The best race? | FerrariChat

The best race?

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by irvinest, Jul 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. irvinest

irvinest Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    UK
    Spend 7 minutes and enjoy what I think is the best piece of racing I have ever witnessed. 10 years ago and I can still hear the crowds and the roar, what a fantastic weekend in Spain.

Enjoy and if you think there is something better then please post as I love great Motorsport.

kandi likes this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    can't view the video.

3. #3 lorenzobandini, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Naaa-naa-naaahhh nah naaahh naaaahhhh. 'Worked for me. :p
    Actually a shame as, tho' I'm not a bike fan, it is a good one. I'd rather go with '69 Le Mans' lead swapping last hour. ;)

Excerpt from Wiki:
    "Finish and post-race
    Going into the final hour after their final pit-stops, both teams put their best drivers in the cars. Ickx and Herrmann were now on the same lap, barely 10 seconds apart. The Porsche 908 had fading brakes and an engine now 400rpm down on power and the Ford GT40 suffered from exhaust problems, made for a very even contest.[5] In a dramatic finish, Ickx and Herrmann repeatedly overtook each other. Ickx knew if he led onto the Mulsanne straight, Herrmann would pass, but he could slipstream past him back again before the Mulsanne corner and then hold a lead for the rest of a lap.[29] But by strange timing the cars crossed the line with less than a minute to go and had to go around one more time. The Ford had only ever done 23 laps on a tank of fuel, but now needed an extra lap.[12] So on the last lap, Ickx let Herrmann pass him early on the Mulsanne Straight, faking a lack of power from fuel starvation. Ickx used the slipstream of Herrmann to pass him again just before the end of the 5 km straight. Ickx then managed to hold on and beat Herrmann by a few seconds, and a distance of about 120 metres (390 feet).[41] Ickx and Oliver won with the GT40 chassis #1075 (nicknamed the ‘Old Lady’[11]), the same car that had won the previous year.[2][3] This was only the second time the same car had won two years in a row; a Bentley Speed Six had done it in 1929 and 1930. Ickx dedicated the team's victory to Lucien Bianchi, who had been killed earlier in the year, and had helped the Wyer team win the Le Mans the previous year."

https://jalopnik.com/what-the-most-incredible-le-mans-moment-on-video-517640748

https://us.motorsport.com/lemans/video/24-hours-of-le-mans-1969-110206/331412/

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/24-hour-race-le-mans-aka-british-ford-gt40-wins-le

william likes this.
  4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    These final three laps are the best road racing laps-ever!

LVP488, 375+, 88porsche944 and 3 others like this.
  5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Guy Smith V. Lucas Luhr. Road America, 2012. At the IMSA banquet, they played the footage again, and the place just erupted.

sjd

6. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
  7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Hands down.

In today's F1 the screen would have been full of "under review" alerts from pearl-clutching stewards.....:rolleyes:

GuyIncognito likes this.
  9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Barton,

I should know about Sebring 1999, as they are my cars! But honestly what was so special? (Other than my car won!)

Jack-the-lad and GuyIncognito like this.
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Your car?

Enlighten us please.

The 1999 12 Hours of Sebring was a land mark race for many reasons. Not the least of which was
    the closest (non-staged) finish in the race's vaunted history, less than 9 seconds in the end between
    Tom Kristensen and James Weaver.

The event itself kickstarted the ALMS into the conscience of the American racing public. Having grown
    up in Sebring and seeing my first 12 Hours in 1968, it was easily the largest crowd I had ever personally
    witnessed there with fans lined up ten deep along the fences witnessing the drama filled Kristensen/Weaver
    battle right to the end.

And, perhaps, not the least of which, the final stint in the night introduced Tom Kristensen to the American
    racing public. Having already won in his first appearance at Le Mans in 1997, Tom won in his first appearance
    at Sebring with Lehto and Muller and not surprisingly he went on to re-write the record books at Le Mans and
    Sebring.

Also, BMW Motorsport and Beck's Beer had the good sense to hire me for the race week.

BHW

11. Yes. Please do. :)

(BHW - Don't fergit J.J.'s, Jorg's, EFR's, and Butch's contributions. ;) One of the years I didn't attend, also, dang it! :( Was it that good a race? Or was the BMW just coasting to the finish and allowing the Dyson to close the gap? I see in practice (qualifying?), the Bimmer was nearly 3 secs. faster than the R&S..... :confused:)
    Far left side of the results: https://web.archive.org/web/20080919235256/http://wsrp.ic.cz/alms1999.html

12. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    Was one of the principal designers of that car while I was at Williams.

So "my" car.:p

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, cool man!

Well, my images so I consider them my cars too!

I did an interview with Tom K. at Sebring in 2013 which is on Anamera and there was a bit
    of a discussion about the LMR V12. He said it was a great car but the rear was heavy, as he
    said, "It was really, really heavy. Sometimes I describe it a little bit like, it was a fantastic car and
    engine, it was a bit like you had a gorilla on your back, not a monkey, into the corners.
    "

Interesting way of putting it I guess...

http://www.finecars.cc/en/editorial/article/news/tom-kristensen-all-time-winner-at-the-12h-of-sebring-24h-of-le-mans/index.html?no_cache=1&tx_ttnews[backPid]=226&cHash=9e85dc5118

BHW

14. Rightly so. Coo-ell. :)
    Too bad aboot the timing ('R8's arrival). :oops:

15. Sorta' akin to Bob's (Tullius) "too-tall" (CG) 12s in the XJR-5, 7, and 9s.