Ferrrari vs. Philipp Plein | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrrari vs. Philipp Plein

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jyupitt, Jul 31, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It is PP's car, and he can do whatever he likes with it or have anyone he wants wash it. He can certainly post pics on instagram of bikini girls with beer standing next to the car.

However, he cannot use Cavallino imagery and Ferrari branding to commercially promote his shoes and other products. Which is what he's doing, and PP knows he is doing it.

Riccardo Del Bello likes this.
  2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #52 I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    I think these days, the definition of a “brand”is getting murky. It doesn’t have to be a product. An individual can be a brand now eg Kardashian or any number of social media stars. If posting a picture with an object is a brand alignment conflict, it’s foreseeable that at some point, we will all need to get permission from the manufacturer to just take a picture with our own property.
    Would Ferrari object to Trump, Lebron, Colin kaepernick, OJ, Lance Armstrong, or some other person of questionable repute, posting pictures with their vehicles to flaunt their success? If that happens, Ferrari may as well close their doors, as Lamborghini world gladly take these customers and their free publicity, off their hands.

On another note, I’m a really lousy guitarist. Does that mean Gibson guitars will prevent me from posting pics of me and my beloved Les Pauls at gigs where I get paid a negligible amount because I’m a poor representative of their products?

it’s a slippery slope. Which is why I think Ferrari can pound sand. At no point does Phillip say Ferrari endorses their brand. They don’t have to get permission from the manufacturer of the bikinis the girls are wearing, nor any other item in the vid. At most, Ferrari *may* be able to force them to blur the cavallino or any other trademark, but the cars are fair game, Personally, these bully tactics are why I will never buy a new Ferrari, or a product from an organization that behaves similarly.

The times are changing. Using parameters like “commercial use” is an outdated means to determine fair use.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I never heard if the donut till now! I want to find the photos of the girls though, any links?

4. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You'll probably stop buying a lot of products then. You must have missed the posting where Lamborghini/Porsche sent legal notices to photographers telling them to stop selling prints/calendars of customers cars who had given permission for the photographers to sell them.

You ever notice that when athletes do commercials with a product that their team jersey is never displayed in the ad? The sponsor has to get permission from the NBA/NFL/MLB, etc. and pay for the use of those logos.

It's pretty simple really; if you want to use something to directly/indirectly endorse a product or use it for commercial purposes then you have to pay, or not use it at all.

A different type of thing but along similar lines of the mini controversy during the 1992 summer olympics:

The sponsor conflict was predictable, of course — everyone knew that Nike sponsored Jordan and Barkley and that there were other sponsorship conflicts among Dream Team members. And everyone assumed, correctly, that the Dream Team would top the medal stand. According to the Baltimore Sun, USA Basketball and the USOC spent two years negotiating, trying to find a solution, but came up empty. Ultimately, Jordan came up with the solution — he, Barkley, and Magic Johnson (a Converse endorser) draped American flags over their shoulders, obscuring the Reebok logo. Because there were only three flags available for some reason, the other members unzipped their jackets far enough such that their lapels covered up the Reebok name. Pictured below, for further example, are John Stockton, Chris Mullen, and the aforementioned Barkley, doing just that.

5. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I think you’re confusing logos and trademarks with products themselves,
    Othewise, all celebs will be naked in promotional pics. I’d be surprised if every promo pic taken had permission from their pants manufacturer (if trademarks aren not visible), for example. So as I said, if the logos are blurred, the cars themselves are fair game, IMO.

As for the Lamborghini/Porsche calendar story, yup I missed it. What did a JUDGE determine? Anyone with a retainer can send out letters, doesn’t mean there’s a legal obligation to comply, its merely a threat/warning of possible litigation, in which the accuser could lose.

anunakki likes this.
  6. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    PP (and others) should simply change-out all of the logos for that of Deadmau5. I don't think Zimmerman would even charge them, after his own dealings with ferrari's thugs.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'm 360 Canuck and absent like this.
  7. ChadR

ChadR Karting

Jun 19, 2019
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Taj B
    I saw the news while scrolling through google, and remembered

"wait... I'm on a ferrari forum. Let's see what they have to say.";)

I can't support an issue with putting half naked women on my car in less or no clothes. That wouldn't be morally correct.

So, I'm with Plein on this one. :D:D:D

I also don't see the issue with painting your car green. The car is already pricey, so why not.

People with money pour champagne on their women every now and then. Live with it.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    You nailed it guys! Philip Plein looks to me like some tasteless ****ty overpriced stuff for posers and playboys. After wachting his videos on social media I would sue him for character assassination if I would be Ferrari!

9. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    This warp looks really gay.

10. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    The key issue (hence legal foundation of a potential lawsuit) is that both the shoes and his 812 own wrap are the same color. It does allow the general public to make reasonable assumptions that both brands may be in some kind of collaboration. Given Ferrari is the number one recognized brand in the world (https://brandfinance.com/news/ferrari--the-worlds-most-powerful-brand/), they are in the reasonable position to assume their brand assets are being exploited by the relatively unknown designer.

However, when it comes to the purrari situation, it is entirely different, because no obvious financial gain can be argued for the owner of the cat car.

kes7u likes this.
  11. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Exactly.

If Billy Joe Jim Bob created a website to promote his bath-tub gin and featured Coca Cola in the pictures, there would surely be a response from the folks in Atlanta.

kes7u likes this.
  12. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #62 JP365, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Probably not since rum and coke has been in the public domain for decades. Perhaps if there was a direct implication that Coke endorses a specific brand as opposed to as a mixing ingredient.
    Edit: after a quick google search, Coke has joined forces with Bacardi twice in advertising but currently doesn’t endorse any specific rum.

13. CaseyJPorter

CaseyJPorter Rookie

Jan 10, 2013
    Ferrari Threatens Owner Over Lavish Lifestyle

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ha! Now truth or not he is exploiting the C&D for more publicity.