Corvette C8 over used 458??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Neither Chevrolet nor Ferrari are going to be at the top of quality ratings, but if your battery stops you dead in the tracks I bet Chevrolet will not charge you $1K for the replacement.

2. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Because the F8 is ugly, that's why I would have a hard time paying less for it.
    No value for money play, just performance and "sauce". The more we go towards forced induction, and soon electric, the more diluted the Ferrari special sauce becomes. Add a 40% production increase, incoming SUV, and ever increasing prices, one can consider the phrase "the best Ferrari is the next one" to end with the Pista.

Looking beyond the Pista, I really have no aspiration for anything Ferrari produces, not even the SF90, which I see as a big let down.

Randyslovis and xfrgtr like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Apart from the price (maybe a good support for one's ego...) I do not see much difference between the Pista and F8... But that's just just me, each to their own.
    (I know the Pista has the out-of-jail card of not having GPF, but could not care less about it).

stavura likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    That's your personal opinion; others love it!

I can imagine the exact same thing being said on a 1970s forum, when Ferrari launhced the V8s (the Dino was not a Ferrari, so they let that one pass). "Sacrilege" cried the devotees swaying their pitchforks, getting ready to storm Maranello. :p Ferrari, not only survived, but it continues to thrive to this day!!!

Someone else will be more than happy to take your slot. :)

stavura likes this.
  5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    To me, the F8 just looks plain ugly. Does a C8 look perfect, of course not, but then it doesn't cost $300K either.
    Will be putting my request in for a C8 Z06 with the 2LZ package when it's made available to us (at least a year away). Finally, a sports car within our dealership group that I am able to drive, the first time that's ever happened.

6. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    yes, I would take a Casio over PP, if I am only interested in the time keeping accuracy.

7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    :D

8. Contemp_Collector

May 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Trujillo
    The following is the Market equation:
    (F8 “The Game Changer”) + (Vette C8 “The Disruptor) = (458’s and 488’s prices falling like rocks starting mid-2020)

9. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    With the price of a 488 i can by a few c8 in diffrent colors.cant wait for all the aftermarket wide body kits to come out to set it apart from other c8 owners.oh ya ferrari just fell out of bed.

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One is a Ferrari, the other is a Chevrolet.

I'm sure it will be fast and drive well, but it will never feel like a Ferrari and as special

It's a fast generic sportscar and soon there will be litterally a hundred thousand on the roads.

99 percent of the people who say it can replace a 458 or 488 and who say it's better value or the same thing, has not even sat in the passenger seat of any Ferrari.

Apples and oranges.

KC360 FL, REALZEUS and xfrgtr like this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why do you think the F8 is a gamechanger compared to a 488? It's very much the same thing. A bit more power etc. but it's basically just a bit of an update of the 488.

12. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The C8 is more of a danger for the earlier V8's, 355, 360, and F430 the most, I reckon. I'd take the 458 over it, but also my 360 manual, because it's a manual.

I'm going to sell my 308 to get a C8, but I was planning to sell it anyway. What I thought I wanted was a 612 for touring, but to heck with that. C8 makes much more sense.

I restored a 456M already, and it was an expensive car to get right. Not in the mood for that anymore.

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is very much true. The 458 and 488 is in a completely different price bracket, and those who can afford a C8 cannot necessarily afford a 458 or 488 - that goes for most probably. Those who can afford a 458 or 488, can more than likely just add a C8 if they feel like it.

However, the lower end Ferraris such as the 355 and 360, will be in direct competition with the C8. Before there were not too many alternatives for first time mid budget buyers who wanted to get into a mid engined sportscar. There will definitely be those now who will think long and hard before purchasing a 360. So yes, I think you are spot omn. It won't change much in the 458 and 488 market, because it's not the same demographic. It will however most likely affect the 348, 355, 360 and F430 market quite a bit

14. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Don’t be silly - next question......

15. Contemp_Collector

May 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Daniel Trujillo
    F8 is a game changer, basically because of two factors:
    1.-F8 matches 488 Pista performance at 488 GTB (new) price.
    2.-Per Ferrari’s 2015 NYSE IPO commitment on substantially increase profits, F8 will be mass-produced (in Ferrari’s figures) to reach economies of scale; so, no more long-waiting lines for buyers.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The F8 will not deliver Pista performance at F8 prices. It weighs close to what a 488 weighs, and the suspension setup will be much softer and similar to the 488.
    The Pista has a lot of aero going on too the F8 does not.
    You can be pretty sure the average Pista is 75-100kg lighter than the average specced F8. Also, Ferrari will not "degrade" thr Pista by virtually making the F8 the same thing.

It is very limited as to how mass produced the F8 will be. They basically have two years to get them out, that's it. After that, the SF90 and Little Brother will be on the line. What will be used go significantly raise production numbers overall, will be the Porto coupè v6 and the Porto cabrio v6.

The F8 will see a short run and then the hybrids will come in and take over.

17. Mercedes

Mercedes Karting

May 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Orlando mercid
    Your compairing apples to caviar.though i rather eat apples all day long.and yes i will be purchasing my red apples.and to set it apart from the other apples i will add whip cream.i have the caviar sitting in my garage.and wait for that Nice occasion to drive it on that perfect day,but eating a apple a day will keep the doctor away.ferrari please take notes.

Sent from my SM-A600T1 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Defender 90 likes this.
  18. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The Pista is quoted 90 kg less than the 488 GTB with all the weight saving options (i.e. carbon wheels and so on) so the difference in the real world is probably less; and the F8 is quoted 40 kg less than the 488 which only leaves 50 kg between the F8 and Pista (the F8 has the same engine weight reduction as the Pista for instance, that's a part of the weight reduction that does not rely on optional equipment).
    I am convinced that the advantage for the Pista is its exclusivity, for the rest the F8 will be very similar - regarding aero, even the S-duct is carried over to the F8.
    All the claims that the Pista is more special are actually a testament that its selling point is exclusivity (and bragging rights for owners) - which is valid given its price, but for the rest I'm sure the F8 will be pretty close (it has also enhanced electronics compared to the Pista).

19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I buy Pista for rarity and to get the next “limited” car. And it looks cool.
    I buy a 458 again because it’s one of the greatest cars I ever owned. Makes you feel alive just cruising.
    I buy a new vette or Audi ttrs for track and mod both. Reliable track beaters vs above.
    I don’t buy 488 or f8 as it doesn’t fill any gap or desire for me.

20. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    svr458, Phil~, Mayrivercrab and 5 others like this.
  21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The F8 is quoted 35 kg less than the 488GTB 1435 vs 1470. That being said, the quoted weight of the Pista is not including CF wheels. Also, you have to remember that the quoted weight of the F8 is also as light as it can be. This means as soon as someone adds a set of the electric seats, they add about 60 kg on that alone. Yup, those things are heavy. Then there's a majority of F8 cars that will probably get the upgraded stereo, so that's another 4-5 kg. There will also be added more heavy fabrics to some F8 cars, such as higher quality leather etc. Most Pistas seem to specced about as light as they can get. No electric seats, basic stereo and so on. The F8 cars are usually specced up which add weight. So I stand by my statement that the average F8 will be significantly heavier than the average Pista. If all you add is the seats, the difference between a light Pista and an F8 wth only seats added, will be 116 kg.

Which electronics do you think will be more advanced on the F8 compared to the Pista? Yes the Pista came first, but the F8 is a scaled down version of the Pista and an upgraded version of the 488. To say it's beyond both the Pista and 488 is what I would call incorrect. It is placed between them, not after both. The Pista and F8 also share the same SSC and brakes. A tech I talked to, say they also share similar shift times, but the Pista has slightly more aggressive shifting.

22. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Regarding electronics, I got the information of the F8 being more advanced from Ferrari drivers, for what it's worth. And Ferrari officially tells the SSC on the F8 is version 6.1 while it's 6.0 on the Pista.
    The F8 being 40 kg lighter than the 488 is taken from Ferrari litterature (1435kg vs 1475kg), and I don't know why the quoted weight of the Pista would not take into account the carbon wheels (because its says "with optional light equipment", no mention of excluding any of these).
    And many people add the lifter to the Pista, while I specced the sports carbon seats on the F8 ;)

23. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’m keeping my 458 Spider and I’ll get a 2nd year C8 Spider for a DD.

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Many, including myself, consider the styling of the Pista to be superior to the F8.

Coincid and 458 Spider 0414 like this.
  25. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Many, not including myself, seem to consider the Pista superior on all accounts because it's more expensive and allegedly difficult to buy ;)

Mayrivercrab likes this.