458 - Bye 458 hello 600Lt | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Bye 458 hello 600Lt

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by chinaleeexports, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I will just add that you will indeed enjoy the car as much as a Ferrari and that is because you are comparing two entirely different types of cars.

1. The Longtail (LT) is really more track-focused...basically all McLarens really are.
    2. You are buying a 2016 McLaren which is definitely more reliable than their earlier models - MP4-12C and 650S. However, they already started to improve from 2014 Mp4-12cs onwards.
    3. Make sure you got an extended warranty. All exotics, and in PARTICULAR, all McLarens need one. I paid ~$5k for 1 year and it paid out close to $40k worth of repairs. Of course, stalk not include since I broke it myself :)
    4. Your straight line speed is insane and for the most part, all McLarens are based upon the same twin-turbo 8 cylinder 3.8 liter engine. You'll easily getting sub-3.0 sec 0-60 in a straight line and when the turbos kick in, its like a sudden kick in the butt.
    5. The sound, even with the upgrade sports exhaust is really nothing to talk about, but honestly, it isn't all that bad.
    6. You will be getting LOTS of picture taking. If you haven't already with all your prior Fcars, you will most definitely get as much if not more people sneaking a quick peak.
    7. For some reason the valets (valet parking) all seem to forget to push the Parking Brake to release it before switching to 'D' and then moving forward. If I remember correctly, the car still can move, but it will eat the p-Brake alive over time. Fortunately not too expensive to replace from what I heard - fortunately I never had to replace mine.

8. The Ferrari is much easier to get in and out of. You can thank ridiculously wide door sills. You will look silly going in and out.
    9. It's true, the dihedral doors do save space when parking in a garage, but not too much more. They open more upwards as opposed to up and out like a gullwing door or just outwards like a regular door.
    10. The Ferrari is definitely more drivable. I actually found I don't need a lift! I am actually not scared to drive my car!! This makes driving up and about so much easier. The McLaren definitely needs a lift and you'll find you need it.
    11. The carbon fiber looks way cooler in the Ferrari than in McLaren. McLaren has a much more spartan look than Ferrari, but that is really cool in it by itself.
    12. Ferrari has the nicer looking and sounding engine :)
    13. Unfortunately McLarens (LTs not an exception) all seem to depreciate badly. If you drive yours for 1 year be prepared for maybe another 25k in depreciation. I took easily a $25k+ hit after 7months of ownership and adding only 3k more miles on my mp4-12c. The reason is simply reliability.
    14. The Proactive Chassis Control (PCC) in McLaren is very good and makes the car suitable for daily driving. Just don't go around lowering the suspension any more than you need.

Above all DRIVE you McLaren depreciation notwithstanding. Just enjoy it for what its worth! Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche all are excellent cars.

2. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I am really surprised, that someone will give up probably the most reliable supercar today for a McLaren, keeping in mind the reputation, that this brand has now. They are making the most unreliable cars in the whole history of the automotive industry and their customer service is really terrible. However, if that is what you wanted, than this can't be a mistake at all :) Congrats on your new car.

xfrgtr likes this.
  3. graphicdisorder

graphicdisorder Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Johnson City, TN
    Ferrari isn't without its issues. I had issues with my 458 and 488. Ferrari was terrible to me on my 488 problems. They had the car for 3 months of my 9-10 months of ownership fixing problems. Customer service was a joke. My 488 had 2 major brake problems and the car caught on fire in my garage in the middle of the night.

My 570s was more reliable by far. Not perfect by any means, but way more reliable. Do I believe all 488's are unreliable, no I don't, but I lost a ton of confidence in the brand.

The talking point on Mclaren's.....depreciation. That one ill agree with all the way, its a cliff those things fall off of. I just traded my 570s for a 2019 GT3RS, lost my ass. But I knew that going in.

4. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    When it comes to super cars I have no problem being owner #2 after the first guy loved her, added clear bar, tinted the windows, and make her all pretty for me. Also they preserved the miles, and I drive the crap out of it because I don’t care about miles on a depreciating asset it’s a car. Be safe and enjoy driving.

5. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    488 is a different animal, compared to the 458 in terms of reliability. And as for McLaren - all have issues and problems and it is 100% guaranteed, that every car will have some bugs at some point. the 720 being the worst in that area. And that is exactly why they are depreciating so fast. :)

6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I was unaware you can see the engine in most modern McLaren without special tools that usually only the service department has? But, there is a fine mesh covering you can sort of see the engine through at the right angles in the 600lt? From what I have seen, McLaren doesn't want you to see the engine in their cars which is something Ferrari does quite well, especially in the 458 and 812, it's nice to marvel at a leading motivating reason for the acquisition.

LightGuy likes this.
  7. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    {
    My guy a Ferrari would service my 458 take it at 10am and out by 3pm. He said he would never promise a 488 he would keep it over night. In fairness the 458 has been going since 2010 simple technology, and tech have lots of experience. The 720 will be a much better car with the 750 .....the 650’s were a mess a times, and the 685LT with only a 1000 made defect rates cleaned up. Also they didn’t rush production for speed to market all 1000 were sold before the first one was built. Time will tell
    Clear view on 675

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gh21631, Manda racing and tekaefixe like this.
  8. CrapsLuckyDice

CrapsLuckyDice Karting

Apr 28, 2019
    NJ, USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Stormtrooper above beat me to it. In addition to 675lt, 650s and mp4-12c all had a clear glass bay where you could see the engine.

The 720s has mesh but you can still see the engine. Plus, I believe you can see it better at night since you can have accent lighting around the engine bay.

It is only the Sports Series (570s, 570gt, and 600lt) where you cannot see the engine bay. I'm unsure about their hypercars the Senna or the SpeedTail.

9. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thanks for that view of the McLaren engine, I was having trouble locating anything like that. Question, are you able to open the engine bonnet as well or only look through the cover?

10. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Ah, that explains, I have been in the 570s and 570gt and was surprised you could not see the engine at all, it was one of those McLaren test drive weekend promotions, I thought they would be better served if they brought their top tier cars to that event, in more ways the one, seeing the engine is important to some folks.

11. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    Of course I can there’s a key that unlocks each side of the bay. There’s no push mechanism as a part of weight reduction ........

JTSE30 likes this.
  12. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Good luck, great looking car.

Don’t forget the extended warranty - it’s British after all, we used to build cars with an oil leak as standard, and nothings really changed.

I’m messing, looks great, enjoy.

chinaleeexports and Ash Patel like this.
  13. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Congrats. I have a 600LT in my garage too and it’s an amazing car!

I’m still a Ferrari loyalist, but each brand has its due.

IloveGT and chinaleeexports like this.
  14. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Congratulations on the 675, I picked up a LT spider in February. It’s the most amazing car I’ve ever driven, I cannot conceive of a more perfect sports car and I don’t say that lightly.

15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    yeah, sure. Just be glad you don't own a FERRARI FF or Lusso. This is just an example of the possibilities. (something about throwing stones comes to mind ;) )
    https://ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/lusso-nightmare.604195/

Boomhauer and Gh21631 like this.
  16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #41 rumen1, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    The topic is for the 458 and I was also referring to the 458 :) I have about 10 frends with Mclarens (mainly 720s, but also 675, MP4 and 650) and ALL of them have serious problems with their cars. Also if you search youtube you will find many, many videos of Mclaren owners complaining about the reliability of their cars. Not sure what "throwing stones" means though...

All in all - the 458 is so good exactly because it doesn't spoil your ownership experiense with problems (except for the gearbox of course). But if you are going to your garage praying that your car will start this time, then this will definately spoil your ownership experiense, no matter how good the car behaves when it drives.... That's all that I was trying to say. There is a reason for the fast depreciation of the Mclarens after all...

MacDemarco likes this.
  17. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    My 458 was bullet proof, and I will get another F car just not sure which one. I have 5 friends with zero issues in their 675’s and 720’s now the 650 a different story. Can you share any videos of 675LT problems so I can no what to look for as I didn’t find any? My car is under warranty so time will tell.

18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Actually most of the Youtube videos are for 720 and also the Mclaren customer service. I can't find them all of course, there were also videos for other models, but I have just saw them in the past, I can't remember right now which they were exactly. But here are several:

19. Stormtrooper787

Stormtrooper787 Karting

Dec 15, 2017
    #44 Stormtrooper787, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    I only care about the 675LT which I did tons of research thought I missed something. They have been building road cars since 2012 small window, but the cars are blowing the doors off all brands. Ferrari has cache :) which is indeed special.

20. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    They all have issues. Just enjoy them for what they are over priced, grown up real versions of matched box cars we dreamed of as kids. I like my 458 and I like my 720S. They’re toys for weekend enjoyment, nothing more, nothing less.
    To OP, great looking car, enjoy it in good health!

Andynyc, Thecadster, Gh21631 and 5 others like this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes, exactly. A realistic expectation for grown up toys. Well said.

22. TheRossatron

TheRossatron Karting

Jul 23, 2005
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I don't post much here but this is probably the stupidest thing I have ever read on a forum, possibly the internet.... "the most unreliable cars in the whole history of the automotive industry"

dustman, BJK, 1mean3 and 5 others like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    With the exponential advancement in car technology in the last 15 years, cars have never been as reliable as they are presently. We should hold super cars to a similar standard and not excuse or tolerate easily avoidable flaws or reliability issues.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I agree but no matter what I spend there are small things that you scratch your head about. My Pista is no different.

sampelligrino likes this.
  25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have taken delivery of a Huracan and 2 Performantes in the last 2 years without a single issue, large or small. Totally flawless and other owners in my social circle have had the same experience.