Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Mid Engine Corvette to be introed tomorrow, Predicting it will hurt used Ferrari V8 resales

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

2. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Haven't seen the car yet, but if it is what we are thinking it is, this car will be a game-changer not just for Chevrolet but for General Motors.

3. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

So why did you not buy one prior to this iteration. The C6, C7 would destroy most Ferraris earlier than the 458. Is it just because it's mid-engine?

I like the look of the car in pictures, but would really like to see it live. It looks very big when I see people around.

As I have already stated its a non starter for me, without a manual. I just like being engaged when I drive a my sports/fun cars. I'm not tracking it or would I worry about a second or two a lap if I were. If I were racing it would not be in a steet car anyway.

INTMD8 likes this.
  4. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Mid-Engine = Exotic to many people.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ferrari charges $4800 for a piece of software so you can have Apply Carplay

Its standard no charge in the C8. One of my pet peeves about Fcars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mbutner, slm, LightGuy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Exactly...And when the reviews come in and it's as good as everybody anticipates, people who don't care about status are going to think 'and how much am I paying to get inferior technology'. Front lift that memorizes location, rear view mirror camera, electronically adjustable brakes...etc..

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The front lift memory is really cool

LightGuy and TheMayor like this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yes and what is interesting is that as you approach it, it will know and then start to lift even before you stop at it. So it will start about 2 or 3 seconds before the obstacle is there.

9. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Just another problem waiting to happen.

IMO why you can't own any of the new cars after their warranties are over.

BJK likes this.
  10. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Heck, got my boys new VWs last fall. Had apple CarPlay standard. Just got a BMW M8 - came standard.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Came standard on my M5. It's absolute BS Ferrari charges for it.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Next year bmw charging for it too
    Welcome to the monetization of the driver
    It’s going to be like your tv

13. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Boardwalk Chevy-- one of the top Vette dealers in Redwood City CA -- sending out notifications it is getting an allocation of 200 cars and STILL has 80 open slots available.

Kinda put a crimp in the "almost sold out" BS.

Mbutner and anunakki like this.
  14. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Reminds me of my industry. All of the companies call fake sell-outs to lure in the customers who were on the fence. They tell them they will put them on a 'wait list' but in reality the spots are available. So a few weeks/months later when they get confirmation of their order the customers are excited.

TheMayor likes this.
  15. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    As a lifelong Washington Redskin fan, the franchise crowed about it's years long waiting list, and the fact that every game was "sold out" when you could clearly see the half empty stadium on TV. Only recently did they quietly do away with both sales tactics.

anunakki likes this.
  16. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I actually like the GM styling for the C8 Vette way better than the new version of the NSX or the Supra. For the money it would seem to be a real challenge to both new and used NSX market as well as the new new Supra. However I have driven none of those vehicles and that is the real test.

I believe the C8 will have some impact on the used Ferrari market but a Ferrari is still a Ferrari and I am not so inclined to think there is a great amount of crossover. Corvettes just don’t seem to be “dream cars” IMO just because there are just so many of them. As such a Vette dream could be pretty easily realized.

jm2 likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Top speed announced is 194 MPH. My guess is it doesn't do this in 8th gear.

18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Where did you read this top speed? It seems very quick AND fast for only 495 hp.

19. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    thecarreaper likes this.
  20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My above statement is incorrect. Magnaride DOES require Z51, which is disappointing.

22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m happy with the pricing structure. I’m more curious how they’ll achieve sub 3 seconds to 60 and 194 mph top speed with less than 500 hp.

23. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    Corvettes have been a performance value for years and I think have improved quality with each iteration. I am curious how the C8 actually preforms.

24. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I think I have a pretty good guess. Yes, top speed may be 194 but it doesn't say how long to get there.

The engine has excellent low end torque vs a turbo twin cam. That's why it doesn't have launch control. It doesn't need to rev the engine to 3000 rpm and drop the clutch. So they gear 1-2 very low and get faster acceleration. Then 5-8 are geared every tall for fuel economy.

And the reason they say only the Z51 has these numbers is because the Z51 has 5 hp more plus an Ediff to control wheel spin and a different rear end axle ratio, along with different tires.

It may reach 194 but I'm sure any Mac or Ferrari would get there much faster.