Extreme Hiking anyone? | FerrariChat

Extreme Hiking anyone?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Todd308TR, Dec 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    AandSC likes this.
  2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Cool! Nice job, love hiking.

3. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have hiked the first 275 miles of the Appalachian Trail, Angels Landing in Zion and also Yosemite in Winter, you might like this thread from last year:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/hiking-hadrians-wall-2017.552143/

In 75 days (April 2018) myself and 14 friends are hiking the Great Glen Way in Scotland, we also have our sites set on Everest Base Camp and Mt. Kilimanjaro someday.

4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we're back in Boulder and then Estes later in week hiking almost daily. yesterday we just did run around CU campus to help acclimate. we had great day today doing Green Mountain and long route home for 7.94 miles and 2,448 elevation. I did this 2016 with a young skinny mountain guide, but we did it today with Jennie and Mia only taking 20 more minutes. Mia was a beast (sherpa) on the first 2.5 miles to the summit. At 60 pounds she just flies up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn Rob, do you ever, you know, like chill?

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Great Family Pic, to boot!

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az
    "I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I’m actually good at that. :). I’m an expert sleeper and napper, also expert at Old Fashioned’s. :D

Texas Forever likes this.
  8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But do you ever, like, tiptoe through the tulips? Or just groovin? :p

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Can't believe I missed this thread. I love hiking. My 2 favorite of all time were the Cables of Half Dome (Yosemite) and Kanarraville Falls just outside of Zion. The latter is probably the easiest hike ever, but the most beautiful with the slot canyons and waterfall.

rob lay likes this.
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    File this under never do that again! Jennie and I successfully summited Long’s Peak yesterday. Started 1am, summited in 7 hours 30 minutes, and back down in 6 hours 30 minutes. Jennie could have done it quicker, but I was carrying 100 pounds more up the mountain than her. :D. 14,259 feet, 4,744 elevation gain, 7k calories burned, and 14.5 miles round trip.

Above the boulder field entering the keyhole (where 1.5 miles exposed technical stuff starts).

The Ledges, I think more exposed and more deaths than the Narrows. That’s Jennie blue everything.

Below bolder field 6 miles into the easy part up and 2 miles of terror to the peak.

Ascent stats.

Peak

friends at 14k

wax likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #12 rob lay, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Just had a good 2 weeks out of Vail which included some great hikes.

Vail Berrypicker w/Mia 7 miles and 2,100 feet gain.

Booth Falls w/girlfriend 4 miles 1,300 feet.

Actually ran an official race from Vail Village over to Berrypicker and then back to top of Gondola 1. I broke all kinds of personal records going up the mountain average 17 minute miles for 4.5 miles, but still got butt kicked by all the mountain men that weigh 140 lbs. :D

Did 14’er Sherman and took saddle over to do sub 14’er Sheridan.

The hike of the trip was Mount of the Holy Cross ass kicker 12 miles and 5,200 feet climb being my 3rd 14’er.

13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    wow, that is awesome. I cannot even fathom being in that good of shape (sadly).

Speaking of sad, gotta say I went thru the thread from start to finish and your relationship change is noteworthy (we all thought you and the wife and daughter had it all going on). New lady looks and sounds great from what you've said, so cool that she is now doing some of these with you...think she will join you on the crazy rock scramble to 14,000 hike/climbs?

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    me either, went through bad bouts of clots early 2017 and it did a number on my left leg and lungs. when I could start running again I went from running 5 miles to a quarter mile and then my pace from 8 minutes to 12 minutes. I was determined to get over it though and it took almost 2 years for me to feel as good and have the pace I had before the clots. Doing a half marathon in December.

strange deal to me, wasn't expecting it. no one did each other wrong, always got along, finances good, everything good, except after 25 years she was looking to do something different and it wasn't me. :) now I'm thankful as feel like I really found the love of my life and this has focused me on important things as I leave 45 behind. think I'm going through positives of a midlife without actually going through a midlife myself. :D

15. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Another challenge for the extreme hiker--Grand Canyon Rim to Rim to Rim. No overnight camping, moving non-stop except for food, water, sock changes. Two good friends did it in 25:00 hrs with the slower hiker taking way too many breaks. I and a long-time endurance friend did it in 16:48. And a buddy bested us with a time of 14:41. Hardest thing I've ever done. 43 miles, major elevation change, gorgeous sunrise views. Just thought I'd post this here for the few crazies on this site!

BTW in Zion National Park, Observation Point hike is a much better view than Angel's Landing (unless you climb the north face of it...)

zygomatic likes this.
  16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    congrats!

That might be just a little much for me right now. I did a 20+ mile day hunting in Alaska much of it off trail. That has been my hardest day. Long's Peak 15 miles and 5k, then Holy Cross 10 miles and 5,500 feet. I just don't think my body could take enough liquid and calories to handle 43 and 12k. I do want to do rim to rim though.

https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recording/grand-canyon-rim-to-rim-to-rim--7

17. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

For fun, I did rim to rim in July - saw 116 on the way out

Hightower and rob lay like this.
  18. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Rim to Rim would be great as well. I've thought about it and would still need to take months to train for it as well. Lots of water stations on the north rim part of the canyon make starting on the South a great idea. Beautiful hike either way!

zygomatic likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That sounds like fun...I've only been to the north rim (trip involved Zion and Bryce Canyon) and it was beautiful.

I'm pretty sure I can't do that hike though...I would dehydrate and cramp up too easily. The most hiking I've done in the last few years was up half dome. 17 miles roundtrip and it took nearly 12 hours. My legs were cramping up on mile 16 which was almost flat and near the parking lot...that would be bad to happen going back up something like the grand canyon...

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Hiking Azores soon. It’s no R2R2R Grand Canyon but should be fun.
    Have thought of R2R. Have done GC 5-6 times just down and back after an overnight camping. 3-4hrs down and 5-7 up. So a R2R2R would be 20hrs for me. Tough at 50 and 220 blood pressure w/o meds. Sadly, hereditary despite being in fighting shape.

zygomatic likes this.
  21. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    We all have reasons to do or not do something. What matters is what YOU chose to do. Doesn't matter what others do, just keep getting outside. Life is short!

And some of my best memories are drinking beers with friends around the campfire...

rob lay likes this.
  22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  23. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
  24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    that's just crazy! :D I couldn't do that yet, but funny thing the more hikes I have with exposure and then after rock climbing this past summer I am getting more comfortable.

25. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Great pics, just went through the thread. Big fan of trekking, I'm fairly athletic, but not so great at high altitudes. Andy, your pic made my hands sweat, lol!