Why interior bits get sticky | FerrariChat

Why interior bits get sticky

Discussion in '348/355' started by Carmellini, Aug 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    in my search for a car, I recently came across one without any sticky interior trim. are there certain regions of the country that are better/worse for this condition? is it heat related? cold related? more prevalent in humid climates? are there areas of the county where the "stickies" NEVER occur? or is it all random like a roulette wheel?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    They ALL get sticky. The ones that are not sticky are those that have been refinished either by the owner or a professional shop.

3. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Anything with that rubberized coating gets sticky. I had all the parts on my 348 refinished - some easier parts DIY and others pro.

My 911 is the same way. The center console is finished with that crap and it's getting sticky.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    can't say for certain, but I don't think the previous owner(s) of this car spent money to have the trim redone. the car was in New Mexico most of its life, I was thinking that cars in dry low humid areas may not succumb to sticky disease.

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    We can say for certain that the OEM coating will turn sticky at some point no matter what environmental conditions they are subjected to. Could some environments, cleaners, unknown factors speed up or slow down the process? Sure, maybe there’s no way to categorically say what certain things a specific car has been subjected to that slowed or sped the process. Many would say the heat in NM would negate any dry/ low humidity gains. Unless the car has never been parked outside before. You can buy new old stock parts from Ferrari that have been on a shelf in the box and when you open them for the very first time they are already sticky.
    For a 348/355 age car to show no signs of sticky? It’s very likely they have been refinished you just don’t know about it. What makes you think the previous owners wouldn’t have had it done or done it themselves? This seems like an odd statement unless you know something we don’t. I mean so many parts are getting refinished on a daily bases it supports several refinishing companies plus a large number that get the DIY treatment. Why would it be a surprise to you that these were refinished?

6. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    ^^^ok, 100% failure for sticky; thanks for clarification.

just seems like the car didn't get all the proper love over the years. obviously, I am wrong, because the plastic is perfect!

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If the plastic is perfect and feels like plastic and you don't feel a rubber texture it was redone. Even nos parts can come sticky.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    thank you. I get it. one less thing to address with this particular car. :)

Wade likes this.
  9. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    moving on, a bit.........what chemical/cleaners should NOT be used on this plastic? thinking that some solutions might exacerbate the decay? conversely, is there a "best" product to use?

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    So true on NOS parts. I bought a soft targa top 2 years ago (I know y'all green with envy..esp since its the one that fits like the OEM hard targa.. + I only paid $985)

But i digress .... opened up the box laid my soft hands on those latches... looked like I put my hands in tar.

Clean stuff with water. But there's a couple pros on here who may have a better solution (pun intended).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. QSA

QSA Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    Kingwood, TX
    Full Name:
    Quinn
    Except that most advice on here and from “pros” seem to advise using isopropyl alcohol followed by a coating.

13. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It depends on the questions context. If your plastics still have sticky on them then I would not use alcohol, I "believe" that is what he was asking. If you feel it is prudent to use alcohol on un-stickied plastics then by all means please do, but its a mistake. If they are stripped already and pained or are bare plastic then sure isopropyl alcohol.

14. Carmellini

Jul 16, 2019
    curious: I am aware of the companies that restore plastic, and seen DIY videos that use a plasti dip spray can. the claimed and shown results are pretty darn good, but not impervious to scratches and other damage. is there an alternative (better) to plasti dip?

15. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Many leave it bare plastic. I would. Some use various rattle cans. It all looks good initially. Any paint other than auto paint sprayed on after proper prep is likely to visually degrade over time though. I would not use Plasti dip others may have other opinions. I have Sticky No More parts in mine the stuff is better than new.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    There is only one place that does then right. That is Dave Rocks and Sticky Rx. I've seen some of Sticky No More's work and it left a lot to be desired. Personally, I refinished some of my 355 parts myself. I used rattle can stuff, but it's not over the counter. It was industrial grade and matched the OEM finish very closely and holds up as good and anything you can buy anywhere.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Note that the radio surround has not been refinished but the plastic piece around the gauges has.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion likes this.
  17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    good point on the paint I know there is some stuff from Poland that is supposed to work well so there is some stuff out there. It's the Rust-Oleum spray paint that I woild question. I have a damaged console I bought (75 bucks) and stripped and tested krylon stuff. Dropping keys and dragging them left marks. Who knows maybe my technique sucks but I prepped with sanding and Mek. Paint stuck like it was bonded bit scratches annoyed me.

In the end it's just abs plastic mostly it's how well the finish resists scratches is what you want to test. You can buy abs sheets and test with it's the same stuff.

My car came with SNM already done it predated me. Looks fine to me but my 348 is much easier than 355.

I planned on buying spares and refinishing in the end SNM had spare console and vent done so I bought them and I never went with diy for spare parts.

Good luck and if you test and select some method, share it.:)

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Have seen Sticky RX and Sticky No More on several fellow owner's cars. Excellent work.
    As did John, I refinished my prior 348 and 355. Tedious but results very good.
    Lorenzo refinished my current 360 interior parts. Excellent quality.

19. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Just a matter of time before they all get sticky. Never use anything on the parts to keep them clean other than a slightly water damp microfiber, we do not even recommend using interior cleaners made specifically for that purpose. Send us an email with any questions you have.