Headers. And smog checks | FerrariChat

Headers. And smog checks

Discussion in '360/430' started by aslowdodge, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    as a new f430 owner I just passed Georgia Smog test. I have what appears to be factory manifolds and a Tubi gtc exhaust.
    Does the Tubi add any power?
    I want to add headers, will I have any problems passing smog again?
    Is there a way to tell if I have gen 1 or gen 2 factory manifolds. I thought I read that the location of the o2 will reveal which ones I have.

2. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I can't tell you the physical difference of gen 1 or gen 2, but I can tell you from experience both gen cracks easily.......

as for smog.... may be put on a header blanket. Friendly smog shop will let you slide with visual if it isn't obvious.... some are hard as* and will take a mirror to everything, including check part # on cat (most aftermarket cat are not legal here in Cali).

whatheheck and Skidkid like this.
  3. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    will headers make the car not pass smog. I though I read something about a precat in factory manifolds so if that goes missing with the headers is that an issue?

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes, it is an issue for CA smog. AND that is assuming you get around the CEL issue.

5. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Do they actually do a sniff test from the pipe, or just plug in to the OBD?
    If it is just a plug in, I have headers, stock cats with spacers with mini cats in them for the 02 sensors to thread into.
    Capristo exhaust without valves.
    I pass plug in at inspection and do not have any codes stored, nor a CEL.

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Driller— agreed but you are not in the republic of California......... where enviro-enthusiasm is ever pushing the boundaries of practicality!!!

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    They went from rolling road & sniffer to an OBD plug in test. BUT they are also supposed to verify that the parts are all OEM. They all do a visual inspection so headers will pop as an obvious change and potentially cause them to look more. They all try to look at the cats so a cat delete will generally fail. Some will go as far as to find the serial numbers for the parts; they generally do that when there is a question and they are concerned about getting popped. SO it may pass and could for years then suddenly not pass and be flagged leaving with a car that can not be registered or driven and potentially fines for messing with the smog equipment. And yes, they check for the air injection rails and pump as well.

8. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    So what are Ca owners with headers going to do? When I lived in Ca they did the sniffer test. Here in Georgia I passed smog and I believe they only plugged into the OBD and did no inspection. Will the headers cause the OBD test to fail?

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Hard question. OBD will only fail if you haven't dealt with the CEL, all monitors have to show ready. So, it is likely that they can get the OBD to pass with the SAC tool. Technically, changing or altering the headers with non OEM parts is a Federal crime (this is true in all States) so some shops don't want to get too far into that area. People may change their headers and hope they can find friendly smog stations. Otherwise, they will be working with stock headers.

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Headers, blankets and S-line exhaust (no muffler) Passes in AZ no problem, they just plug into the OBD port. Depends on the state....

11. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    #11 bellwilliam, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    op, you are in Cali as I am.

F430 is post 2000, so it needs just a OBD plug in. Header will sometime cause a cel (obviously a no no), in my last F430, may be once every 1,000 miles, then I reset it. yes I did have O2 extenders. you do have to make sure obd monitor ready (not as easy as it sounds, took a stupid driving cycle), then you need to find a "friendly" smog station. Like I said earlier, many will let it slide if it isn't obvious (a chrome plated header and an aftermarket cone air filter is obvious) as long it passes plug in test.

12. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Hi, I’m not in California, I live in Georgia. We still do have emission test here. I have factory manifolds with Tubi gtc exhaust and passed emissions. It seem inevitable I will have to replace the manifolds with headers and am worried about failing smog and having to find some used manifolds, go through the expense of swapping to pass smog, then swapping again.
    If I understand you correctly, when you got a cel, you reset it , drove the miles to Allow the test to be done but before the code could pop up again?
    How many miles to you have to drive, about 70 or so? I reset the old on my Lexus and the smog station told me to drive about 70 miles then come back and test.
    What are o2 extenders? Are those places to attach the o2 sensors on the headers? Are there. 2 or 4?
    Thanks.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For a 360 there is a specific sequence of actions that you need to follow during a drive cycle. It takes about 30 minutes and 20 miles or so. I'm not sure about a 430, but expect it to be the same. The OBD firmware on Ferrari 360 and 430 are very tough. If you replace your headers with anything that is not identical to factory, it will throw those two codes. For example, if you replace your stock 360 headers (with precat material in them) with Fabspeed headers that have no cat in them, you will get a code that is very hard to cure. If you have your cats recored with a single stage of cat material instead of two stages (and the post o2 sensor in between them), you will get a code. You can try o2 extenders, mini cats etc, but then the response is slower which also throws a code. Each time to try something, you have to clear codes and do the drive cycle again to see if it works.

In short, stick with stock parts and pass the smog check including the tail pipe emission. Or, reflash your ECUs to get rid of the error code. Or, use after market parts and prepare to deal with the headaches to follow.

14. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I'm not looking to modify my exhaust on my 2005 f430 for any reason except to put on headers to remedy the cracked factory manifolds. Not looking to change cats or anything, just want to take out the factory manifolds.
    It sounds like on the 360 the manifolds have a precat material before the cats. Is the f430 the same? My plan unless I misunderstand is to replace the factory maniolds and leave the cats in if that is possible.
    For those who have the headers, is throwing a code bad for the engine? If the code only comes up occasionally and takes a while to show up, I can deal with resetting and then driving some miles right before the smog check. I just don't want engine damage from the factory manifolds breaking up or codes indicating the car is not running correctly.

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    In my experience, the codes are active as soon as the drive cycle is done so the car never passes smog. Your mileage may vary.

16. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    your location is set to Pleasantan, CA !!
    yes, I get a cel, reset it, then I have to take it onto a drive cycle for OBD monitor readiness. obviously this only matters if you need it to smog. otherwise just reset it every thousand miles or so, it takes only seconds to do.

btw, Ferrari drive cycle is very difficult compared to most American or Japanese cars, which takes 5-50 miles of normal driving. Ferrari one is very specific, including driving at 50MPH for a few minute, then slowing down to a stop without touching gear or brakes. almost impossible to do if you live in a city.

extenders are these. you need 2. very easy to change in a F430, takes 5 minutes tops....
    https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-11619-J-Style-Restrictor-Adjustable/dp/B00AQ7972O
    read the comments to see what it does exactly... They don't work magic, but does extend the miles in between I get a CEL.

17. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    Doh. I forgot I registered a long time ago and was absent until recently. Gonna fix that now.
    Thanks for the link. I need to find the Ferrari drive cycle.

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would find the process of resetting the codes often, at the very best, disconcerting. Basically you will be masking (clearing) real codes and clearing stored codes that are needed to diagnose other issues, if/when they arise. That is kind of like bleeding and deciding to just change the bandage when it gets blood soaked in hopes that nothing else bad will happen.

19. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I see your point, so would you just continue to use factory manifolds and risk damage to the engine?

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Short answer is yes. The 430 and 360 have different issues with headers so let's keep them clear: The 430 headers tend to crack and leak so they need repaired (welded). The 360 headers can have the precats break up but that is very rare. The number of recorded cases of actual engine damage from a precat disintegrating is very low; you have a lot bigger issues to worry about than that. Header changes also bring a lot of heat problems. If I went to headers I would: find the thread that custom heat shields and have some made. Forget extenders, they increase the lever arm length and often lead to cracking around the bung (several threads on here about that); I would either move the O2 sensors around the main cat OR I would go after making it work with the SAC tool. And I wouldn't go after any of that until it broke OR I decided to go all out lightening and increasing performance like Trev did on his car.

21. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I thought the f430 also had precats?
    What is the SAC tool?

22. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The 430 does but I am not aware of any issues with them breaking up.

SAC tool is Trev's Swiss Army Knife tool. There is a thread, look for army knife, should be near the top. Long but a good read.

23. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    I am not sure how it is masking it. every time you read the code, it tells you what the error code is.
    in fact, it makes you check for codes every once in a while, that's not a bad thing.

24. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There are a lot of ways that goes badly. Many will adopt clearing as a standard process and after a while quit looking at the codes; they will think 'I got a code so I reset it'. Unless you are using an SD or the like you can't see codes that are preliminary, stored but not lighting the CEL yet. AND are you reading codes from both ECUs? I bet most are not even aware that you have to connect to read them separately. Those are just a few of the ways it can go wrong.

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    In Texas after 25 yrs old only safety check... does Cali have same provision???