Official Daytona Pics | Page 63 | FerrariChat

Official Daytona Pics

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Iceman.1, Sep 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Which of these can be verified wearing its/their Scaglietti applied original body prep & paint at the time these photos were taken ?

Any pictures of examples with non-original paint are like mine, just interpretations of those painters/restorers and unless that painter/restorer started with original and thoroughly photo documented it prior and during stripping it, they don't really offer any substantial proof for authenticity.

OTOH, we can keep going around circles with this debate, but at some point, if not already, it'll become boring/nauseating. We all have our "opinions" or "views" and most of us will not likely change them without compelling evidence which enough of may never be forthcoming. :(

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Why not simply ask Leonardo Fioravanti what the body design details were for the 365 GTB/4 look that he created. That would be the most 'pure' answer for the design concept...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

colombo2cam, 375+ and miurasv like this.
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sounds like a great idea.

Maybe next time I run into him, I’ll just sat him down over dinner and quiz him about this along with all other debatable details, so we can put them all to bed, for once and for all.
    :)

of2worlds likes this.
  4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      81.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sensational Daytona in superrare RAME Met. color. Absolutely love it.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    14169 does not have its original front section.
    i believe it was damaged, then converted to plexi nose then converted back to pop ups circa 2004.
    i was considering buying it around that time and thats the info i was given.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes that sounds correct from what I recall to. Also interesting that they retained the original silver nose paint 'look' from that period to when 14169 was restored! Something that is often lost on restored Daytona models in that build period.
    Curiously that restored earlier Harrah plexi 365 GTB/4 13361 sold for 1.04mil while his later Daytona 14169 sold for 687k with the same RM Sotheby's auctions. First or last of a series both seem to command a price premium if there is a good story attached to the car...

8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    colombo2cam and 375+ like this.
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ what yrs did they sell?

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Best I can do is a pic of 17073, it was only had 80 miles on the clock when it was sold.
    This is not my pic and I am not sure if it was from the auction, anyone have a good front view photo from the auction? Chuck?

colombo2cam likes this.
  11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    2015 for 13361 and 2017 for 14169 and both in August...

375+ likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Nothing handy from the auction but Marcel posted some nice views of the Spyder when it was in Germany. See post #1528 here.
    That Daytona Spyder had a lot of custom features. Also a number of the later cars catered to the specific requests of clients as these Spyders were a tough sell for the factory so they were very accommodating back then.

375+ likes this.
  13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    This comment is what I received regarding the curl and how it is viewed.
    From a Ferrari judge >

"Oldtimers at the factory told me the top fender crease never curled, was always straight and always ended well before the front lip. I was at Juniors one day when he was doing the final wet sanding of a red Daytona, which he had incorporated the curl on, and he said he just liked it that way and did every Daytona that way unless the owner specified otherwise. When I was judging I would make a 1/2 point deduction for it, a full point for sharp edges on the fenders and blood trough."

So if you simply enjoy the look of the curl; continue on. However if your goal is to score the most points possible in judging then forego the curl and sharp edges.
    The picture in #1546 here provided by @Wheels1 seems to be a good representation of the body style they were supplying to Ferrari.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ of2worlds, i think you misinterpreted the judges comments.
    i read it as...
    1/2 pt deduction for curl
    1 pt deduction for sharp edges on fender and blood trough.
    some painters were famous for overly sharp edges.

15. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, that’s great news !
    I just wish I had access to this kind of wisdom years ago, instead of wasting so much time trying to find hard evidence by photo-documenting, studying and researching original, unrestored vintage cars, including Daytonas.

Does your contact by chance have a list of all, including other often debated small details on Daytonas and/or other Ferrari models along with all applicable deductions for their misinterpretations ? If yes, any chance I could get a copy of it ?

While it potentially could make my years of research and tens of thousands of photos I taken over the decades mostly useless, OTOH having an extensive and well established list of concours correct details and applicable deductions would definitely make my life easier and simpler.

Given likelihood of his/her approach and list proving me wrong on other details also, it would allow me to erase all the useless documentation or photos I’ve gathered over the past 3-4 decades while restoring numerous vintage cars, not to mention allowing me to abandon any such futile efforts in the future.

Also, if such list could be made available promptly, it would be very helpful in my upcoming judging assignments later this week and eventually, I could try using it to amend all scoresheets I’ve filled over the years (I do have copies of every sheet, including those of my fellow team judges, from every event I’ve ever judged in), assuming of course the event organizers and chief judges would allow me to submit any amendments.
    Thankless task, but to make sure every car is scored correctly, that’s the least I can offer.

And now we can resume our regularly scheduled program of this thread, pictures, although I’m likely to refrain as mine may cause further confusion and controversy to viewers.

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Sorry CH

I have to disagree with what the judge told you. [ not a dig at you, but the judge that said this ]

I have a high res photo of the one I posted, and it is clear, that on the production line, the line on top of the wing/ fender bends slightly inwards towards the lights about an inch.

Last year I was chief Judge, in the pre 1974 V12 cars which included the Daytona class at the Ferrari Owners Club GB, we now have the same rules as they have in America, and I can tell you that, you would not lose any marks for such a curve, if fact I would expect to see it.

I can't see how anyone can dispute a photo of the cars on a production line showing this.

of2worlds likes this.
  17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Hard to dispute historic photographs. Thanks for the clarity on the curve!

375+ likes this.
  18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    PM replied.

of2worlds likes this.
  19. isaydingdong

isaydingdong Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2014
    ny
    Full Name:
    Sy Sperling
    I just saw Niki Lauda's original Daytona at Rock's auto restoration here in Toronto. The car is fully restored to its original silver on black

of2worlds likes this.
  20. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Yes i do, it was at Gooding in Monterey in 2006!? I think ....will have to check..i participated in the SCM insider seminar, so got in early in the tent where 17073 was, and spent a lot of time taking close up detailed photos and sat inside taking interior photos and studying this Daytona for a long time will dig out the pics
    When Rand built/ restored my car he said this is one of the things he pined over was the sharpness of the fender creases and the crease down the front fenders toward the head lites ,the one that curves towards the center of the car is the way Juniors House of Color like to do them i was told, my car had new fenders from Ferrari and the crease goes straight down toward the turn signal then just fades away before getting there , 17073 had the same fade wade away line,Rand took measurements for my car when building off a yellow Daytona Spyder in LA with 900 miles and all untouched original he said that car had the fade away creases on front fenders also..will dig up photo and post,Chuck

375+ and of2worlds like this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Chuck that would be super! Thank you for sharing your observations!!!

22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Green is not a common color for the Daytona Spyder but this example looks super!

Wonderful stance to. Some of the restored cars look like they were prepared for off-roading duty...

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    375+ likes this.
  24. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    I Am not a green guy but it looks striking on this Daytona ,is that at Cavallino?