For Sale - 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS | FerrariChat

For Sale 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by classicmini, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    I am selling my 1972 Maserati Ghibli SS automatic VIN AM115/49/2406 because we’ve recently decided to build a new home.

Asking $145,000. I would be happy to answer any questions. Will be adding more pictures soon. Please contact me by phone at 316-706-3668, leave a message if I am unable to answer. Thanks, Rod

I bought this car about a year ago. The previous owner had it for 25 years of which is was garage stored for the last 23. (see picture) The owner prior to that had it for about 10 years and purchased it from the original buyer. I know the second and third owners and have spoken with them personally regarding the history of the car. Current mileage is 40,643. Mileage listed on title when previous owner bought the car was 30,570 in 1993.

The Good:

Runs and drives and engine seems strong, drives nice and straight even on old tires

Everything works except the radio and wipers due to wiper switch missing

Heater works and has cold A/C, drops temp by 35 degrees

Includes jack and spare but missing tool roll

Original owner’s manual included

The Bad:

Rust in areas typical of series I Ghiblis

Automatic transmission has internal noise but shifts ok

Wiper portion of column switch is missing, all I found in the car was the lever and internal switch contact disc

Tires are old

Lacquer paint is checked and cracked

Hood appears to have been repainted years ago as color does not quite match

Interior complete but is original, old and tired

Has a few oil drips on garage floor after driving

Driver visor hinge broke but visor still with car

Here is a list of work that has been done since I have owned the car:

Radiator recored and hoses replaced, thermostat replaced, new fan thermo switches, new heater valves, water pump rebuilt by Dave Helms at Scuderia Rampante, new accessory belts.

Front and rear brake pads replaced, new front brake hoses, flushed brake system fluid

New ignition wires, spark plugs, Pertonix unit installed in distributor, Pertronix coil, new battery, new headlight switch, replaced headlight lift relays and repaired wiring

Four weber carbs refurbished, fuel tanks cleaned and sealed, filters in fuel pumps replaced, fuel filter replaced, new air filter

Flushed A/C system, new compressor installed, new receiver dryer installed, serviced with 134A freon, new compressor clutch bearing

Front wheel bearings cleaned and regreased, oil tank supply and return hoses replaced, installed new axle limiting straps, transmission hoses, filter and fluid changed, engine oil and filter changed

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Wow, that looks like a really great project for someone !

Would not take a whole lot of resources to bring this baby in to excellent shape again !

If I only had the time..........and was about 10 years younger...:(

one4torque and lineaTesoro like this.
  3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I Love it!!!
    Tempting!

4. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Love these cars. Great color! Wonder how hard a manual swap would be?

5. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    After the 15K for a proper S5-325? Knew a guy who did it once, but unsure what it cost.

6. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    No doubt not cheap!!

19633500GT likes this.
  7. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    I was visiting with Jacques at MIE in Auburn about the car and he said he had all the parts to put together a manual conversion kit.

8. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Really tempting. Where is the car located?

9. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    We are south of Wichita Kansas. The car is at my house. Call me if you have any other questions.
    Thanks

10. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I certainly see the appeal of a manual. But this is one of those cars where an automatic suits it just fine. These are GT cars, not sports cars per se. Absolutely great for just eating up highway miles with grace and style.

I almost bought a Maserati Khamsin a number of years ago from a fellow FChatter. I hesitated because the car had an automatic. I'm not sure I'd make the same decision today.

F456M likes this.
  11. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    I usually enjoy a manual also but after driving this one with the automatic, even in its current unrestored condition, I would definitely enjoy the automatic just as much. These cars are just great for just relaxing and cruising around on a road trip. It even rides and drives great as it is. I can imagine how nice it would be when fully restored.
    I do need to get the car sold so any interest, please don't hesitate to contact me with an offer. I promise I won't be offended :)
    Thanks,
    Rod 316-706-3668

one4torque likes this.
  12. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    Still available , dropping price to $125,000
    Thanks for looking

13. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M

Fore give my ignorance, but where is the rust you noted?

14. classicmini

classicmini Rookie

Apr 1, 2012
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Ararad
    Hi Steve
    I see rust in the drivers floorboard
    The rockers will need some repairs
    Lower doors and the lower fenders just forward of the doors.
    Thanks Rod

15. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Looks like it has the rare power steering. A big plus. One of the most expensive cars to restore, but looks like good raw material for someone of means.

16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Thanks for the info

That is a big concern.

17. Rrariboy

Rrariboy Rookie

Oct 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Filippo
    Could you call me about car ? 424 256 2839. Interested. Just had some questions

18. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    Forgive my ignorance, but why and compared to what? I don’t know much about these but would like to learn more.

19. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Compared to Ferraris and Lamborghinis of the era. The sources for parts are relatively few and prices are high.

ghibliman likes this.
  20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    not really, mechanically Maseratis of that era are parts bin cars. The only thing Maserati manufactured was the engines, just about everything else was from common manufacturers. One just had/has to do the research to cross reference the parts, which is a lot easier today with the internet.