Gasly out, Albon in | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gasly out, Albon in

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, Aug 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    So tired of hearing about Ric to SF.
    He’s been unremarkable this year, and ran from Max last year with his tail between his legs.
    He’s the poster boy for mediocrity. SF need a #1 driver, not a second #2 driver.
    Plus, he doesn’t come cheaply for what you get.
    I don’t dislike him, h has a lot of charisma. But I don’t get the hype based on recent years.

Igor Ound likes this.
  2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I would say they scouted well, as opposed to developing them.

Bas likes this.
  3. stavura

stavura Formula 3

Sep 1, 2016
    U.K
    Full Name:
    Harold Lounge
    :D

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    william, bmwracer and VPX like this.
  5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    "Verstappen may have been the more unlucky of the two drivers with three more DNFs,"

Reliability certainly was an issue not addressed in the stats. Also not addressed is the development, Max clearly outqualiified Ricc.last season for instance.

But Ricc. choice was the Renault contract.

6. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    RB had nothing to lose , they made the right choice to replace Gasly , if anything they waited too long but I am sure they had a reason and wanted to give Gasly a chance and opportunity to rise up to the occasion . Now they can test the waters for next season considering that Gasly has flunked the test

VPX and Bas like this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

A driver with 12 F1 starts lol. Again what development?? LOL

8. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    RB is not stupid , we can comment from the sidelines and we never know the full story . I am sure their decision is an educated one , a calculated gamble and time will tell if they made the right call

VPX, stavura, Bas and 1 other person like this.
  9. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Yes time will tell. Ask Gasly lol.

VPX likes this.
  10. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Thecadster and william like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Unfortunate but true.

VPX and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Gasly obviously wasn't improving at all, so time to put him aside.

When Vettel first started out he certainly showed promise but was crash prone...Red Bull arguably developed him into the driver he became (and could it be argued, without the (mental?) development from the team, that he's lost that edge he needed? For sure the pressure gets to him).

Verstappen always showed an enormous amount of promise. He didn't have the fortune of honing his craft in junior formula being moved up so quickly so had to do a lot of learning in F1 with all the cameras on him. Last year they ''cracked the code'' so to say and we saw what he's truly capable off. As did Ricciardo...

Ricciardo was a great measuring point for Max/Red Bull: Obviously has the speed (see him beating Vettel), very consistent, great race craft...all you want in a driver.

Yes to a certain point, but see above.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Can already see the Hulk to Red Bull next year happening

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    That would be a surprise, he hasn't exactly set the world alight over the years,yes he had some bad luck etc but even so .

They grow their own,unless they get a chance to grab the likes of Russell ,then again even he would be a gamble too.

Hulk is headed towards F Eeeeewwww i'm afraid.

VPX, DF1 and william like this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    I see DR and Max as polar opposites. Likely why DR didnt like the heat in the RB kitchen.
    DR is stable, safe and a excellent qualifier, but not as particularly strong a racer, IMO.
    Whereas, Max is emotional, aggressive, not great in qualification but perhaps the most gifted racer on the track at this time, which compensates for his qualifying.

For this reason, I see DR as an excellent fit for Merc. But they are more likely to try to develop Ocon. How bold is Toto? Would he swap both drivers after a season like this one? Ferrari should be taking big risks here, as they seem to have little to lose. Not so with Merc.

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and Bas like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think Ricciardo is a solid racer, certainly doesn't lack speed....but I also think Verstappen (finally fully unlocked with his true potential) just has the ability to go that much quicker over a stint, something that very few drivers possess.

IMO Ricciardo is as quick or quicker than Vettel/Hamilton/Leclerc.

Ferrari's problems run so deep that they can mess around with drivers all they like...i doubt it'll bring them a championship any time soon. Unless tehy can get verstappen and Red Bull is forced with Gasly/Hartley combo:D:D:confused:

stavura and VPX like this.
  17. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    I think DR pulled an Alonso with his career going to Renault , I don’t see him winning anything there . Another waste of good talent

stavura, william, VPX and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

19. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Helmut Marko in Autobild yesterday:

https://www.autobild.de/artikel/red-bull-halbzeitbilanz-15451103.html

"Gasly has some problems with traffic, so he loses places and he does not like to overtake, so we had to react and give Albon the chance to finish the season, Gasly takes over his Toro Rosso and then we'll see who's next to Max's next year."

and concerning the car:

Positive for Red Bull in the first half of the season: It was the team that was able to increase the most during the season. The rather moderate start had a reason. Marko: "We built a car with too little downforce, we just underestimated how much progress our new engine partner Honda made, and they delivered more power than we thought. That's why we originally wanted to compensate for the missing horsepower with a chassis that is very aerodynamically efficient. But we corrected that and at the last races we were almost on par with Mercedes. We have definitely overtaken Ferrari. I think we will be competitive on every kind of racetrack in the second half of the season."

20. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    He had no where else to go. He was done at RBR, and the top teams were full. Not being allowed to win at RBR is worse than not being able to win at Renault.

william, I'm 360 Canuck and pilotoCS like this.
  21. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Good call by Red Bull. They already know what Kvyat can do. I look it at as a 9 race test-run for Albon. He has less pressure than starting from the beginning of the seasonand will get more meaningful experience in a better car at RB than STR. Red Bull has more than enough of a points cushion from 4th place McLaren to finish the season in 3rd. If Albon shows potential, he retains seat for 2020 when Red Bull will be more competitive. If he doesnt, go back to Kvyat next season. Kvyat's matured as a driver at STR, maybe will be more productive in 2020 for Red Bull.

Bas likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I had no idea this year would be so bad for Renault and Ricciardo.
    It's disastrous for the Aussie, and his carrer is taking a hit.
    If he can't get out of Renault by the end of this year, 2021 will be too late for him to recover and get a good seat somewhere.
    Even if it improves, I cannot see Renault challenging the top 3 teams for a while, if ever.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

It was his decision to leave, RBR wanted to keep him.
    I can understand the decision, but I think Ricciardo got his timing wrong.
    He should perhaps have waited another year, when more contracts will come for renewal.

bmwracer likes this.
  24. bmwracer

bmwracer Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2004
    Toronto
    My guess is that he got fed some bad info from Renault , how they are going to be a contender etc etc . The money is good but everybody wants to win and i think DC's time has passed as i don't see Renault getting their act together anytime soon . By the time he gets himself out of his contract , he will be past his marketable time .

william and Bas like this.