AC Compressor Failing | FerrariChat

AC Compressor Failing

Discussion in '308/328' started by rocket50, Aug 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Just had my 328 in to my mechanic for some other issues and was told my AC compressor is getting ready to go and needs to be replaced. When it kicks on it runs louder than the engine at idle. I usually turn it off when coming to a stop because it is so loud. Suggestions on replacement compressors? Looked into doing it myself but am a little intimidated by the estimate of 3 hours to remove alone. Was also told that compressors are very hard to find by the mechanic. Any truth to this?

2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    It does not take 3 hours to remove the compressor, so I'd start by reevaluating that bit of the quote.

308 milano and Saabguy like this.
  3. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    That wasn't from the mechanic. That was from a DIY article that came with the car.

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I had to buy an AC compressor from Italian car parts, when I had my AC system rebuilt, new lines, and fittings,and a new universal compressor using the original clutch, the clutch failed, and I had to buy a brand new compressor from Italian car parts which came with a new clutch because you cannot buy just the clutch by itself.( if your clutch is original it will most likely fail if it has not already if you use it on a new universal compressor) The compressor was about 650 dollars. Italian car parts sold me the bracket to go with this compressor, but it had to be heavily modified in order to mount the compressor and get the belt to align. If you have the original compressor with the R12 , your going to need to replace the lines because the R134 refrigerant will eat away the original AC hoses. This is based on my experience with restoring my AC after no use for almost 20 years of ownership. Im not sure if this post will help, just a little FYI ,

5. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Thanks Gino. Some very good info here. I appreciate it.