Maserati Khamsin | Page 308 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    It is black gloss.

2. Foncool

Foncool Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2011
    Thanks mark, assume matching to the c-pillar covers.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    As I am in the process of re-assembling my Khamsin after paint (pictures shown in an earlier post), I decided to rebuild
    the front headlight pod lifters while they were easily accessible. I had noticed a leak in the area for some time, but it was
    just easier to add green fluid rather than go through the process of swapping out the O-rings and using Ivan's guide on
    resealing them. Of interest to me was the leaks were NOT at the ports as indicated in Ivan's guide but rather at the top
    where the cylinder actually moves up and down. In the end, I decided to get the new ones offered by MIE. They are rather
    expensive, but then again there isn't much call for these items. They were extremely easy to install, and when tested without
    the headlight pod load, worked very nicely. They also appear to be rebuildable, which is a nice feature..

Mike

71Satisfaction likes this.
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7679 Nembo1777, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    AM120US1118 has emerged after many years of slumber and is now at BHCC in California.

Funnily enough I had one photo of this car, which for some reason won't load, a photo of it in a barren warehouse, looking just like it looks now. I received it by email over 20 years ago and had not kept the data that went with it though there was very little, one issue of the Viale Ciro Menotti owners roster in August 1984 mentions it was owned by a Clay Bailey, Dallas. It is one of the seven fly yellow Khamsins, all of them US market cars, so nice to see it reappear.

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I have an extra hood grill (no idea which K it came from) and it is charcoal grey. You Khamsin guys need to put together an Authenticity Guide as it appears not all grills were glossy black :)

Ivan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ivan I doubt that is the original color...

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Except when Foncool asked the question about the hood grill; one of the colors he mentioned was charcoal grey ... therefore I assumed there is at least another Khamsin with that grill color. If that is true then what are the odds that two K's have the grills painted charcoal grey, and both being non-original?

Ivan

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ivan,

I don't intend to spend my weekend doing a census of Khamsin grille colors but I stand by my belief that grilles are black gloss.

If some are charcoal grey then I will not mind being proven wrong but here we are really into concours trailer queen talk I would like to see accounts of DRIVES not endless tinkering. I am not trying to vex anyone but why is it we get tons of technical minutiae and never any driving accounts? It is summer so any photos of drives owners have had or are having and accounts sharing that are most welcome:)

9. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    If you guys have been following the Ghibli hood pad material thread you may come to realize that some of this stuff just plane varied over time. I'm always amused by judges who proclaim to "know" this and proclaim that when judging serious a concours. If there's once consistent thing about the Italian manufacturers it's that they weren't necessarily consistent, especially the financially stressed ones. DeTomaso was a master of the use up whatever we have in house approach.

MK1044 likes this.
  10. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    I wrote Fabio on the grill color here is his response:

“I have checked a lot in our Archive but unfortunately I did not find any "official" information....as you know the bodies at that time were built by the coachbuilder directly and we don't have any drawing or document about the grills (I have found only the drawings numbers by Bertone but not the drawings).
    I remember that the grills were black, so I have asked an help to a real expert about Maserati and he confirmed my memories....below his reply to me, I hope it could be useful anyway!

The colour is definitely black. It should be ‘satin matt black’, sometimes called semi-matt black. This is between gloss and matt. It is possible to have this paint mixed with different levels of gloss. We recommend 50% gloss. Because it is variable, it is not possible to order on a paint code unfortunately.”

Nembo1777 and MK1044 like this.
  11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Same color as on the Bora's rear quarter vents but those were not painted originally. They were also alloy.

12. chriskindl

chriskindl Rookie

Apr 2, 2010
    I know at least 4 original cars were the grilles are greyish charcoal, flat to semi flat finish. Up to now I know no original car with black grill.

Best regards from Berlin,
    Marek

P.S.
    I remember an analysis on after market side mirrors, so IMHO an analysis on bertone grill colors seems at least as relevant for some people who are restoring the grille.

13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Paint fades, satin black WO strong UV protection especially.

MK1044 likes this.
  14. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Bob you solved the Columbus egg of grille colors:)

Marek good to hear from you, hope you are well, how about some photos of the green beauty that missed K40 but will hopefully be at K50 (you have three more years to get it
    ready:)) Danke in advance.

15. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My black anodized rear vents on the Bora faded as well so I went with satin black paint back when authentic OEM wasn't as anal retentive as it is today and they aren't always retaining the right things anyway. But arguing those points at concours never works ... :cool:

16. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s really a matter of if you’re going to paint them, you want to make sure you paint them the correct color.

17. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Well since the factory has no official record I doubt you'd be in trouble with black Joe as long as it isn't a real glossy black.
    I think looking at original cars no matter how nice could be misleading. I know it won't help to look on your car but are there any parts of the black trim that would be unexposed to sunlight on say a very original car?

18. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
  19. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You lucky batard ... :p

20. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    :DThanks, but I count you among the very lucky as well.. Speaking of which - what is the status of your classics... Roadworthy, or nearly so?

21. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Still trying to figure out how you didn’t get pulled over for obstruction of vision with the 6 stickers in the drivers sight line

22. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Well done Art:) Saw the photo of your son you posted elsewhere reading his novel while riding in the car, I guess he is a lost cause for classic cars huh;-)?

23. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Hmmm... .maybe because half of them are stickers from the owner's long history of donating to Police Benevolent Association(s)?

24. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yes, that's Simon. 9 years old and already jaded... LOL!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    :) During Maser Miglia in 2000 George Perfect came over from the Uk with his son about that age, we drove 1300 miles from Denver to Monterey, 18 classic Maseratis but his son never lifted his nose from his Harry Potter book despite fabulous scenery and high speeds. I swapped seats with him for a top speed attempt with George driving the car he was in and the kid just hopped wordlessly into a Mistral for that spell and went right back to reading:)