Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British? | Page 7 | FerrariChat

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, Aug 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Why Hamilton is not so liked by the British?

1. Because he is of mixed race

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Because he is Catholic

3 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Because of his lifestyle / ethics

25 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Because he lives in Monaco

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. None of the above

32 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    The British don't like him? I thought he was quite loved? Not being facetious.

LVP488, ATBNM3 and william like this.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Since he moved to Ferrari, Vettel has been 3rd, 4th, and twice 2nd in the WDC, never winning the title.
    This year, Vettel is at the moment in 4th position, and will almost certainly not win the title again.
    Ferrari is slowing becoming the 3rd team, falling gradually behind Red Bull (Vettel's former team) as Honda improves.
    Mercedes and Red Bull are the teams to be in to have a shot at the title: good cars and good organisation often backed by good pitwall decisions.
    Next year will probably be decided between Hamilton and Verstappen, the rising star.
    Vettel's move to Ferrari hasn't paid off.[/QUOTE]

You are very good at stating the blindingly obvious with the benefit of hindsight.

Hindsight is useless in sport, business or relationships.

3. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    He is liked; the thread title is slightly disjointed from the OPs post.

Ie why don’t we put him in a pedestal like Brazil and Senna etc.

Well; actually that’s a very good question.

My two cents worth....
    1) Brits don’t like celebrating success, and like him or not Hamilton is one of THE most successful F1 drivers in history (please don’t start on the crap about conspiracy, cheating etc, it’s childish and boring)
    2) the most popular newspaper in the UK is the sun. That was understandable when it had tits on page three; but now unfortunately it just emphasises the average IQ. (Think national enquirer!)
    3) football (soccer to you yanks), is the most watched sport and the ludite mentality prevails all; kind of hand in hand with all the z list reality tv “stars”. Thick as two short planks.
    4) the media. What can you say about them that isn’t negative?

We have “sports personality of the year”. The number of times you look at who won and go “really?” Everybody else was far more accomplished/deserving!

Same with sailing. We have some of the best sailors in the world, It is actually the 2nd highest participation sport in the UK; but main events won’t even make the tv news, maybe a foot note in the papers if we are lucky!

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for the excellent post and background. I appreciate your enlightening me!

Cheers

5. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So you took a quick selfie, did you?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Would be quite a shock for sure.Younger,richer,plenty of boys toys to play with,not too sure about my new Tats though!

Isobel ?:eek:

7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Reduce my drug abuse

8. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    Zonda LH760 and every super model on planet earth.

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's strange: sailing is very popular in France and one of the most exposed sport on TV, radio, etc...France Inter (the "public" radio) follows every sailing event and gives you a résumé in all the news bulletins.

Rgds

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Is it because most of the long distance sailing races start from France ? Transat, Route du Rhum, Round the World, etc ...

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I think we do, but in a more subdued way; we don't go bananas like some countries do.

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Perhaps? But I can tell you that the coverage is very extensive, either on TV or on the radio. To ignore that a race is on, you must: not read any paper, not watch TV, not listen to the radio, and not connect with any media on the net.
    Naïvely, I would have thought that England (or the U.K) with its long naval past, would pay at least the same level of attention to sailing than France does. "Now, Gentlemen, please tell me what would Hornblower have done?"
    (And I am derailing the thread once more...)

Rgds

william likes this.
  13. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I didn't know Ham sail raced also :)

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    You're not listening. I said he left RB at the end of 2014 and in 2015 they were crap and Ferrari second only to Mercedes who IIRC did not offer Vettel a seat. If he had stayed at Red Bull he'd have done much worse. How can that be a bad move FFS?
    Secondly as mentioned above he had a chance because the car was good in a previous season but he ****ed up himself and gave it to Lewis.

He did not and has not since had the option of going to Mercedes and only until now are RB looking better. So when you say it was a bad move it clearly was not. It was not the best move (that would have been Mercedes) but it was the second best choice.

I bet all your coffee or tea cups at home are half full.

So tell me other than Mercedes (one option not open to him) what would have been the best choice for him. I'd love to know?

It's clear you hate Ferrari, and I wonder why you are here at all :rolleyes:

Bas, P.Singhof and stavura like this.
  15. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    Good luck with that discussion.

P.Singhof and MalcQV like this.
  16. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Indeed.
    I also meant to say "Cups half empty" Doh!

17. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    I was curious about the radio messeges thing.

Is Lewis the only driver who whines? I put my pro F1 account to something actually useful. The past 3 races listened to team radio by various drivers (you can find them on YouTube) for feedback. Also took a listen to 2017 and 2018 seasons.

Surprisingly, all of them whine. Alot. It's entertaining in a way.

Actually I like Vettel and Hamilton's whining the most, they tend to be aggressive in the heat of the moment. Max was suprisingly soft, especially this last race when his tires was gone. He sounded like the world had ended.

Kimi was the best, he stayed the most cool during every race I listened to, and pulled no bones about admonoshing stupidity.

I found out that during the live broadcast, Hamiltons messeges are heavily favored.

The midfield is largely ignored, and you hardly hear anything from Williams.

Verstappen was on the radio pretty often this last race, but Lewis/Mercedes was the team radio played live broadcast after time delay. Especially as he was hunting down Max, it was excessive. While during that same time Max was on the radio but it wasn't broadcast, just a few snippets here and there.

Why this is, I have no idea. But that's where that perception comes from. Sure he whines. Alot. They all do.

As for dislike, he seems normal to me. He seems fake to some because he has a manufactured and cultivated persona. Who cares. Many people do.

I don't find that as a reason to dislike someone.
    To me, it is true that he tends to get alot of hate for things that another driver do.

I like that he tries to be different at least. Odd clothes and all.

Surfah, ktu and william like this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Sorry you have a problem dealing with my opinion.

I guess you must be of that generation that puts "hate" and "love" in every other sentence for effect.

I hate no one, but I like efficient and well run organisations that get results; that's not Ferrari for the last decade at least.

I consider that Vettel made a mistake leaving RB, because just like Alonso before, he cornered himself on the driver"s market by moving to Ferrari.

Now the 2 leading teams (Mercedes and Red Bull) probably won't call on him, and he has the tag of having failed at Ferrari (just like Alonso).

So the move to Ferrari brought small gains in 2015, but not long term rewards, bearing in mind that as a 4-time WDC, Vettel was supposed to be interested only in another title.

19. ilappassionatodicavallino

Nov 2, 2016
    Texas
    I will go the other "haters" one better: I only like two of the F1 drivers; the two that drive for MY team. MY team is Scuderia Ferrari. I "hate";) the other eighteen because they drive for teams that are trying to beat MY team. Lewis Hamilton drives for a team that is currently beating MY team, so I "hate" him. I will always back Scuderia Ferrari, win or lose. The drivers are irrelevant to me. Ferrari su tutti gli altri!

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    "Is it almost over"?

21. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    I mentioned this in a previous thread that all drivers complain on the radio, but because Lewis is so popular, they mostly play his. It's good you found proof of this.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  22. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Wrong... they play it because most of the time he is in front and so they can give the race some fake tension when Lewis again talks about problems. No matter how popular he might be, they won't play "I am in front, the car is great and I cruise home for victory".... It is all about keeping the show up, no more no less.
    When Kubica says the car is **** it does not make sense to air that as people already know anyway!

furoni, TonyL, Jeronimo GTO and 2 others like this.
  23. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    That too, in addition to him being popular.

ATBNM3 likes this.
  24. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Sports trash talk is usually done with a sense of humor. It's a bit mean spirited here.

ATBNM3, ktu, Igor Ound and 1 other person like this.