599 GTO vs TDF long term? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

599 GTO vs TDF long term?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by raclaims, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    In 25 years both will be valuable. I find the TDF to be more special due to the bodywork alone.

Boomhauer, LARRYH, MDEL and 3 others like this.
  2. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    I was reading a fascinating thread in the general section about ban on petrol cars in various countries in the next 20 years. Cars will end up being valued more by rarity than anything else (unless they are racing cars with history). Anyone who remembers how these cars drive or sound like might be too old by then to care.

3. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    This is so true !

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

nmcclure likes this.
  4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    People will still drive them. You don't ride a horse into town for errands - well, most don't. But there are still people who enjoy riding horses all over the world. I think it will be the same for cars. Most of these phase out plans I've read about don't ban the cars, they just say new cars have to be EV. It will take time. In the mean time, as they say, "smoke em if you got em" And I'm talking about your tires! :)

5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    You guys are stark raving mad.
    No one...let me repeat that...no one will be banning ICE cars and trucks in the USA for the rest of my lifetime.
    Guess what...we weren’t flying around in Jetsons space cars in 2000 either....oh...and fossil fuels will last hundreds of years despite being told we’d have exhausted all reserves by now.

Take a deep breath y’all.

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The infrastructure necessary for complete replacement of ICE cars/trucks will take an entire generation (if not longer) to build out and make operational....

LARRYH likes this.
  7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    with the current EPA laws and reviews it would likely take longer then several generations ....to approve and build the infrastructure

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does anyone else think that the F12 TDF has -10x the road presence of the 599 GTO?

dustman likes this.
  9. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nope - just picked my TDF up from service and was looking at a pearl white GTO with NART blue stripe. It looked great. But I asked myself would I ever consider that over my TDF... not in a million years!

Unless your - sign was a typo... because TDF has 10X the presence of the GTO

Boomhauer likes this.
  10. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Objectively the TDF is a much better car than the GTO. However there is something that tickles me with the GTO. I sold mine too soon but I still remember a visceral, emotional car, admittedly with some weaknesses that one wants to wake up early to drive on empty roads...In time I think the value gap between the two will shrink further.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have no doubt the TdF is far better than the 599 GTO - that's called progress... But I'm also pretty sure there are people prefering the older, less developed car (we saw that sooo many times). What always surprises me is when people just stop one generation before now, to me it does not make sense. Either one looks for progress - and the latest is always the greatest; or one looks for something else, but then to me one generation before is not enough to make a real difference.
    I can like both sides (sorry my personal achievements do not allow me to look for a TdF ;) ) - I have a 488, and an F8 on order, and also enjoy a Caterham with a design basically unchanged since 1957.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The F12 platform is significantly advanced from the 599 platform. Ferrari wouldn't have created an entirely new platform unless it was needed.

Road presence/ looks/ etc is a subjective matter. I think the F12tdf is more desirable than the 599 GTO, but I don't think it has many times the road presence. Both are super special Ferraris.

Bundy and DRYHOLE like this.
  13. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Owning both now for a while, I would say that the Tdf wins hands down.

I love the GTO for what it is and the unique character it has (such as the gearbox and shifting) but the Tdf pushes all the right buttons on me and was built right here in the sweet spot between ultimate performance and mandated pollution laws. There is no GPF on my Tdf and there is no HELE emissions button on my Tdf. Instead I've got 770 hp of unrestricted V12 brutal happiness.

carlom001, Bundy, Scudmsl and 7 others like this.
  14. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Look, if the 599GTO had a manual transmission, then it wouldn't be even close. I would pick the GTO in a heartbeat. But since the GTO came with that ancient single clutch gearbox, which in my opinion was an incomplete technology, it's a no brainer that the TDF gets my vote. They are both loaded with technologies (relatively speaking, compared to let's say a Carrera GT), except one is complete and the other is not. Looks are subjective and I like both car's styling.

JackCongo likes this.
  15. Spider68

Spider68 Karting

Aug 21, 2010
    Switzerland
    Being lucky enough to have both cars you can’t really compare them in my mind! While I die for the sound of the GTO the TdF is the immense better car to drive .... but that sound

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk Pro

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    whats difference in weight between the 2. i know big complaint vs 599 was its excess size and weight. i also dont put much faith in ferrari factory dry weight figures. i would love to know what a single set of scales would read for both cars with full fluids and gas.

17. glob1971

glob1971 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Who cares of performance and weight, 250 GTO and 288 GTO (among many others) have poor performance relative to today’s standards. Why comparing F12 TDF and 599 GTO top speed and driving capabilities ? What matters is emotions and driving experience.

day355 and plastique999 like this.
  18. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i agree but weight is a huge factor in how a car feels to drive. light weight adds to the emotion and experience

19. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    They are different cars. Best to have both. Choose one out of two would be the TDF in the current era.

To me,
    GTO is raw and mechanical.
    TDF is alive and edge.

There's 0 chance any car in the future gonna be like GTO. Manufacturers just don't make this kinda car anymore. However, the 812 SV can still go with the TDF way and improve more. So, technically the TDF status is not solid until the 812 SV comes out.

Elistyo90, glob1971 and j09333 like this.
  20. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I forgot to mention the looks.

TDF's design is aging better in my eyes. I didn't like it when it just came out, felt like an F12 with aftermarket body kit. Now the TDF looks very special.
    GTO's design is every little bit better than the GTB but in a conservative way.

zooyorker likes this.
  21. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    Now almost a year later as we all await the announcement of the 812VS I’m starting to see tdf prices come down quite a bit as well as GTO’s. Since last year tdf prob dropped a good £100k in the UK if not more and more will be coming into the market since those who own it imo are likely the ones swapping them for the 812VS so i can see prices soften more for the tdf. RHD GTO’s are much rarer and feels like they are close to the bottom and less vulnerable from the 812VS than the tdf . The gap between then narrowed as well. Interesting times to follow

glob1971 likes this.
  22. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Could you compare the same: F40 vs 288?
    Does the F40 have 10x more road presence?

23. mepassione

mepassione Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2019
    Full Name:
    Passione
    That’s a great comparison? What makes the 288GTO more desirable than its successor?

24. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    272 units built versus 1340 or so. But the F40
    Is so visceral it’s absolutely frightening even by today’s standards. I have a 599 GTO and it still terrifies me - that’s why I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bundy likes this.
  25. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    More based on my opinion that the front of the F12 resembles the C7 Corvette.

But...yes actually, I would say the F40 has significantly more road presence than the 288.

95spiderman likes this.