The C8 and future Ferrari sales? | Page 12 | FerrariChat

The C8 and future Ferrari sales?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Nachtfalter, Jul 21, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Emotions are a part of it to be sure. But for me, that is secondary.

I appreciate the aesthetics. Body design and subtle contours that achieve all the right wind tunnel COD results and looks beautiful doing so.
    I like that the interior door handles are aluminum not plastic. I like where Ferrari uses metal fasteners where other high end offerings would opt for plastic "one time use" clips. I like the fit and finish of it all.

All of this and more is why I like my 360. HP and torque are more than adequate for me on public roads. I agree there's a lot of emotion in owning my 360 and it's usually when I have the pedal down and shifting gears. I get a kick out of the guys that pull up to me at a traffic light and want to race. As if they were able to "take me" I'd be convinced I needed to sell my 360 and buy one (or two) of what they're driving. Owning an exotic (or any of my cars) for me is more than saddling up with the latest pretty face with more HP. Folks either get it or they don't.

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    And when the honeymoon is over... reality kicks in.

3. 02360spider

02360spider Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dartmouth
    Full Name:
    Richard oliveira
  4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Just back from getting coffee in the 360... on my 10 mile drive I had 3 corvette full throttle flyby’s.... this car sure makes others react. It is a powerful automotive statement.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    As I've said, I wouldn't sell my 360 manual to get a C8, but I am going to sell my 308 to get one. I love epic road trips, and the C8 just makes the most sense for that.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    This makes the most grins, though.

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yeah it’s not nec an either or proposition.

A used c8 could be a 40k$ bargain in a few years....

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    gtr is not comparable to what c8 will do to used f market. gtr took on porsche not ferrari. gtr gave turbo performance for base 911 price. big front engine 4 seat gtr is nothing like ferrari. but a c8 is basically same proportions as a modern mid engine ferrari and offers the performance of 458 at half the price. thats a big difference. in the end, gtr forced porsche to up their game a great deal. maybe c8 will do same for ferrari

brookliner7 and one4torque like this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I hope we see a stripped cs stripped race version of the c8!

360trev likes this.
  9. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    Those are all emotional reasons. A corvette would never satisfy you.

Who else will be satisfied with a corvette while they are in the market for a “Ferrari?”

10. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    To be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you. ;)

And yes, most folks that will be buying the new C8 instead of an F-car are those who are "running numbers" on both cost and having a warranty and not looking down the road at value and loss thereof.

Funny... I believe that Honda ran an ad for their new Accord a few years back wherein the voice over quoted how all it's competitors were saying things like: Our (Toyota, Nissan, etc.) has a bigger interior than the new Honda, Our car has better hwy mileage, better this and better that than the Accord. And finally the ad showed the announcer next to the new Accord and said: You have to wonder why everyone is comparing their car to the new Accord. Makes you think...

02360spider likes this.
  11. J30022

J30022 Rookie

May 5, 2019
    Full Name:
    Jeff P
    Because we are on FerrariChat. I think the C8 has enough appeal to stand on its own for what it is.

one4torque likes this.
  12. newwurldmn

newwurldmn Karting

Jul 10, 2019
    Springfield, MA
    Full Name:
    J
    I doubt anyone is buying a corvette by running numbers. There are no numbers to justify buying a sports car. Its a different emotional itch and a Ferrari won't scratch that.

If they are running numbers, it's like 0-60; which means their emotional itch is to have the fastest production car they can afford.

You run numbers when you buy a Honda Accord - because it's a practical purchase.

MalcQV likes this.
  13. Albert Penello

Albert Penello Karting

Jul 21, 2019
    Woodinviille, WA
    Full Name:
    Albert J Penello, Jr.
    I think we can all agree that - new for new - the C8 isn't going to impact the core exotics at all. You want the rarity and driving experience of a Ferrari, Lambo or McLaren a Corvette of and kind isn't going to do it for you.

But I'm not sure if we're being honest about how is buying a 360/430 *today*, like right now. I think the person who is buying one of these cars today:
    • Loves cars and has always wanted a Ferrari
    • Has money, but not enough money for a new one.
    • Is a "car guy" and has some familiarity working on them and/or knowledge of what's available
    • Is thinking hard about this purchase - PPI, CarFax, Research, Forums, etc. They are informed buyers.
    I just don't believe that anyone getting a used Ferrari is doing this purchase with pure emotion. Maybe pure emotion for a Ferrari, but the actual car purchase is requiring a lot of work.

I have to believe the person who has one or more of the traits above isn't ALSO thinking about the C8 as well. Not if your overriding factor is #1 - but if it's the other three then the C8 is a very viable alternative.

The C8 still isn't out yet so let's see what the car is like in action, what the first few years brings in terms of issues and maintenance - but if the car follows the same quality history as the last 3 Corvette generations, then I have to believe there is going to be a market adjustment of some sort on 360's and 430's.

ml65, 78bonanza, EastMemphis and 3 others like this.
  14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Mclaren already did that and it's precisely why the 488 is Turbocharged and with a bit of effort can be modified to make 800hp, exactly what it's easy to get out of a 720S unsurprisingly..

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    im pretty sure mac, ferrari, porsche, etc all went turbo due to govt regulations. i dont think 1 led the other to do it to keep up. lambo is the only hold out and they will probably go turbo in near future. too bad

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ferrari where doing just fine on emissions front due to light weigh cars and aggressive emissions mapping under 4000rpm, the problem clearly was the arms race of power.

If your soon to be main rival by volume sales can beat you in every single performance benchmark stat your forced to follow too therefore they had no choice. Emissions was just a win win, not primarily reason in itself. Ferrari could have always done more with their HELE hybrid power train if it had become a hurdle anyway...

Skidkid likes this.
  17. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

Yep...and how many corvettes do you feel the need or urge to fly by at full tilt?

For me it's is none.

TomAZ, Apollo 11, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  18. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    For what it's worth, I bought my gated 360 coupe in March of this year. I knew about the C8, but it was not in consideration. I think the vette will be a great car and lots of fun, but I won't own one... I bought the 360 because it was my dream car as a teenager (and ever since). I like to have cars that you don't see every day, and the vette surely will be seen everywhere in short order. I have driven several vettes and they are fun, but I have no interest in owning one. I will happily care for my 360 as the previous original owner did and I don't think I'll ever sell it. There's just something about ferrari that you can't get anywhere else. If you are strictly looking for performance/value then the vette is a good choice, just not for me. I could care less if other cars are faster, the 360 is more car than I am driver anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Apollo 11, kes7u and KC360 FL like this.
  19. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    As a former getter owner who still knows vette owners, I don’t think the c8 will impact 360/430’s.
    C7 owners already think their cars are superior in the bang for the buck category. It’s not like the c8 addresses some weakness in their minds, nor should it. Most vette guys I know can’t understand why anyone would buy anything other than a vette....and that was before the c8. But it will crush sales of sub-exotic cars like the NSX, R8.

KC360 FL and Robb like this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This.

I've stated ealrier I like the C8, quite a lot. I ended up in a Ferrari by accident but once I decided it was [any] Ferrari I could afford there was nothing to change my mind.
    I decided on a Mondial, it was either that or a GT4 at the time (308's were just out of reach for me then) but my then missus tried to get me looking at Jaguar XK8's, TVR Cerbera as they were all similar money but definitely better performance.
    I wanted a Ferrari and that's what I bought. Nearly strayed to a Lamborghini once but to quote another Fchat member (sorry the name I have forgot :() and probably from this thread, I liked so much I kept it :-

I take performance for granted. It’s a Ferrari, so I know it’s capabilities are impressive
    (relative to the era of the car). It never phased me, although I appreciate that some are all caught
    up in power and speed. To me, Ferrari ownership is an appreciation of beauty, design, scents, sounds
    (real engine sounds, not contrived sounds by tacking on after market exhausts). It’s a pure visceral
    experience. Also, it’s about being part (albeit a small part) of the great heritage and
    legacy of the brand, it’s models, it’s racing and it's personalities.

21. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #296 I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Let’s take the mid engine out of the equation.

Did the c7 zr1 steal sales from the 812 superfast? Or perhaps some other front engine Ferrari closer to the zr1 price point?

My theory is, if you want a vette to most financially efficiently bench race everyone lose, then you will buy a vette.
    If you want an Italian exotic, then that’s what you will buy.
    Ferrari is no longer the pinnacle of performance stats, even at the LaF level. So, there must be some other intangible that sells them, other than magazine track #s.

A lot of people who own a Ferrari will likely add a c8 to their stable as well, but not replace the Ferrari. same with the 360/430, they are now such a bargain, a lot of people will/do have them as stablemates along other cars.

Apollo 11 and brookliner7 like this.
  22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    812 v zr1 is interesting. obviously, no one ever cross shopped those 2 but I think c8/430 is different. mid engine is such a unique thing in and of itself that it makes them similar while the other 2 are just front engine like everything else.

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Agree completely. Engine placement doesn't put it on par with Ferrari.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Ya, and I think American quasi muscle car vs a European semi-exotic is pretty distinct as well.

I’m hesitant to denigrate a vette as a muscle car, bc it is much more than that but around here, that’s the circle they run in at car shows, right between the camaros and “mustang corral”. Italian cars don’t mix in the same way for some reason...they get grouped with the Germans. Which is why I think the Cayman was a bigger threat to the 360, and the c8 will soundly trash the NSX which was never well established. Will the c8 impact the Ford Gt values? Doubtful due to different production numbers and msrp. But, who knows?

What I’m more curious about, is, what will resale values look like on the c810-20 years from now? Will they sit at approx 50% of original msrp as a Ferrari tends to, or will they go down to $15k as many Vettes tend to? My prediction is, the latter. They are still a vette, and Chevy will escalate the horsepower war as they tend to, thus slaughtering values of earlier models. They just didn’t want to piss off those with outstanding orders of 2019’s....yet.
    This is interesting to me, bc that’s one of the differences imo between a vette and a Ferrari. The 15 years later up-on-concrete-blocks-in-the-back-of-a-driveway factor.

25. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    however much the out-of-warranty-service-cost for the C8 is, it's gotta be less than whatever Ferrari tax quoted by indy or dealers these days...

flat_plane_eddie likes this.