Corvette C8 over used 458??? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Corvette C8 over used 458???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by PA Wolfpacker, Aug 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What i was told regarding the wheels, was that they were simply not ready and available yet when the specs were published.
    The front axle lifter is actually not that big of a deal compared to say full electric seats. I believe it's like 6-8kg total. And of the Pistas I've seen and those I know with one on order, nobody has specced the lifter.

What I was told was that SSC 6.0 and 6.1 is technically equally advanced and "compatible" so to speak. One is just specific for the Pista setup and the other is specific for the F8. What I was also told, was that both cars would receive SSC firmware updates over time.

But the CF seats is definitely a good way to keep weight down. I'm certain your F8 will be a magnificent driving car:)

2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I saw a Pista with carbon wheels at Ferrari of San Antonio the first Saturday of this month. They come with temp sensors, IIRC, and look incredibly fragile. It will be interesting to see how they hold up. Awesome looking, of course.

stavura and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My local dealer has had a bunch of Pistas through so far with CF wheels - mostly Pista Piloti cars. No issues so far. I saw a bunch of them in their storage back in May, and they looked great. The CF wheels which are made by Carbon Revolution has definitely proved themselves so far on other cars, so I'm sure the Pista wheels they made are equally good.

G. Pepper likes this.
  4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Nice engine, but not 1/10th as good as a Ferrari engine. Also understeery as hell. Doesn't even worth mentioning in the same sentence as a real supercar.

458 Spider 0414 likes this.
  5. 458 Spider 0414

458 Spider 0414 Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2017
    MIAMI, FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    RAY
    Totaly agree!!!

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Search and read. Brilliant with simple mods and supercar performance.
    I don’t care about the pompousness of the brand for a track car. Or the mfgr of the engine!

Drew_1, Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Don't have to read anything, I had the (dis)pleasure of tracking one...

458 Spider 0414 likes this.
  8. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    As have we and it’s brilliant.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    The understeery TTRS brilliant??? I am sorry, but I will have to doubt anything your sir should state from now on...

10. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
  11. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    458 over the C8 on any single day. The 458 just has that “zing” to it. Sure, the C8 could be considered a better value by today’s standard but it is no 458, the original.

My only concern with the C8 flooding the streets is that it could be mistaken as a Ferrari which dilutes the novalty look of the 458/488 and other Ferrari’s. Even today I sometimes get tricked for a split milisecond when I see a Corvette with the curves similar to a Ferrari from a distance. This is why I think people freak out when they see a Lamborghini more because there is no mistake when you see one on the road.

Surfah and Shark01 like this.
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    #62 dustman, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Read what I wrote.

BarryK and Boomhauer like this.
  13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I disagree. The Lambos with all their strakes, severe angles, grill openings, vents and screens make them more likely to be mistaken for a C8. The 458/488 seem more understated and sleek. I've never mistaken a Vette for an F-car. But I have had to look twice at one to verify it wasn't a Lambo.

14. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Great looking C3.

What type of floor is that in the garage?

15. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    I have never heard anybody say a Lamborghini looks like a Corvette or vice versa.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJHMH, Mayrivercrab, Surfah and 3 others like this.
  16. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Well now you have.

And the cars you show in your post are not 458s or 488s.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I find the C8 to be extremely unattractive and am genuinely confused by the widespread praise it’s been receiving. I love Vettes and own a C6 ZR1 so I don’t say this as a hater of the marque.

Somehow critics have given the styling a free pass on account of it being a mid engine V8 for $60k. That in itself should not excuse its kit car proportions. Hard for me to look at these two photos and not conclude that the C8 styling is a major step backward. My car is stock except for being lowered using factory adjustment. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

KC360 FL likes this.
  18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    old school vs new school .
    Just curious. Serious question. Are you over 55 yrs old/old school? No answer necessary. Just a demographic taste angle.

19. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    the corvette at the end of the day is a GM product with the baggae of a GM product.
    Approximately 30K will be released into the wild next year ( a far cry from the Ferrari production numbers).
    will it be an attractive alternative for those on a budget who want to get confused in a parking lot as to which is theirs???..... maybe
    A nice straight-line car, but the magnetic hydrodynamics have yet to be proven.
    The dash cam - race mode will be interesting.
    The interior looks interesting, but flimsy on the videos I've seen - may develop a lot of quality issues.
    Positioning is a bit odd.... but its a video assessment.
    The exhaust note/soundtrack is not musical but rather drone-on.
    Mechanically there may be initially only one one to two experienced mechanics to service this new mid-engine architecture.
    Expensive service
    Buggy initial release (GM is worse than MS or APPLE for software releases and bugs).
    Most of the other discussion forums talk about easy and abundant add-on's for the vettes.

20. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Fully optioned the C8 will by around $100k.

And GM is making a $100k pick up truck. Let that sink in.

21. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Mid 40’s. I’m a Ferrari, Porsche and McLaren collector but wanted to add some American iron to the stable. I’ve always found the C6 ZR1 to be the prettiest of modern Corvettes and having a timeless design. It will age very well. Not to mention it’s compact, light and has a manual V8 with 638hp from a dry sump engine with titanium connecting rods. An honest 200mph supercar. The brake calipers and ceramic rotors are very similar to an Enzo’s. The roof and entire front hood are made from carbon.

I also have a Demon which I liken to a caricature of street legal hot rod. Both cars are a blast to drive and provide colour to my otherwise Euro-centric collection.

22. RWC58

RWC58 Karting

Oct 14, 2018
    Columbus Ohio
    Full Name:
    Robert W Crooks
    Well the C8 is very well done s still not a Ferrari and I don't hear any mention of a 9000 redline !!!!!

PhilNotHill likes this.
  23. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    The C8 will quickly lose it's appeal once you see a dozen overweight, grey haired guys show up with one at the first car show next summer. It would take a lot to oversome that Corvette stigma and I think they really missed it on styling, expecially the Camaro back end.

xfrgtr likes this.
  24. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    you're wrong. The new C8 has a much wider appeal and this is only the base model. Just wait for the Z06 and the king kong Zora.

Boomhauer likes this.
  25. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Wow so no Ferrari owners fit that profile?:confused:try inserting 488 or F8...even 458 great car but not exactly a rare sight either

Shark01, Boomhauer, BJK and 1 other person like this.