses to go down.

The elastics are in good shape and pull the bow back as designed, the seats move forward and the windows drop. The pump makes noise, but no primary ram movement.

I am fairly confident that the system is full of air, and I intend a full bleed down of the system. Is there a step-by-step writeup of the bleed process? spiderscott's video was very useful, but in it he says that there is a writeup on his ratarossa.com page, but I can't find it... The reservoir is at MAX.

I assume that you would bleed it first at the screw under the distribution block in front of the pump, then at the bleed screw right below the pump itself. Then at the bleeder nipple on the LH primary piston, correct? Are there other air bleed locations?

Have people found corroded electrical contacts in this system before?