Thinking about selling my 488GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking about selling my 488GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Zinger, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray

What I meant about the color combo is that with Rosso Corsa/beige or cuoio it will be an easy sell and that combo is classic Ferrari and having that it can command a higher price on resale.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    IMO the strong depreciation on the 488 has more to say about the weakness of this particular model as opposed to Ferrari heading towards a new model of industry-normal depreciation. Time will tell.

I see the 488 going down as unloved given the design miscues and weak visceral experience it imparts relative to F history.

09Scuderia, Adamas and xfrgtr like this.
  3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Yeah must be the 488 cause the F12 and California do so well with resale. :rolleyes:

4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    488 depreciating like rocks. Wait until the F8 is released. At that time, will be a good opportunity to scope up a gently used 488.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    If you look at history the v12 always hits hard.
    But the 360 and 430 and 458 all were over to flat longer than 488.
    There was a great comparison post with data on this topic some time ago.
    The lil Maserati Cali shouldn’t ever be mentioned.

amenasce likes this.
  6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    The main reason for the accelerated depreciation of the 488 is twofold. One, the lifecycle of the car was cut by one year and secondly the increase in exotics introduced in the past few years.
    Wait about 2 years and compare it to the depreciation of the F8. With added number of cars to be produced along with the two reasons mentioned above the F8 will depreciate similar to today’s McLarens. It is the new normal.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Probably....AND it’s conceivable the 488 is a dud, relatively speaking of course.

RayJohns likes this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I think the 488 depreciation is mostly about the relative increase in competition. It use to be that Ferrari was the only game in town, now there are more cool cars than hours in the day. I’d have 2 or 3 more cars if I had more time. Tons of cool cars and even more on the horizon.

09Scuderia and Graz like this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Well Socal something is only worth something when someone actually wants to buy it and then part with their hard earned and macs aren't selling at all for any money so I'm told by very reliable industry sources (plural). At least the 488 is salable even if they are selling for doggy poo and, getting worse if ever you thought that possible. Maybe you guys are having better luck over in your neck of the woods in being able to unload your Macs and still walk away with your undies on? Hope so for your own sakes as it's very ugly over this way. I wouldn't refer it dramatic when even a new one can't sell for half list?

10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Macs depreciate- I’m not denying that but there are zero issues here with 720s on the secondary market. The market is healthy and cars are moving just fine- same as any other brands.

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Lol true to form dustman. The ultimate comedian.

Well ok I'll bite. Now as dud as you suggest 488 is, at least it still attracts some form of interest on the used market and has actual sales occurring. 488 also has more interest and sales going on that a used Perf which are being quoted as nearly as hard to shift as a Mac.

So all things considering, if you look at the nasty depreciation levels the 488 is still the better one to own out of the Perf and the Mac, so I guess in that sense the Perf is an even bigger dud (relatively speaking of course);) And, please don't waste your time drawing upon the advertised prices from over here as some form of validation that your Perf is the better bet, because like all these prices, you can ask but will you get? The answer to that question is clearly a very big N.O. sadly.

12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I don't hear the 720 is in nearly as bad shape as the 570 but its still in very bad shape considering new price paid and the interest is virtually nil - in much much worse shape than 488 which still draws interest at a price. But that's here. Glad to hear you guys aren't suffering our level of depreciation... Never like to hear some one doing their ass on their car but its becoming a much more common situation now sadly. This is why it always pays to drive the pants out of it because the difference in the hit is not much at all relatively speaking.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Yeah, I got a great number on my 18' 720 and I think I will actually come ahead on my 720 spider if I decide to sell it soon. Apparently the dealer I am working with already has a couple of buyers interested.

MANDALAY and SoCal to az like this.
  14. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Got rid of my 488 GTB, Ordered it per my spec high msrp car. Loved that car but wanted to experience other F cars so traded my 458 and 488 in on a Speciale and my 812.

Thecadster, IloveGT and dustman like this.
  15. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree 100%. Competition eventually levels out the playing field. Especially when the other Brands treat their customers just a little bit better than Ferrari. Hell, Lexus or Toyota do that already ;)

Thecadster likes this.
  16. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Very very nice. Can't wait to see the pics! Stay NA.

17. flifer

flifer Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I find it hilarious how most people on this forum not only think that the 488 an abomination, but how future models are destined to be so much better.

Have you guys read anything about the F8 tributo with it's particle filter exhaust note sounding worse than a 488? What about when Ferrari starts making 6 cylinder cars... Don't even get me started about electric cars! You think electric or 6 cylinder cars are going to have more soul than v8 ICE cars with turbo's?

Whether you like it or not, we live in a changing world and cars are changing. You don't have to agree with it, you can complain about it, but at the very least, get your heads out of the sand people.

nmcclure and Zinger like this.
  18. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I agree with Shadowfax about the Mac. Here's why I passed on one. I think they are having some major issues right now. My opinion is they are making too many models too fast. Essentially, they are the major contributor to their growing pains. Nearest dealer to me is 420 miles away and I live 100 miles out of Vegas. No way I would get one and deal with getting this car to the dealer and picking it up God knows how many times. 720 S has a host of problems, wonky electronics, cracking glass/windshields just to name a few. Only way I would consider getting one would be a killer deal and live within very close proximity to a dealer. So if you have one and live in LA for example you are probably okay. Cross country or extended road trip in a Mac? Big gamble in my opinion. Especially when you consider their small and limited dealer network.

19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Major issues? You mean like their almost 3 year old model the 720, still has better performance than Ferrari’s track version Pista? You mean those types of issues?

Or too many models like the 5 models that Ferrari is introducing in 2019 alone?

Put down the kool aid- Mac certainly has their problems and could do better but for a 10 year old company they are performing exceptionally well.

IPO1, IloveGT and sampelligrino like this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    No clue why so many discussions around here have to devolve into Ferrari vs Mac or 458 vs 488 (or NA v Turbo) in an attacking way, not the best look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IloveGT and SoCal to az like this.
  21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Because people act as if their favorite brand of car is the greatest and can do nothing wrong and send them a check in the mail
    Monthly.

When the reality is all these companies will bury you to make a buck.

I don’t get the blind loyalty either.

IPO1, boobernackle and sampelligrino like this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

If you want to off load her do it.

Yes I hear the argument we are only a fraction of total sales, but Ferrari still sells , lower yes but more due to the economy. Have a Labo or Mac for sale , GOOD LUCK here. It will make a grown man cry.

If your market is better well , good luck and well done for the mac to hold

Ash Patel and Shadowfax like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #48 Shadowfax, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Yeah where cars are concerned we sure drew the short straw. We pay double or a bit more and when we sell we lose double and a bit more. Good luck to the Americans! They don't know how good they have it. I guess if you could buy a mac for the money they can you could always just run it down to the local dump when you've had enough of it....or get the tow truck to drop it off there. And they'd still be in front over us.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Cars yes but other things not so great

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #50 Shadowfax, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Sorry missed this lol.

Although expected, this is possibly THE most ridiculous assertion coming from you to date dustman. The 488 is far from unloved and stands as being one of THE most popular and succesful models coming out of Maranello considering sales achieved alone. The reason behind the current high depreciation levels is obvious to most - is due to those high sales levels and the increasef availability of used examples now along with weak market conditions. Then there is the factor where many alternatives have become available between the period it was released. It has nothing at all to do with the car being viscerally inadequate or unloved - complete fantasy - and the fact it still sells easier than the competitors alternatives is proof positive of that. The other remaining factor also contributing to the decline in used values had come from Ferrari themselves by releasing the F8 prematurely along with talk of many new models.

Anyway please feel free to continue chipping away at that rock.

ScottS and MANDALAY like this.