Slow Down Lights on a 360 for 2 minutes | FerrariChat

Slow Down Lights on a 360 for 2 minutes

Discussion in '360/430' started by angelis, Dec 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    For the last few months now I've been getting slow down warning light.

It only happens if I haven't driven the car for a few days/weeks.

- I start the car as normal and drive it down the road.
    - About a minute later the slow down light come on but the engine feels fine.
    - I drive for a couple of minutes more and the light goes out.

When the Ferrari computer is plugged in it shows that there is a misfire on all cylinders but the engine is running fine.

Also occasionally on start up the idle is very lumpy and feels like it's going to stall. Happens on mainly cold days.

My 360 is a 2003 and I've been advised to get an ECU update.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #2 360trev, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Cold start misfires might be a red herring...

They are most certainly related to maintenance and fuel to air mixture but there are many reasons which could cause it...

Dirty fuel injectors
    Aging/failing coil packs
    Tired O2 sensors
    Old spark plugs
    Poor fuel pressure
    Unmetered air entering after air flow meters
    Eg from badly sealing gaskets on either air intake of manifolds...
    Even old fuel with poor octane could cause it.. in EU you are using 98 octane right?
    Etc. Etc.

What's the service history of the car? How much of these routine service items can you see have been done?

Bosch did a lot more calibration work on cold start in 2004 so yes later spec ECUs may help but I suspect there is more to it than this and it's going to be related to ticking off the list all of the preventative maintenance that a lot of people don't do until its too late and the car isn't performing as it should do...

At least Fuel is an easy one to tick off the list and since it's affecting both banks seems like a good place to start!

Btw) Slow down is usually related to temp probes or cat ECU/voltage converters (or earthing points which I suspected since as they warm up they may be making better contact as heat causes expansion in metal). Look for small cracks in resin on cat ECUs as a sure fire sign they are a culprit too.

3. Joeschiavon

Joeschiavon Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Had same issue
    Prob that checks CAT Temp has module, one per side under bay covers. I used 100% silicone to seal top of module on edges to prevent moister from getting in.

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I had the same symptoms.
    In my case it turned out to be the initial indications of the cats going bad

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Before you start buying new ECU's, do a thorough cleaning of all the connector contacts.
    (Ask me how I know)

6. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Thanks guys.

The car is not actually misfiring, but the computer says it does.

It’s going in for a service next month so will ask them to investigate further

7. Petespokerplanet

Apr 15, 2019
    DFW, TEXAS
    Full Name:
    Peter N
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? My car is doing the exact same thing after I changed out the 02 sensors. Some people have suggested that it's related to a bad ground...?

8. Rjoselaw

Rjoselaw Karting

Mar 10, 2019
    Southlake, Texas
    Full Name:
    Raj J
    Mine does the same thing when I do not let the engine warm up long enough. It does not affect any of the performance and the red light stays on for only a little over a minute. If I allow the car to warm up properly, I have never had the red slow down light come on. I have an OBD reader connected to my stereo (see my prior stereo post) and it does not read any misfires when I check. So, I just try to remember to always allow the car sufficient time to warm up first and absolutely no problems.

9. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    You may have a faulty thermocouple or dodgy grounding around the exhaust / TCU area as this isn't normal behaviour. Even though your fault seems pretty minor if it annoys you it should be fairly easy to overcome.

10. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The very first thing i would do with these slow down lights is to look at the cat ecu,s to see if their cracked. If they are its a problem

11. Petespokerplanet

Apr 15, 2019
    DFW, TEXAS
    Full Name:
    Peter N
    Angelis, did they ever resolve this issue for you? My car is doing the exact same thing as the original post stated. Slow down light on startup, then goes away after a couple minutes driving. No loss of power and the cats are definitely not overheating. It just started when I changed out my O2 sensors.

12. Rjoselaw

Rjoselaw Karting

Mar 10, 2019
    Southlake, Texas
    Full Name:
    Raj J
    I have heard of the bad ground being a cause. I will definitely try that option first.

13. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I'm pretty sure the car went to AV Engineering in the end. Voicey (on here I think) is a co-owner or owner of AV Engineering.

14. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    A new battery cured my car of this earlier this summer.
    Make sure you have lots of volts at startup. The weird nonsense that can happen from an under charged batt in these cars is amazing, so do a load test.

FantasiaForest likes this.