458 Italia: 20/21 or 21/22 Wheel Setup? | FerrariChat

458 Italia: 20/21 or 21/22 Wheel Setup?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Aug 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
  2. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you like the bigger wheels then go with 21/22. Bumps will hit harder.

I personally like 20/21 best, but it's all personal preference.

For both set ups you should lower your car on aftermarket springs to make it look the best. If you don't want to, be sure to tell the seller so they don't make one with the wrong offset.

3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Thanks for the reply. So they should have different offsets depending on suspension height?

I'm tying to figure out if the top photo I posted is stock height or if its lowered a little. Second is obviously lowered.

4. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Yes, because the wheel will naturally tuck more inwards when you lower the suspension. Most “standard” fits for custom wheels such as HRE are assuming you are going to lower the car.

I highly highly recommend you lower it. The Ferrari come with really high suspension that creates a massive wheel gap, especially in the rear. Getting bigger wheels alone won’t solve the wheel gap because the tires will be thinner to get the same overall diameter as stock.

My Speciale was lowered by 1 inch and it still rode .5 inches higher than my stock 600LT.

5. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    My preference is the 20/21 combo. Ride was still very acceptable. I lowered using Novitec to try to preserve spring rate instead of simply adjusting the spring perches. Keep in mind, however, that the sidewall of the tire is a MAJOR component of suspension compliance; you simply cannot reduce sidewall without adversely affecting ride quality.

IMHO, the 21/22 combo is less than ideal because the increased rear wheel diameter changes the gearing. It also adds a significant amount of weight unless you go with ultra expensive wheels like the HRE Lightweights. The massive weight of the rubber of a 22" tire is difficult to ignore, even if the wheels are light. I also think the 22" look too big, but YMMV.

6. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    I also went with an HRE 20/21" combo with Novitec springs. I think that if you go bigger than that you're going to have too much unsprung weight.

7. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Supsup likes this.
  8. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    Here's a pic of mine with my wife as the model.

[​IMG]

9. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Very nice! Is the car lowered? If so, how much?

10. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
    Lowered about 1.25 inches in the front and about 1 inch in the rear.

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    What wheels are those? They look great.

12. Austex458

Austex458 Karting

May 30, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Romeo Manzanilla
  13. RB9

RB9 Karting

May 27, 2011
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I’m running ADV.1 21/22 on standard height with Continental’s but have a cup kit on the way. Love the ride but we are lucky to have good roads here.

14. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Pics? :)

And what’s a cup kit?

15. RB9

RB9 Karting

May 27, 2011
    Perth
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Sorry not great pics it’s winter and haven’t gotten the chance to take some nice photos.

Waiting on my new PUR rims and the cup kit to arrive then will get some nicer pics posted.

I’m probably not the greatest to explain but in a nut shell it’s a lift setup that sits on top of the coilovers and can be used to raise or lower.

16. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017

I’m not sure if that’s not the final suspension, but your fitment looks quite off. Those wheels look to be sticking out a couple of centimetres from the fender. It looks like your car is on stock suspension. Likely those wheels were made to sit flush with a lowered suspension .

OP, this is a good example of why you should specify if you are lowering your car when ordering your wheels.

17. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Yes, I did specify to Vossen that the car will be lowered on Novitec spring. Also provided with them a couple of picture example of what look/stance that I'm striving for. (the two pictures I posted above of the matte red 458).

18. Soundcheck

Soundcheck Karting

Oct 10, 2015
    River City
    #18 Soundcheck, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    HRE P101s 255/30/21 & 335/25/22 with Novitec Rosso Sport springs on a 2013 Ferrari 458 Spider. This (ride) feels way better than stock but unable to comment on 20/21 setup other than the 21/22 looks more aggressive.

Attached Files:

Supsup likes this.
  19. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    That looks great! Also great to hear the ride is good? Im expecting it to be more harsh than stock, but it sounds like that may not be the case?

20. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    Ride is going to be more harsh than stock. No $1730 Novitec coil over is going to make bigger wheels more comfy than smaller wheels, all things being equal. It's literal physics.

21. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    Novitec NF3 on Novitec suspension. 20/21. 355 rears. YUM. Just right. Rides rough, IMO. Not bone jarring rough, but not particularly smooth. Hugs curves like crazy. Love it.

22. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Beautiful. Can you send more pics of the overall car?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

23. Scottiferrari

Scottiferrari Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Scott Doucette
  24. Scottiferrari

Scottiferrari Rookie

Feb 3, 2016
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Scott Doucette
    Top is 21 front 22rear with motegi wheels & bottom are factory that I had Ferrari dealership paint rosso corsa lowered with novitec springs

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

25. Myles mundy

Myles mundy Rookie

Nov 16, 2020
    Full Name:
    Myles Mundy
    Looks amazing,

What offset are your wheels?

thanks