Timing belt conundrum | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Timing belt conundrum

Discussion in '308/328' started by Irishman, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You can call the marks anything you like. If you replace a belt the change in the relative position of those marks will not change by more than +/- 0.5 degrees from where they were the last time the belts were changed. Whether the engine will be timed correctly, again, the caveat is, "if you start with a properly timed engine".

People who do not accept that must believe that dimensions of metal parts change and that the manufactures are lying about tolerances on bet length, and tooth pitch.

And here is another point the never get discussed much. Please note that in my post #21 I said the max error due to belt tolerance was +/-0.75*. That was in error. The tolerance for belt length is +/- 0.75mm which translates to a little more than +/- 0.5*. If you start with a correctly timed engine and the belt does stretch 2mm, then by the time you are preplacing the belts the time would be off more that 1 degree from where it was set, more than would occur if the tolerances of the old and new belts were at the extreme opposite limits. But belt stretch is irrelevant because all it tells you is where the timing is compared to where it was when that belt was new. Now, if belt stretch is an issue that effects timing adversely, why would you not compensate for it want replacing belts? If belt stretch were to account for a timing change of 1.5*, why not time the engine to be 0.75* advanced so that at the end of the belts life the engine would only be retarded by 0.75* as opposed to starting with time dead on and ending 1.5* retarded?

Again, I repeat, the caveat is if the engine was timed correctly the last time the belts were changed. If you are confident that is the case, a belt sway is sufficient since the max change due to a belt swap is within the factory spec for timing. If you aren't confident, then check the timing and adjust if you feel necessary. But please stop trying to convince me that 1" drill makes a 2" hole.

thorn likes this.
  2. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks for all the good suggestions.

I managed to get the belt installed, the tensioner set and the marks all lined up. The suggestion to install the tensioner assembly loose was easy and might have helped. I was all on board with trying to get the drive cog to jump a tooth in order to tighten the slack between it and the exhaust cam. However, I was not successful doing so. Maybe I didn't turn the crank far enough but I got uncomfortable turning the crank that way with the camshafts not moving.

In the end, since the intake cam was the one wanting to jump the most I installed the belt with the intake one tooth in the opposite direction it wanted to jump. Sure enough after two crank revolutions it came back to TDC with both cams on the marks on the next try.

I didn't mark cams and belts before disassembly. I also don't typically lock the cams. I don't know if it's strictly necessary but anytime I change the timing belts I also adjust the valves and change the cam seals. So the camshafts always come out of the car anytime I do this job.

3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "IF after Assembly AND the Valve Timing Process has been FULLY and CAREFULLY conducted, and ANY of the cam and cam cap marks align perfectly, that is just Italian Dumb Luck."

If that is the case than every belt change would require a piston stop/degree wheel to find piston #1's TDC and then each cam would have to be degreed-in individually. Is that what the Ferrari mechs did at the dealer for each belt change?

4. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Hello all, the marks should align every second turn, two rotations of crank equals one rotation of cam.
    In my opinion, you are installing the belts without enough tension to begin with. The portion of the belt that goes directly from the lower drive sprocket to the cam is at tension when mounted.

John.

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As I said earlier, when you are on the PM 1-4 mark the #1 and #4 pistons are at TDC, the #2 and #3 are at BDC and all #5 through #8 are 90 degrees off and exactly midway between TDC and BDC. So you are in no danger of colliding pistons with valves until you have turned the crank nearly 90 degrees either way.
    As for marking the belts and sprockets, that's only useful if you have not removed the cam covers and cannot see the index marks.

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Some interesting numbers from Gates. A 1" wide timing belt will stretch at the rate of 1mm/1888 lbs. The same belt has a max tensile strength to failure of 760 lbs. So before the belt stretches 1 mm is would break.

A 308 belt has 96 teeth.

7. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    John, you got that conversion waaaay off. 0.75 mm converts to 0.0295 inches, NOT .5 inches.

Lester

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #33 johnk..., Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    0.5* = 0.5 degrees.

Let me sum this up like this: If 3 or 5 or how ever many years ago the last belt change was done the timing was A, and the timing today with the old belt is B, where B changed because of belt stretch or whatever, and after putting a new belt on the timing is C, then C will (must) be closer to A than B if the belt stretch is greater than the tolerance in belt length. So if you believe belt stretch is significant and greater than the belt length tolerance, then the idea then swapping belts can mess up timing is a myth.

If belt stretch is greater than the belt length tolerance then swapping belts will always restore the timing closer to what it was at the previous belt change.

9. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That makes a lot more sense.

Lester

10. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Thanks, good to know as I wasn't sure how far I could go.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    “As I said earlier, when you are on the PM 1-4 mark the #1 and #4 pistons are at TDC...”

#1 or #4 will be at TDC exhaust stroke so a couple of teeth off can cause the valve to hit the piston

12. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Which is why I lock the cams. You can rotate the crank either way from the PM 1-4 mark and not worry about interference on the 1-4 bank. You have to rotate close to 90 degrees before worrying about the 5-8 bank. Different people have their own methods, my method is to set the engine up at #1 TDC on firing stroke with all the cam marks lined up. That way there's no guessing as to where everything is at or what's going to happen when you turn the crank. Lock the cams at that point and you are safe to turn the crank quite a bit either way to make it easier to get the belt on in the proper position so that everything is aligned and all of the slack is pulled out of the long run.

13. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, as you say, I guess we all have our own 'way.' I would never move the crankshaft once I am ready to pull the belts (whether I put everything at TDC or just marked the cam positions where the engine stopped. I only move the cams to achieve whatever slight movement is necessary to get the tooth to "drop" into place. There is no way to "accidentally" get a tooth or more off - one tooth off is a long way and is obvious whether you set up everything at TDC or just mark the cams' positions when the engine is shut off.

If there is concern about bashing a piston into a valve/bending it, that risk is far greater by turning the crank than it is by turning the cam, simply because it takes so much more force to turn the crank. If you turn the crank you can easily hit a valve without even realizing it at first. Turning the cam it is almost impossible to not immediately realize it if a valve hits a piston - long before you could actually bend a valve.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Those two conditions are not the same Mike. At TDC you know you are safe moving the crank either direction because all that is going to happen is #1 and #4 will move down and nothing else is anywhere near the valves. "where the engine stopped" is a complete unknown position. You can't safely move anything from that starting point.

My only problem with turning the cams with #1 and #4 at TDC is that they are unstable and unpredictable, they can snap forward or backwards because of the uneven load of the valve springs to the off centered lobes. I am just more comfortable with them locked and knowing that there is no way for me to cause interference by turning the crank a large number of degrees either direction from that position. If you have had the heads off and see how the pistons move it becomes very clear, this is nothing like a normal cross plane V8. It's two four bangers 90 degrees apart.

Anyway, just explaining my position, not here to tell anyone how to do it.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well, I definitely agree that the cams can, and do, snap forward or backwards! ;)

16. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    At TDC with removed belts and the cams have moved to the nearest resting position, how close are the valves to the pistons?

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No very close for a QV.

18. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    Turning the crank when a piston is near TDC moves the piston very little which means there is a huge mechanical advantage at that point of crank rotation. A small amount of torque on the crank creates a great force the piston can exert on a valve possibly bending it. Turning a camshaft by hand does not have the same mechanical advantage unless you use a cheater bar 5 feet long or so.

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #44 kcabpilot, Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    No way to answer that without knowing what "nearest resting position" is.

Let's not take any of this out of context. With all of the marks aligned and the cams locked and belts removed turning the crank a few degrees one way or the other creates no danger of interference. Regardless of mechanical advantage, or lack of, the intent here is to have no contact of any sort between a valve and a piston.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #45 johnk..., Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Agreed, and as stated earlier, with the crank at TDC and the cams at the marks the only cylinders that could have vales any where near the piston is #1 and#4 where the valves are in overlap at the top of the exhaust stroke. Now, from experience, I know that in a 308 QV the valves never get very close to the pistons as I have experience with a broken belt in which the engine kept running. Only 4 valves were bent, 2 exhaust and 2 intake, and looking at the valve with the naked eye you would be hard pressed to see how much the valves were bent without a reference to a straight valve.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Looking further, as noted in another post, bank 2 pistons will all be at about 1/2 stroke, so no problems there. On bank 1, one cylinder will be at the top of the compression stroke with valves closed. One will be at the top of the exhaust stroke with the valves in overlap. The other two cylinders, 2 and 3, will be at BTD with one just finishing the intake stroke and the other will be just starting the exhaust stroke. So the only real issue is the cylinder at TDC with the valves at overlap.

21. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Unlike Alfa Romeos the Ferrari cams have only one index mark therefore if the cam marks are aligned #1 is TDC on compression and #4 is TDC on exhaust. Although the #4 valves may not be completely closed they are barely off the seats as the cam lobes at that position are pointed inwards towards each other. If a belt were to fail, what subsequently happens depends completely upon what position the cams stopped at. When you are installing a cam on the head you will notice that there is a position (maybe two) where it lies fairly flat and you are able to put all of the caps on and start the nuts. In that position none of the valves will be completely open when the journal caps are torqued down. If the cam is in a position where the valves are completely open there will be severe interference between valve and piston and subsequent severe damage but this is a position that an unrestrained cam doesn't particularly like to stay in. It tends to want to snap to what you might call a "resting position" where all of the loads from the valve springs are in somewhat of a balance and none of the valves are fully open.

22. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    you can really say "it doesn't matter how many teeth the belt has"

sjd

23. Hinecker

Hinecker Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2011
    Morning Steve,
    Exactly, as long as the tensioner can pick up the slack. The number of teeth only indicate the length, if it was longer it could be loose if shorter it would be too tight.
    The ratio is defined by pulley diameter.
    Keep in mind that this engine has two reductions, one inside (with gears) and one outside with belts... at the end it's still 2 to 1 reduction ratio, as in all 4 stroke engines.

Hope this helps.

John.

steved033 likes this.
  24. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Maybe well known, but it is always important to make comparative measurements with the same setup before and after a change of something.

In the belt case, one important setup parameter is the tension on each belt section. If one measured the positions of the cams with the longest belt section at say 150N, then it has to be the same tension when checking positions after changing the belt. Of course, it depends on what accuracy is needed ..

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Assuming ZERO Wear, 'YES' the car will be again in the 'exact tune condition' it was at the end of the last belt-change procedure if all you do is 'pop old belts off and pop new belts on.' IF the engine was 'perfectlty timed' the last time, it should be so again. Same if 'Mis-Timed' the last time. The engine 'timing/mistiming' would be consistant. No argument* from me there. NONE. AT. ALL.

However, we do know that that wear DOES Occur. 'How Much Wear this time' can only be determined by actually Measuring the Index of all four cams every time.

Now, is that really realistic? Probably not. Ferrari says (IIRC, manuals and updates not currently available) on the 3x8: belts change every 3 years; a 'Major' (to include actual valve cover removal and Indexing the Cams and Re-Shiming valves as req every 5 years.

Okaaaaaaay ... THAT's 'Italian Service Scheduling Math' for ya. ;)

So me being me, I do belts about every 3 years and Index the cams/measure all valve/shim gaps or 'lash' every SECOND Belt Change, unless some other condition occurs to warrant a sooner look underneath the valve covers.

The 308 2V car's cam-crank timing is fairly 'forgiving.' +/- 3° IIRC. The 4Vs are much less-so, supposedly. Dont own one; Dont lnow.

What 'The Good Book' does not really make clear (to me anyway) is, is that allowable deviation of +/-3° are those measured 'CRANK °' or 'CAM °' which are a football field apart (2:1), IMHO. [Any PRO Help Me/Us, here? Thanx in Advance.]

Changing Gears ...

I bet NO ONE at any Ferrari Dealer Maintenance Shop Ever GAVE A S*** about belt 'stretch' on ANY FCar, but I do know For a FACT, that at least several INDY PRO MECHs here on FChat, DO ... And they time/index the cars in their charge to compensate for it or overall minimize its effects over the life of the belt.

As least One INDY MECH here, and likely a couple more, probably has/have better and more comprehensive data on New vs. Aging toothed-belts than even Dayco/Isoran does. That wouldn't surprise me.

* - The ONLY DISAgreement from me in this thread, Guys, is what the grooved marks on the cams and cam caps are REALLY for, and how 'accurate' they often turn-out to be, or not to be. I am merely saying when claiming those marks can (should?) also be used as 'faithful' for 'short-cutting' a PITA process (Indexing Cams) requiring much greater refinement and accuracy, that is likely not correct.

Will your car still run taking that Timing 'short-cut?' SURE WILL. The odds are really on your side with a 2V motor. A 4V, Not so much.

Will it run as GOOD as it possibly CAN using just those marks as assumed to be 'accurate' Timing 'Indicators?' No One will ever know.