How many Pista? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How many Pista?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by acw, Apr 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    They did call me for the SF90 but I passed. I always wanted the Pista per my many posts and this one just worked out for me.

Caeruleus11 and boobernackle like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Nice car Gh and pleased to see you managed to get yourself into one! Love the price too! You're still 100k better off than me and, at the time its taken to get my ppf job done you will be in yours before me. Mine was ready for next Tue but am awaiting the screen protector film which has been delayed which may see it go into the following week now.

Anyway enjoy that Pista Gh! You didn't play the F game and, any overs on MSRP appear relatively cost effective give or take a few discrepancies you may have personally chose had you custom ordered. Love the CF wheels too!

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    My experience with my recent Pista allocation may be food for thought, or at least germane to this discussion. Shortly after I ordered my 2019 488, I told my dealer that I would be interested in a Pista if one became available for order. Because I had ordered 4 previous cars from this dealer, and because I got an allocation for a Speciale, it seemed like a logical request. BOTH my salesman of many years and the GM of many years were apologetic but adamant that there was ZERO possibility of a Pista for me; I was simply too late to the game. (I took a slight detour for several years with the products of a little company called McLaren). I took this at face value, and I still do. I cannot imagine why my dealer would prevaricate on availability. I mentioned it again several weeks later and was met with the same, if not more forceful, response. You can imagine, then, how surprised I was to get the call inviting me to spec a Pista a few months later.

My point is that I suspect my dealer had no idea that they would be getting another late allocation...perhaps it has been Ferrari's strategy to continue to release allocations, but it doesn't seem my dealer was in on that strategy. I am therefore skeptical regarding the statement that Ferrari will build as many as they will sell. They knew I was raring to go and was qualified based on my prior purchases, but I was told "no" in very certain terms. I don't believe, at least in the United States, that everyone who wants a Pista is getting a Pista, and I most certainly do not believe that the dealer network has multiple open allocations up for the taking.My supposition is that Ferrari decided they could squeeze a few more in before December, and thus the additional build slots.

I suppose the other possibility is that my dealer did not get an extra allocation at all; maybe a customer backed out and I got the nod to fill the sudden vacancy. I'm just happy that I got to order a car. I honestly believe that the Pista is the most beautiful V8 car Ferrari has ever built, including the F8. The scarcity, or lack thereof, isn't really a factor in that opinion :)

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Congrats :)

Gh21631 likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I tried and tried with my dealer but they simply did not have an allocation for me. I have a pretty good relationship with them so I dont believe they were screwing with me. Each dealer had a fixed number of allocations based on their status and each dealer decided who would get one and how. The owners of my local dealer mandated a Lusso purchase except for a couple people that are their very best customers. Orders may have freed up as people canceled and/or if another allocation popped up but I dont think Ferrari was holding back with the dealers and surprising them with allocations. I also dont believe the dealers have any reason to lie, they make money by selling cars and they did have more buyers than supply that is a fact.

Shadowfax and FordGTDriver like this.
  6. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Pretty sure it was someone who backed out. My dealer said they were expecting 5 more cars and told recently no more allocations were coming. He had a customer who had already spec’d a car and they were told they would not be getting it. Plenty of people were still on the short list here who are not getting one.

FordGTDriver likes this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

FoW?

8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yikes...that’s awful. I sure hope they weren’t customers that bit off on the Lusso gambit.

9. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Good call, you were patient and got what you wanted in the end, without having to lose $75K-$100K on a Lusso BS. SF90 is just too ugly.

Congrats!

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    FCNJ but there was nothing they could do. The edict came from Maranello at the last minute.

11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    So what are the numbers?

Pista total?
    Pilota total?

12. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Which part of this is not clear !

I doubt even Ferrari know since production is continuing

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I watched a video today with Nico Rosberg tracking the Pista and he claims roughly 1300 total. Perhaps he has some inside info from Ferrari? The number seems light to me.

14. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    Seems 2500 pista + pilota and 800 pista spider

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    That sounds familiar...;)

16. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    No way it is 1300. They've already delivered 1267 in 2019 first half according to the Q2 results (see post #60). More like 2500+ likely and then more spiders next year too.

17. Clay512TR

Clay512TR Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    Sammamish, WA
    Full Name:
    Clayton Lee Stephens
    Do you have this data for 458 and Speciales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It can happen for a variety of reasons. It could be someone who backed out, but it could also be because the dealership changed status, or another dealer lost an allocation. This sometimes happen if either they have VS allocations they can't move, or they have allocations, but their status with Ferrari changes.
    There's also the possibility that your dealer had an opportunity to ask a Ferrari rep if there were any more allocations to be had, and for some reason or other, one or more allocations were moved to the dealer in question. This happens with Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren etc. I know someone who got a GT3RS within less than a 24 hour notice this way despite being told categorically no.

johnr265 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Seriously? Dang- that sucks for the potential owner. So we had Julian who is a sales manager at a German Ferrari dealership who says they have allocations and deliveries scheduled till next summer. There are people who have stated that they expect production to end in December of 2019. I wonder if some of Julians allocations are going to get canceled.

I guess we wont know the true answer to the number of Pistas and when production will end till it actually ends.

I feel bad for the owner who specced and is not getting one.......

johnr265 likes this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I reckon that sounds about right and I think similar to Speciale. They made around 1,200 CS so Pista must be a few degrees more than that car.

21. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I saw your post but someone posted 477 for MY 2019. I dont see anything documented for 2500 but maybe I missed that. I dont disagree that 1300 seems light though.

22. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    I think that MY2019 number was US specific, and came from a filing Ferrari made to the US authorities about estimated deliveries. In the analyst call earlier this month, the CEO said in response to a question about Pista deliveries:

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2019/08/02/ferrari-nv-race-q2-2019-earnings-call-transcript.aspx

So it looks like the some posts here about seeing few US Pistas out there may be explained by above. Production is skewed to those regions affected by upcoming emissions regulations in 2020.

The 2500+ figure is just my estimate based on the comments in the call about Pista ramp up going on etc suggesting that they would deliver at least the same in 2019 second half (including a few spiders) as H1. which was 1267. It would be not surprising if they continued into 2020 and produced more coupes even though by then you would imagine most of the production would have switched to Pista Spider.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    another factor to consider- members are stating that their f8 cars are confirmed to be delivered Q1 which means production would have to start in 2019. I think we can all agree that f8 production will far outpace Pista production so November and December - they are going to be cranking out F8s left and right and I would assume Pista would trickle down significantly as they have to make room for F8, Portifino, 812 etc.

Interesting times ahead.

24. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    ...and SUV's :D

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Speaking of which- there are reports that the Purosangue is going to be shown in September......interesting times ahead.....

IPO1 likes this.