Gasly out, Albon in | FerrariChat

Gasly out, Albon in

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  2. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Yes, same here.

Although Marco concerning Gasly did change his wording after Hungary.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's about time. RBR are going to have to make their decisions faster if they want to beat MB next year. This should have happened 6 races ago, and they'd comfortably be deep into 2nd place if they booted him then.

DF1 and Bas like this.
  4. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    RBR is going for the gold from here on. My money's for them for the next few years. And Ferrari will go from second to third. :p

tifosi12, william and Bas like this.
  5. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    "Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko has affirmed that Red Bull will not replace Pierre Gasly before the end of the 2019 season."

Less then 2 weeks ago, did Gasly run over his cat? :oops:

Forza Albon, I think he will do well :) if not Kvyat can replace him at Monza :eek:

I'm 360 Canuck, 375+ and Bas like this.
  6. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kvyat has the experience. But I think Albon has more potential. That's probably the reason I guess.

kylec, Nembo1777, 635CSI and 2 others like this.
  7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Good Move.

8. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    About bloody time!

Im a big fan of Albon. Seems a very level headed and down to earth young man. Plus he keeps getting better with every race. Good move.

9. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Fully agree. I think he'll be closer to max. Beating Max was never expected of Gasly but a gap this big is completely unacceptable. There's a 44 point gap between RBR and Ferrari, a gap that's still possible to overcome....with a driver that at least attempts to fight the Ferrari's.

Curious to see Gasly's response. Guess he can't moan too much given that he'll be driving about in the STR still.

stavura likes this.
  10. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Kvyat is worthless..if red bull had anyone else he would be sacked....

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A 9 race test for Albon

12. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Too soon to upgade Albon. RIsky for his career (as it was for Gasly). Not sure why they didnt went for Kyviat.

Jack-the-lad, subirg and Isobel like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Oh, Marko lied! I feel so disappointed...

Now, back to the topic, Albon hasn´t show more than Gasly did a year ago. Although they don´t have a lot to loose: at worse, they´ll destroy another career. As if they care.

Jack-the-lad, LVP488, Isobel and 2 others like this.
  14. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Because Kyviat was looking at GoT rather than preparing for the next race like Max was doing....

ciao
    Oscar

15. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Kvyat probably would be a more sensible choice: if he fails it won´t matter, and that would give more time to Albon.

Jack-the-lad, Isobel, william and 2 others like this.
  16. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Why risky ???

Schumacher had 1 race with Jordan before being upgraded to Benetton

VPX and Bas like this.
  17. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    because they already tried him and he sucked...

VPX likes this.
  18. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Not sure I missed something here, but I missed the joke :(

In the other hand, Gasly was promising, went to RBR and got sacked now...

Well, 2019 KYV is not the 2017 KYV... And if he sucked, they wouldn't have called him back to STR. But I can undestand the logic in this thought....

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree. A driver either has ''it'' or he doesn't.

Verstappen had a single season in F3 before being thrown into the deep end and just over a season later, straight into the Red Bull.

Same goes for Kimi...from Formula Renault straight to F1 and a season later in the Mclaren, replacing a double world champion.

------

I see no reason for Albon to not at least MATCH Gasly's pace, and likely improve on it. I don't think anyone is asking for either driver to Match or Beat Max, but a representative pace isn't that much to ask for.

I hate that people accuse RBR of being ''career killers''...if it wasn't for Red Bull many of these guys would never even got close to F1, not due to lack of talent, but due to lack of funding...the road to F1 is a very expensive one.

Red Bull has launched some very successful careers:

Vettel 4x champion
    Verstappen 7x winner and in my eyes the best driver in F1 currently
    Ricciardo 7x winner and an in demand driver, certainly no slouch!

Carlos Sainz Jr well paid drive at Mclaren
    Kvyat long time STR driver, ex Ferrari development, current STR driver
    Albon supported throughout his career and now RBR driver

On top of that their ''sacked'' drivers, through red bull exposure, managed to get drives in other formula and are doing very well for themselves.

It works both ways....do well and Red Bull rewards you. Don't do so well and expect someone else to take your place. They all know this. And it's no different than accumulating sponsors yourself...don't perform and expect them to drop you! In fact Red Bull makes it quite a lot easier for many drivers who don't have to start shopping around for various sponsors to get a drive...and where a drive can disappear even through no fault of their own, but quite simple because 1 of their sponsors fails to pay up! Not even performance related!

I actually feel bad for the guys that are not getting a chance because someone useless is being kept in employ...not for someone that's been given a chance but fails to perform on every single occasion.

Had gasly shown improvements race by race I'd say keep him on...hell at least he'd have seen the end of the season. But he hasn't. Only once has he shown some form of improvement (Silverstone), and Verstappen appeared to have throttle mapping issues all weekend...he was again put firmly in his place the following races:

In Germany, 4 tenths down in Q on Max (very short lap remember), disastrous race which saw him drive fight and fail against the much slower STR, with a rookie at the wheel who had never raced F1 in the rain before....and then clattering into him.

In Hungary he managed to qualify an astonishing 9 tenths slower than Max...on one of the shortest tracks of the season! On top of that, Max lapped him AGAIN...

Thecadster, JStone414, 375+ and 4 others like this.
  20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Kvyat calmed down a bit, but I don't think he is any faster now.

375+ and VPX like this.
  21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Good luck to Alex ,finished runner up to Leclerc in GP3. Amazing to think he was due to be doing F Eeeewww this year before he got the deal with T Rosso.At 23 he is quite'old' by todays standards.

Could be a blessing in disguise for Gasly, he really was in a bad place this year.

VPX and Bas like this.
  22. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Plus lets's not forget the whole raison d'etre behind the team.
    They are going to sell a **** load of"energy drinks" in Thailand !

Seriously though, I like Albon, good luck to him.

375+, stavura, VPX and 1 other person like this.
  23. VPX

VPX Karting

Jun 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Victor
    I do not think that Red Bull is a career killer. Just think that it's risky. And risk usually is proportional to the possible benefits.

True. I'm never defending GAS, he should go anyway. But still not sure if Albon was the best option.

Still has a lot more points than Albon... But let's wait and see. I have no problem in making wrong guesses :D

Bas likes this.
  24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Moose Craft Cider probably helped him to get the seat too ? Will that appear on his new ride?

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Krating Daeng?

635CSI likes this.